• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

NekoFever

Tell me more. I have 1Password on my Mac and I love it. I use it all the time and the Chrome extension is priceless. I have put off purchasing the iOS version because I keep reading reviews that absolutely hate it as well as ones that absolutely love it. And what is this new app coming out? When is this happening?
It's popping up in the international app stores now, so it might be up on yours. Try this link.

My first impressions are that it's way more polished than the old version, but I'm sure there will be an exhaustive rundown of everything new once reviews come out and Agilebits puts up a blog post about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's popping up in the international app stores now, so it might be up on yours. Try this link.

My first impressions are that it's way more polished than the old version, but I'm sure there will be an exhaustive rundown of everything new once reviews come out and Agilebits puts up a blog post about it.
Got it! Works and looks really nice too. And it's half price. So that's cool. And it linked to my DropBox database with no problem. Bravo. Bravo.

FerranMG

Any impressions of Fantastical from people who've been using it for a little while now?

Yep. I didn't like it.
I'm not sure if I already posted my impressions, but anyways...

First of all, if you are switching from the stock app, then probably the change will be for the best. I mean, the stock calendar app plain sucks.
However, I've been using Calvetica for the past year and a half, and still like it much better than any other calendar app I have ever tried.

The two main points of Fantastical didn't click with me.
First one would be the natural language input thing. For me, in the iPhone, it's faster to input the information by hand. I always have troubles setting the alarms with Fantastical, and with Calvetica I can plenty of them just with one tap.
Second one would be the DayTicker and the Month view. You can only see events for one single day in the Month view. When I look at my calendar, I like seeing what I have planned for the whole week (at least), not only IF I have planned anything or not.
The DayTicker, on the other hand, gives me too little information on future events, but I can see what I have scheduled for the following days.

Maybe these things can be improved in future releases, but right now, to me, Calvetica is still the better app.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm replacing stock apps on iOS with alternatives left and right (ie Chrome, Gmail)... so I'm looking at Music.app. Any superior alternatives to that?

FerranMG

I'm replacing stock apps on iOS with alternatives left and right (ie Chrome, Gmail)... so I'm looking at Music.app. Any superior alternatives to that?

I've done exactly the same throughout two years.
Contacts -> Dialvetica
Maps -> (probably Google Maps, still have to check it out)
Reminders -> 2Do
Camera -> Instagram
Messages -> WhatsApp
Podcasts -> Downcast
Weather -> WeatherPro
Calendar -> Calvetica
Safari -> iCab

It's a bit sad when you think about it, that Apple can't pull an outstanding app in any of those fields.

Regarding the Music app, it's one of the few I still use, but I read Track8 seemed to be a good alternative.
If you try it, let us know what you think about it!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Contacts -> Dialvetica
Reminders -> 2Do
Camera -> Instagram
Messages -> WhatsApp
Podcasts -> Downcast
Weather -> WeatherPro
Calendar -> Calvetica
Safari -> iCab

It's a bit sad when you think about it, that Apple can't pull an outstanding app in any of those fields.

Regarding the Music app, it's one of the few I still use, but I read Track8 seemed to be a good alternative.

Cheers for the examples.. I'll be trying those. And yeah... Maps definitely goes to the new Google Maps, it's wonderful. I'm using iOS5 maps and it's still an upgrade.

FerranMG

New 1Password worth the upgrade cost?

So 1Password 4 is not a free upgrade from the previous version?

edit: well, it seems it isn't. :(

My main issue with the old 1 Password app was that, even though it was universal, I could not access the passwords in my iPhone from my iPad, and viceversa.
You only could if you had the desktop version (which costs like 1 MILLION BUCKS), and then you synched via desktop.

Reading the new app description, it now says
1Password automatically synchronizes your data across all your devices.

✓ iCloud support on iOS means secure syncing with Apple simplicity

but I don't wanna be screwed again.
Can anyone confirm that you can sync the iPad and iPhone passwords without using the desktop app? And that you ONLY need the iOS version of the app to do so?

vareon

Does anyone here subscribed to Wired's digital edition? If I subscribe the monthly subscription, will I be able to download that month's edition and all the previous ones?

Any news on when Splashtop is going to add the Windows 8 touch and gesture support into Splashtop 2 for iOS? The Android version has been updated months ago, with a statement that they were working on the iOS version as well, but the last update was in September.

lupinko

Contacts -> Dialvetica
Reminders -> 2Do
Camera -> Instagram
Messages -> WhatsApp
Podcasts -> Downcast
Weather -> WeatherPro
Calendar -> Calvetica
Safari -> iCab

I'll probably get around to doing this soon.

Although even tho it's pretty vanilla, I do like Safari over Chrome well at least for iOS devices.

Any news on when Splashtop is going to add the Windows 8 touch and gesture support into Splashtop 2 for iOS? The Android version has been updated months ago, with a statement that they were working on the iOS version as well, but the last update was in September.

Not sure, but I also wish they'd add iPhone 5 screen support

bob page

The new Flickr app is excellent- I can see I replacing Instagram for me.

Also out today: Last.fm Scrobbler, Amazon Instant Video

btkadams

Contacts -> Dialvetica
Reminders -> 2Do
Camera -> Instagram
Messages -> WhatsApp
Podcasts -> Downcast
Weather -> WeatherPro
Calendar -> Calvetica
Safari -> iCab

i use siri a lot, so it keeps me on the main apple apps (messages, ical, reminders). i only really ever use camera when i want quick photos from the lockscreen. otherwise, i take them in camera+.

i tried gmail for a week and didn't like it though. i'm surprised people are using it instead, tbh. i don't like how it doesn't group multiple accounts into one inbox and it feels much slower than apple mail. my daily grind of marking my millions of emails as read takes longer in gmail.

Mairu

i use siri a lot, so it keeps me on the main apple apps (messages, ical, reminders). i only really ever use camera when i want quick photos from the lockscreen. otherwise, i take them in camera+.

i tried gmail for a week and didn't like it though. i'm surprised people are using it instead, tbh. i don't like how it doesn't group multiple accounts into one inbox and it feels much slower than apple mail. my daily grind of marking my millions of emails as read takes longer in gmail.

I don't know why Google doesn't see the value in a unified inbox feature :/

There's no unified inbox on Android either, and Gmail & Mail are separate apps

kr2t0s

Also, is Penultimate the best note taker if I have a Jot Pro stylus?

I have a Jot Pro and a little experience trying to take notes with an ipad.

If you have a full size ipad - I don't really recommend penultimate. I mean feel free to check it out but I was never a huge fan of it. The palm rest never clicked with me.

I actually really like Noteshelf. The Palm rest is a visible line that automatically moves down the more you write.

The iPad Mini on the other hand - I feel like there is some behind the scenes stuff to reject unwanted touches that makes penultimate's palm rejection better.

I tried a lot apps and they all have their plusses / minuses and I never found one to rule them all. I know a lot of people like Notability but I found it slow and ugly. I used to really like Upad but i lost some of my notes and never went back to it.

For me - I value speed of the ink more than any other feature. It needs to feel like I'm writing before I care about organization or dropbox or pdf or any of that. For speed - I found Bamboo's Paper app, Noteshelf and Upad to be the fastest.

Is anyone finding that the latest GMAIL app will give you mail notifications (and indicate read emails on the app icon itself), but won't actually display the new emails in the inbox, no matter how much you refresh? I'm having to close the app and reopen for it to wake up and update.

btkadams

Is anyone finding that the latest GMAIL app will give you mail notifications (and indicate read emails on the app icon itself), but won't actually display the new emails in the inbox, no matter how much you refresh? I'm having to close the app and reopen for it to wake up and update.

yup! i had this happen frequently for the week i had it. another reason why i went back to mail. i'm sure it's fixable in an update, but it bugged me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yep. I didn't like it.
I'm not sure if I already posted my impressions, but anyways...

First of all, if you are switching from the stock app, then probably the change will be for the best. I mean, the stock calendar app plain sucks.
However, I've been using Calvetica for the past year and a half, and still like it much better than any other calendar app I have ever tried.

The two main points of Fantastical didn't click with me.
First one would be the natural language input thing. For me, in the iPhone, it's faster to input the information by hand. I always have troubles setting the alarms with Fantastical, and with Calvetica I can plenty of them just with one tap.
Second one would be the DayTicker and the Month view. You can only see events for one single day in the Month view. When I look at my calendar, I like seeing what I have planned for the whole week (at least), not only IF I have planned anything or not.
The DayTicker, on the other hand, gives me too little information on future events, but I can see what I have scheduled for the following days.

Maybe these things can be improved in future releases, but right now, to me, Calvetica is still the better app.
Thanks for the impressions. I'm not using any calendar app currently, but it's looking like I'm going to increasingly need one in the future.

I don't plan on using the app for alarm/alert functionality and the views seem sufficient for me so I was wondering. Checked out Calvetica and I like the ability to put more information down for stuff, but other than that the Fantastical UI, which is what allures me most to it, is more appealing to me.

Gonna give Fantastical a shot and see how it works out.

Woah, when I read this I was wondering why people wanted to review me. :p
hahaha

I don't know what Photo Table is but it's normally around $10 and FREE today.
Looking at the app, I'm curious as to why it was $10 in the first place.

late to the party, but letterpress is such an incredibly addictive game. my brother and i played it for a few hours today. what a simple but ingenious concept.

XOMTOR

Really liking Any.do as a reminder app. Bonus is that it's free and looks amazing.

It really is a slick and very pleasing app to use. Plus the ability to speak/dictate your list is a godsend, no more henpecking out my laundry list of things to get done.

Top Bottom