• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Heel

Great list, subbed.

One I'd add is AppZapp / AppZapp Pro. It's great for getting push notifications or emails on price drops for the apps you want to keep an eye on. Also useful for checking the app sales charts for what's new, popular or trending in different categories.

Had previously been using AppShopper, but as Wario64 noted this AppZapp will pull the update information from other regions, so you can know about the price drop (or increase!) before it happens, not hours after.

Quick

Banned
Thanks, Heel. I usually have the Apps news on Flipboard to tell me what apps go on sale or available for free, but this app sounds like a better notifier.

Hey guys,

This seems like some Instagram hackapp, but does anyone know how to make your pics look like this

8ae0f1d4309111e291d612313804ecc1_7.jpg

With the frames

Quick

Banned
Hey guys,

This seems like some Instagram hackapp, but does anyone know how to make your pics look like this

8ae0f1d4309111e291d612313804ecc1_7.jpg

With the frames

The one I have is Grid Lens (Universal, $0.99). I barely use it, but I don't think you can go wrong with $0.99. You get to either follow the presets available, or make your own.

Slice is the package tracker I use because it works on iOS, Android, and the web. Also Mr. Reader is a good iPad Google Reader app that I also use.

http://kitcamapp.com

A great camera app with great options and such. Time lapse, exposure, tilt shift, etc.

I'll add these in, as well. Thanks guys.

Quick

Banned
Added a ton of new suggestions (thanks, guys!) , as well as a Podcasts section (how could I miss this). Wouldn't mind getting a couple more to add to that section. Waze seems to be the only maps app everyone's recommending, so I may just merge it with "Others".

Mercury browser is really nice - I'd recommend that(I chose it over Chrome and Dolphin)
It has Firefox bookmark syncing, file transfers via wifi, dropbox support and most of the features you'd find in other browsers(gestures, private mode etc.) and its free.

Quick

Banned
Mercury browser is really nice - I'd recommend that(I chose it over Chrome and Dolphin)
It has Firefox bookmark syncing, file transfers via wifi, dropbox support and most of the features you'd find in other browsers(gestures, private mode etc.) and its free.

I'll add it in, thanks. I remember this recommended in the old thread, but completely forgot when I was jotting down the list.

Heel

Thanks, Heel. I usually have the Apps news on Flipboard to tell me what apps go on sale or available for free, but this app sounds like a better notifier.

Yeah! By the way, there are free and pro HD versions for iPad if you want to add those in.

Appshopper is also a nice free app that can track prices of paid apps you wish to buy.

Was using this, but AppZapp pulls in its information from other regions that get updated before the U.S. and others, whereas AppShopper doesn't. Meaning you will know about price drops and increases before they happen instead of afterwards.

Both are good, but I'd definitely commit to AppZapp if starting for scratch for that reason.

nashb81

Neo Member
Yeah! By the way, there are free and pro HD versions for iPad if you want to add those in.

Was using this, but AppZapp pulls in its information from other regions that get updated before the U.S. and others, whereas AppShopper doesn't. Meaning you will know about price drops and increases before they happen instead of afterwards.

Both are good, but I'd definitely commit to AppZapp if starting for scratch for that reason.

Oh didn't know that. Will try it out then. Thanks.

nashb81

Neo Member
Both added. Thanks again, Heel and nashb81.

Thanks to you, I got a shitload of apps today.

Also if anyone's interested, cinexplayer HD seems like a really good video app for the iPad 2, especially since it's one of the few players that still offer AC3 support.

Quick

Banned
Thanks to you, I got a shitload of apps today.

Also if anyone's interested, cinexplayer HD seems like a really good video app for the iPad 2, especially since it's one of the few players that still offer AC3 support.

The UI looks so much nicer than AVPlayerHD. If I cared more, I'd buy it and replace AVPHD for this.

I'll be adding this to the list.

mandiller

My favourite news app by far is Newsify

I really recommend it to anyone who wants to read their google reader feeds on the go. I've got it filled up with tech blogs and gaming sites. Sogood.gif

nHqUP.png
qZNAp.jpg

The app is universal and it's just as fantastic on iPad.

Newsify - App Store

Prismatic is awesome. Can try it out on the web.

Effortlessly discover stories based on your interests. As soon as you sign up with Facebook, Twitter or G+, we start learning about you and connecting you with the most interesting stories. Prismatic is a smart personal news feed with simple layouts that creates a delightful reading experience.

My sister bought an iPad Mini the other day and I was flicking through it. Hated the skeumorphic stuff. Is this recent on iDevices? I definitely don't remember it being this way on people's iPhones a few years back.

Pachimari

Great list, subbed.

One I'd add is AppZapp / AppZapp Pro. It's great for getting push notifications or emails on price drops for the apps you want to keep an eye on. Also useful for checking the app sales charts for what's new, popular or trending in different categories.

Had previously been using AppShopper, but as Wario64 noted this AppZapp will pull the update information from other regions, so you can know about the price drop (or increase!) before it happens, not hours after.
I can't find this in the App Store.
I don't understand why Viber hasn't been added? It's just as popular as WhatsApp. I know nobody using WhatsApp (acknowledging its popular) while everyone I know in different European countries use Viber.

Add XE Currency as well. Perfect for translating currencies, also very popular.

mrkgoo

Both added. Thanks again, Heel and nashb81.

I mentioned appshopper earlier. I dunno, it's gotta be my lack of using an avatar it something, but it as though 90% of my posts tend to go unread.

Or I'm too wordy or something. Lol, I wrote an email to a friend about iTunes 11 saying, "I doubt the feature you wanted has been added" and he replied, "that feature I want gas been added? Yes!! Can't wait!"

Can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I just hang out in the same threads too often so I just see it more.

Does anyone know of a way to stream audiobooks to iOS devices? I don't want to constantly sync with itunes, and I'd want the app to remember playback positions. I'd love to have my audiobook collection on my phone without having it take up huge amounts of space or require syncing the phone every time I want to listen to something new. e

mrkgoo

Does anyone know of a way to stream audiobooks to iOS devices? I don't want to constantly sync with itunes, and I'd want the app to remember playback positions. I'd love to have my audiobook collection on my phone without having it take up huge amounts of space or require syncing the phone every time I want to listen to something new. e

Do audio books from iTunes allow you to do that from the cloud?

My sister bought an iPad Mini the other day and I was flicking through it. Hated the skeumorphic stuff. Is this recent on iDevices? I definitely don't remember it being this way on people's iPhones a few years back.

game center, calendar and podcasts are arguably the worst. but most of the time it isnt that bad.

kr2t0s

rdio

drafts - great front end for a lot of apps. one of the most used apps on my phone (icon is ugly though)

30/30 - great time management app that riffs off how clear works. set a 30 minute timer to browse the web, write, etc. can plus or minus 5 minute increments

day one - beautiful journal app

omnifocus - expensive but arguably the best time management app

1password - expensive, new app is about to come out but i can't live without it

mrkgoo

game center, calendar and podcasts are arguably the worst. but most of the time it isnt that bad.

No particular love for calendar, and while game centre is offensive, I'm not sure I'd rather a bland list for it, because, lets face it, that's all that app is.

And I actually really like the pod cast app. You can hide the skeumorphism by pulling the cover down and that action tickles my fancy.

Funny, that and maps are two things I was told I'd hate in ios6, but I like them both.

No. Audiobooks are not included into iTunes Match/cloud stuff.

Bummer.

No particular love for calendar, and while game centre is offensive, I'm not sure I'd rather a bland list for it, because, lets face it, that's all that app is.

And I actually really like the pod cast app. You can hide the skeumorphism by pulling the cover down and that action tickles my fancy.

Funny, that and maps are two things I was told I'd hate in ios6, but I like them both.

Bummer.

i do have to admit im impressed with how fluid the page turning is on calendar. turning it slow really is like turning a page slow in real life. thankfully i only use the calendar on the iphone which is nice and simple. "overdone" is pretty much the word.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fantastic thread, Quick. I love the way you've organized it and kept it clean.

How often does Tweetbot go on sale? Y'all think it might now its the holidays? Also really tempted to get Fantastical during their introductory sale.

Another thing regarding Jasmine/McTube: McTube may have an uglier UI but its a wee bit more functional, didn't know you could enable background play on it either until today. The UI for video playback is 1000x better than Jasmine's though, which is the stock QuickTime player. Also I don't like how in McTube the video starts playing immediately on the description page, is there a way to change that?

mojiimbo

How often does Tweetbot go on sale? Y'all think it might now its the holidays? Also really tempted to get Fantastical during their introductory sale.
It's been on sale once in the last year and a half but they're probably done with that now that there's a finite cap on user tokens.

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbot-mac

Anyone have any insight into the pros and cons of tweetbot vs the new twiterrific aside from the latter being universal?

mrkgoo

Fantastic thread, Quick. I love the way you've organized it and kept it clean.

Another thing regarding Jasmine/McTube: McTube may have an uglier UI but its a wee bit more functional, didn't know you could enable background play on it either until today. The UI for video playback is 1000x better than Jasmine's though, which is the stock QuickTime player. Also I don't like how in McTube the video starts playing immediately on the description page, is there a way to change that?

Another reason I visit appshopper a lot - you can see the price change history for any app.

mrkgoo

What are some good newsstand apps, in particular for iPhone5?

I don't really want to read them as such, but that damned icon looks so sparse it's sad.

I have a few issues of EDGE, which I actually do enjoy. I want to get MacWorld, but sadly that's iPad only.

While I'm here, what's the difference between a 1 month subscription and just buying an issue? Do you lose the issue in the subscription? Or is it cheaper because you don't have a choice of the issue? I don't get why it's cheaper for 1 month subscription than to just get that issue.

Edit: Oh I get it. A monthly subscription means it will automatically renew every month, I suppose. What's stopping you from getting that, and that issue then cancelling?

Anyone here use Reeder? I've been thinking about buying it, and I'm really interested because there is an iPhone, iPad, and Mac version and supposedly they all sync your RSS feeds. Just curious about anyone's opinion before I buy it.

Mairu

Anyone here use Reeder? I've been thinking about buying it, and I'm really interested because there is an iPhone, iPad, and Mac version and supposedly they all sync your RSS feeds. Just curious about anyone's opinion before I buy it.

It's the best RSS reader for anyone who doesn't care for the fancy magazine-style shit that Flipboard and those alternatives do to feeds. I've been using it forever and every time I use my Nexus 7 I get disappointed about not having Reeder on Android

Pachimari

It's the best reeder out there. Go buy it, you won't regret.

It's the best RSS reader for anyone who doesn't care for the fancy magazine-style shit that Flipboard and those alternatives do to feeds. I've been using it forever and every time I use my Nexus 7 I get disappointed about not having Reeder on Android

It's the best reeder out there. Go buy it, you won't regret.

Thank you for the quick responses. Looks like I'll be buying Reeder.

Tried it out but don't see what it has over Flipboard.

Flipboard looks a lot nicer and is more fun to use.

I'll keep with it for a bit.

Prismatic is more like Zite, it can learn things you like and tailor to that. But I use Flipboard, Zite, and Prismatic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's been on sale once in the last year and a half but they're probably done with that now that there's a finite cap on user tokens.

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbot-mac

Anyone have any insight into the pros and cons of tweetbot vs the new twiterrific aside from the latter being universal?
Thanks!

Another reason I visit appshopper a lot - you can see the price change history for any app.
Oh for real? Damn, I think it's about time I downloaded that AppShopper app.

Quick

Banned
I'm almost at the character limit on the OP, so I'll hold off on adding new suggestions, but they're in this thread, so that's all that counts. Thanks a lot, guys.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm almost at the character limit on the OP, so I'll hold off on adding new suggestions, but they're in this thread, so that's all that counts. Thanks a lot, guys.
IMO the starter kit section isn't really necessary, it's essentially a short list of a short list. Won't save you a lot of space, but yeah.

It's probably help if eventually we could cut down on the similar apps that don't have enough unique about them to differentiate them in the eyes of someone looking for something specific from the apps. (i.e. Hipstamatic offering everything Instagram does, but costing more, McTube doing everything Jasmine does and more, etc.)

Quick

Banned
IMO the starter kit section isn't really necessary, it's essentially a short list of a short list. Won't save you a lot of space, but yeah.

It's probably help if eventually we could cut down on the similar apps that don't have enough unique about them to differentiate them in the eyes of someone looking for something specific from the apps. (i.e. Hipstamatic offering everything Instagram does, but costing more, McTube doing everything Jasmine does and more, etc.)

Yep, already took off the starter kit. And I'll trim the list down.

I figured I'd keep them to give people options, but I'll trim some of them off.

Top Bottom