• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Wow Swype works great, I need to get used to it though. Too bad the first language isn't English over here. I need to get used to typing words with two letters as well, like "too" is kinda annoying.

Finally got it installed. So eager to start playing with it.

Just off the bat, its a LEEEEEETLE sluggish on the iPhone 5.

Its also crashed a few times. Agreements left and right.

Just finished installing and I'm loving the new details feature where you can see all the sent videos and images without having to go so far back in the messages.

Enco

Is Swiftkey supposed to be better than Swype?
Never used either but from what I've read Swype is better at swiping and Swiftkey is better at prediction.

Since Swiftkey is free I'll try that first then maybe think about Swype if I'm not happy.

Don't see the point of Minuum.

Majine

Banned
The problem for me about these new keyboards is that they seemingly don't support the special characters of my language.

Mr Swine

Banned
So does iOS have some light multitasking? Now I can switch tabs on safari from YouTube listening to music to another without it stopping

Is Swiftkey supposed to be better than Swype?

Swiftkey is a better typing keyboard and better at predicting your next word. With Swiftkey the keys are laid out to be more spacious and comfortable, and you will very often be able to tap the suggestions to complete 3 or 4 words in a row. For swiping, you have to be very deliberate to get the word you're thinking of, and even then, you often will get the wrong result, even on simple words like "and" (abs).

Swype is much better at swiping. You can swipe quickly and mess up your ordering and it'll still get it right more often than not. It's also a decent keyboard, but the space key is a little too small. I believe Swype uses the row of words to show alternates to the word you swiped for, where Swiftkey uses it to show the next word you want, so it's easier to correct a wrong swiped result on Swype as well. On the flip side, Swype's next word prediction has made no impression on me.

I like both but prefer Swype.

Deku Tree

Links to all the keyboards that are up so far... if you have more, please add them.

Fleksy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id520337246
Swype: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id916365675
Minuum: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id914968934
TouchPal: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id909654683

SwiftKey isn't up yet. There are a few others coming today that I know of that aren't showing up in search yet and the devs haven't provided links.

TouchPal is free. Does that mean it's not good?

kaskade

Some of my group messages turned into group mms for some reason. I fixed one by deleting it then redoing it but I don't want to lose the conversation. I can receive the imessages but my phone replies in text. It works as imessage from my ipad and macbook though. Very weird.

RevoDS

Considering the anger of 16GB users, the thread subtitle is kinda funny/sad now.

I don't understand why they're surprised.

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous, but then again my mom's 8GB iPhone 4 needed 4.5GB free to update from iOS 7 to whatever version (7.1 I think) that fixed the goto fail bug.

She ended up changing the whole device because there was no way she could free that much space and the security issue was kind of major there.

It's a big issue, but it isn't new in any way.

Some of my group messages turned into group mms for some reason. I fixed one by deleting it then redoing it but I don't want to lose the conversation. I can receive the imessages but my phone replies in text. It works as imessage from my ipad and macbook though. Very weird.

Yea I messed up an entire group conversation by renaming it. None of my contacts had iOS8 at the time.

noomi

They got rid of the "backup now" option under iCloud.... I liked seeing when the last backuop happened, and being able to force it :(

Also, I upgraded to icloud drive... not sure if that does anything for me since I don't use files or anything....

Estocolmo

Sorry if I understood something here but where the hell is my iCloud Drive app? I want to be able to see and control my content in the iCloud, just like I do on Dropbox or Google Drive!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
seems like the least exciting ios release to date tbh

i guess handoff will be cool

when i buy a new mac in three years that supports it

Interfectum

They got rid of the "backup now" option under iCloud.... I liked seeing when the last backuop happened, and being able to force it :(

Also, I upgraded to icloud drive... not sure if that does anything for me since I don't use files or anything....

The option is there for me.

Still there for me.

Until Yosemite is out, and more apps start supporting widgets and extensions, iOS 8 is just a nifty update. However, I'm absolutely loving the new Spotlight. Its really like Google for me on the phone. Searching everything, and its pretty snappy too!

Sorry if I understood something here but where the hell is my iCloud Drive app? I want to be able to see and control my content in the iCloud, just like I do on Dropbox or Google Drive!

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think there will be a standalone iCloud Drive app, but any app can access the data so you can just install a finder-like app to manage it.

zert

Is this normal?
BxwfQTVIYAA1kEV.jpg:large

A random app icon appeared in the corner like the camera app, if I swipe it the app opens. Is this normal? If so how do I remove it?

Top Bottom