• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
hyp said:
are you using notified pro? if so, disable your mail notifications for now, they're still working on a bug fix.
They've been working on a mail bug 'fix' since the day the tweak was released, all of 6 months ago.

hyp

Charred Greyface said:
They've been working on a mail bug 'fix' since the day the tweak was released, all of 6 months ago.

where's the :lol when i need it.

seriously, they're slow as molasses in getting updates.

Charred Greyface said:
The AppleTV 2 has 8GB of internal storage. It also has a mini USB port that Apple says is just for 'getting updates' but I'm guessing that it might be possible to mount external harddrives through that port.

For some reason I thought XBMC would handle full dvd rips (i.e Video_TS and Audio_TS folders). I tried one and it wasn't recognized as a dvd. An mkv with substitles caused XBMC to crash. It's nice to have it on my iPad but I'll keep my money and wait for the Boxee price drop.

Edit: Actually XBMC will play the individual .vob files hidden in the dvdmedia folder. No subtitles with that though.

As mentioned, you can just rip a DVD as an ISO and it'll play perfectly like it was a DVD. Is there any reason you're ripping actual files rather than creating a disc image?

Blackhead

Redarse
Marty Chinn said:
As mentioned, you can just rip a DVD as an ISO and it'll play perfectly like it was a DVD. Is there any reason you're ripping actual files rather than creating a disc image?
MacTheRipper ripped my dvds to a folder container the Video_ts and Audio_ts folders. I switched to RipIt which the rips dvds as an dvdmedia—which is really the same folder as what MacTheRipper gave me but with the .dvdmedia file extension attached.

Charred Greyface said:
MacTheRipper ripped my dvds to a folder container the Video_ts and Audio_ts folders. I switched to RipIt which the rips dvds as an dvdmedia—which is really the same folder as what MacTheRipper gave me but with the .dvdmedia file extension attached.

Check to see if there is a setting to rip as a disc image. It'll be better this way because instead of having a folder for each movie, you'll have a single file. I'm not sure what a good Mac program is to do it, but typically any type of burning software will allow you to create a disc image. The problem might be the copy protection. I tend to use DVD Decrypter which will bypass the copyprotection and rip to a disc image in one step but that's a Windows app. Disc images are better because they preserve everything in like a snapshot which is especially useful if you ever need to burn anything rather than just trying to recreate something from files.

Blackhead

Redarse
Marty Chinn said:
Check to see if there is a setting to rip as a disc image. It'll be better this way because instead of having a folder for each movie, you'll have a single file. I'm not sure what a good Mac program is to do it, but typically any type of burning software will allow you to create a disc image. The problem might be the copy protection. I tend to use DVD Decrypter which will bypass the copyprotection and rip to a disc image in one step but that's a Windows app. Disc images are better because they preserve everything in like a snapshot which is especially useful if you ever need to burn anything rather than just trying to recreate something from files.
Toast is able to burn a video_ts folder to a dvd last time i checked. The advantage of a .dvdmedia file extension is the included dvd player app in Mac OSX immediately recognizes it as a dvd, although I prefer to use VLC for playback, and it integrates well into the system (Spotlight results and all that). I'll look into using .iso going forward but I already have a lot of dvds ripped.

p.s. i tried playing the vob with the title menu but XBMC wasn't recognizing my touches to pick a menu option. Might have to use a mouse :lol

Dazzla

Stumpokapow said:
welp, just bought an ATV2.

Same, £65 new from eBay. Has 4.2.1 installed which I believe can be jailbroken a few ways (I have a PC and a Mac).

The timing is perfect as well. I've just bought a D Link Sharecenter Pulse to throw media to the different rooms and displays in my house.

2Tb drive in the NAS, built in UPnP and iTunes server serving media. Apple TV2 running XBMC in the bedroom, PS3/360 in the living room and music being served to the laptops.

I'm not sure about a few things. Operating XBMC with the Apple remote and whether you can just sleep the device without having to tether it to boot.

Just to keep it close to on topic! Couple of screens from the setup I've been using for a long time:

2le59qc.jpg

Another full sized image.

Bought Lockinfo and have never looked back. Couldn't live without it. The calendar is collapsed by default, everything else open by default.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dazzla said:
Same, £65 new from eBay. Has 4.2.1 installed which I believe can be jailbroken a few ways (I have a PC and a Mac).

The timing is perfect as well. I've just bought a D Link Sharecenter Pulse to throw media to the different rooms and displays in my house.

2Tb drive in the NAS, built in UPnP and iTunes server serving media. Apple TV2 running XBMC in the bedroom, PS3/360 in the living room and music being served to the laptops.

I'm not sure about a few things. Operating XBMC with the Apple remote and whether you can just sleep the device without having to tether it to boot.

I've got a file server with 8TB in it, and it streams to an ATV1 on my main TV (XBMC + Apple remote works fine), a Macbook running XBMC in my bedroom output over HDMI, and a eeepc running XBMC in the guest room with a PS3 bluetooth remote.

This'll be great because I'll be able to retire the eeepc, move the Macbook to the guest room, and use Apple remotes for everything! Yay!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I've got the following:

Airport Extreme (current gen) with connected 1TB LaCie drive
Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server (current gen w/o optical drive), that serves as my:
- Torrent box
- Usenet Downloader
- Media Server (via PLEX, PS3 Media Server, and XBMC)
- iTunes homeshare
- iPhoto homeshare

I can remote into it from any machine on my network (as well as at work so I can manage downloads when I'm not at home.. yay SABNZBD and Transmission :D ), all shared storage so any machine can access itunes/iphoto/downloads/etc.

We've got a Macbook that we use for couch surfing and as a time waster, and both me and my fiancee have iPhones that connect to it all, so it's a lot of apple.

I have an appleTV 2G jailbroken with PLEX installed; installed XBMC last night and will test both to see which performs/streams to my liking; also it serves as a secondary netflix box (it's in my bedroom).

In my living room, I have PS3 and 360 that interface with PS3 Media server to play content from the mac mini, as well as gaming of course.

Airport Express connected to my printer in my office for wireless printing w/o the need for any machine to be turned on...

It's great; everything talks to eachother and my house is almost entirely wireless except for the mac mini, my main powerhouse Hackintosh (in my home office) and the ps3/360.

Gonna be getting the iPad 2 in Feb/March/April whenever it's out..
I'm also on a 50/2 connection; THE POOWWAAHHHH!!

Blackhead

Redarse
DrEvil said:
I've got the following:

Airport Extreme (current gen) with connected 1TB LaCie drive
Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server (current gen w/o optical drive), that serves as my:
- Torrent box
- Usenet Downloader
- Media Server (via PLEX, PS3 Media Server, and XBMC)
- iTunes homeshare
- iPhoto homeshare

I can remote into it from any machine on my network (as well as at work so I can manage downloads when I'm not at home.. yay SABNZBD and Transmission :D ), all shared storage so any machine can access itunes/iphoto/downloads/etc.

We've got a Macbook that we use for couch surfing and as a time waster, and both me and my fiancee have iPhones that connect to it all, so it's a lot of apple.

I have an appleTV 2G jailbroken with PLEX installed; installed XBMC last night and will test both to see which performs/streams to my liking; also it serves as a secondary netflix box (it's in my bedroom).

In my living room, I have PS3 and 360 that interface with PS3 Media server to play content from the mac mini, as well as gaming of course.

Airport Express connected to my printer in my office for wireless printing w/o the need for any machine to be turned on...

It's great; everything talks to eachother and my house is almost entirely wireless except for the mac mini, my main powerhouse Hackintosh (in my home office) and the ps3/360.

I'm also on a 50/2 connection; THE POOWWAAHHHH!!
rvkfom.gif

I'm debating picking up a hackintosh, mac mini, or mac mini server if/when I get an Atrix. Any thoughts?

(sorry for the off topic discussion in the iOS thread)

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Charred Greyface said:
rvkfom.gif

I'm debating picking up a hackintosh, mac mini, or mac mini server if/when I get an Atrix. Any thoughts?

(sorry for the off topic discussion in the iOS thread)

Depends what you want to do with it.

My "hackintosh" is actually a PC I built for myself (it's a powerhouse), and the motherboard just happend to be compatible with the Intel kexts for "hackintosh" installs.. I didn't have to buy it, and the build of my machine cost about $1200 or so when I first put it together... I have it dual booted with Windows 7, and I haven't used the Windows side in about 6 months (except for certain programs here and there that aren't on OSX).

The Mac Mini server was a better option for me because it had 1TB storage, I didn't need an optical drive, and it had a few more networking/workgrouping tools than the regular version of Snow Leopard has... Snow Leopard server has some really cool features that I didn't even know existed on a mac.

If you can swing it, look at the refurbished section on apple.com / .ca, they generally have mac minis in there every day or every other day if it's sold out, you also save about $200 of the new price.. The refurbs are so well done that you'd swear they were sending new product in generic packaging... Apple is amazing when it comes to that sort of thing.

If you want something that's going to be on 24/7, go with the Mac mini; it runs at 11 watts or less in most instances, so you're talking less than a lightbulb... it's also mostly silent, too.

Dazzla

Stumpokapow said:
I've got a file server with 8TB in it, and it streams to an ATV1 on my main TV (XBMC + Apple remote works fine), a Macbook running XBMC in my bedroom output over HDMI, and a eeepc running XBMC in the guest room with a PS3 bluetooth remote.

This'll be great because I'll be able to retire the eeepc, move the Macbook to the guest room, and use Apple remotes for everything! Yay!
You can use the PS3 remote on windows? I currently have an eeepc running xbmc upstairs and have a PS3 remote. Gotta be better then a wireless keyboard / iphone / ipad remote.

It was a single ebay listing as well.

RS4-

Ugh, I don't know if I want to go through installing everything again now that the untether is out lol. I haven't had a reason to restart my phone since I did the tether last week.

Dazzla

I'm still on 4.01!

I'll be glad when I can get onto 4.2.1. Surely it's a pain in the ass backing up homebrew stuff (only sbsettings and lockinfo for me) and the settings for the homebrew stuff. I've not upgraded a jailbroken phone before, I've always wiped but I don't really want to do that now.

rc213

SmoothCB said:
A question from an uneducated potential jailbreaker: Will I be able to carrier unlock with chronic dev team 4.2.1 jb?

Unlock depends on the Baseband/Modem Firmware currently on your device.

hyp

HenryGale said:
Games center, air play, better signal code, fixes for bugs,air print

doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. might just wait for 4.3. i just really wanted game center and that came out on 4.0.

SmoothCB

rc213 said:
Unlock depends on the Baseband/Modem Firmware currently on your device.

I had a feeling that that'd be the case. I've got modem firmware 3.10.01 and I assume that it will be incompatible with a carrier lock on the chronic dev team jb.

Dez said:
Personal wifi hotspot is the big new feature. I think that's worth having. I've never been comfortable with MyWi's bullshit pricing tactics.

What bullshit pricing tactics? $20 once versus $20 monthly that you'll have to pay AT&T?

Kirby102

caliblue15 said:
After playing around for months, I think this is my setup for awhile. Simple clean, and looks good.

Home Screen

iphone4h.png

now they will release the jailbreak to piss me off.

Just wondering how you got the coloured status icons. Did you do it through Winterboard?

I'm just thinking of doing it without Winterboard, but seems that the images need to be converted to a special .png. :\

ediT: Silly me, you have Winterboard right there. Poo. I guess it opens the question to you all, is it possible to do that without Winterboard? Cheers :)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick question fellow jailbreakers:

A friend just gave me his iPhone 3G and asked me to "fix it up and jailbreak it." He's still on iOS 4.0 so I'm assuming he's complaining about the sluggishness of 4 on the 3G. Did they improve anything on later updates for the 3G?

I don't wanna give him a bad impression of jailbreaking, because he sure as hell would blame it if the phone ends up being slow as hell.

LegoDad

Kirby102 said:
Just wondering how you got the coloured status icons. Did you do it through Winterboard?

I'm just thinking of doing it without Winterboard, but seems that the images need to be converted to a special .png. :\

ediT: Silly me, you have Winterboard right there. Poo. I guess it opens the question to you all, is it possible to do that without Winterboard? Cheers :)

Probably, winterbpard just makes it easier. No need to backup files.

mlaz14

Jinfash said:
Quick question fellow jailbreakers:

A friend just gave me his iPhone 3G and asked me to "fix it up and jailbreak it." He's still on iOS 4.0 so I'm assuming he's complaining about the sluggishness of 4 on the 3G. Did they improve anything on later updates for the 3G?

I don't wanna give him a bad impression of jailbreaking, because he sure as hell would blame it if the phone ends up being slow as hell.

I have my 3G on 4.2.1 and it runs fine so I'd recommend updating it. Mines jailbroken but the only thing I have is SBSettings but there were warnings about 4.2 on just about every jailbreak app so some might cause problems. BiteSMS made mine crash every time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
mlaz14 said:
I have my 3G on 4.2.1 and it runs fine so I'd recommend updating it. Mines jailbroken but the only thing I have is SBSettings but there were warnings about 4.2 on just about every jailbreak app so some might cause problems. BiteSMS made mine crash every time.
BiteSMS is still incompatible with all 4.2.1 devices, they're currently working on ver 5.xx. The betas have been going on for a long time.

I'm glad to hear that it's fine on your 3G, so thanks for that. Did you install any of the "feature" packages that enable non-3G iOS4 features, like backgrounds and multitasking?

zazrx said:
Where are you guys seeing the release? I see they have it almost ready to be released but I don't see it actually out to download.
Hasn't been released yet. Just news that it's coming "real soon."

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
44908.png

Oh shit, I'm at this screen right now and I need someone to confirm whether enabling multitasking on the 3G will seriously slow the phone down or not.

Is it worth enabling: yay/nay?

Quick!

LogicStep

Jinfash said:
http://www.iclarified.com/images/tutorials/12949/44908/44908.png[IMG]

Oh shit, I'm at this screen right now and I [i]need[/i] someone to confirm whether enabling multitasking on the 3G will [i]seriously[/i] slow the phone down or not.

Is it worth enabling: yay/nay?

Quick![/QUOTE]
Don't it will suck.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I wouldn't do it. My girlfriend has her 3G with multitasking and background wallpaper and it's slow as molasses.

Next time I update her phone I'll remove that.

btw: is there a jb/unlock for 4.2.1 on it yet?

mlaz14

Jinfash said:
BiteSMS is still incompatible with all 4.2.1 devices, they're currently working on ver 5.xx. The betas have been going on for a long time.

I'm glad to hear that it's fine on your 3G, so thanks for that. Did you install any of the "feature" packages that enable non-3G iOS4 features, like backgrounds and multitasking?

Hasn't been released yet. Just news that it's coming "real soon."

I enabled multitasking and wallpaper from redsnow on 4.1 and it was awful so I got rid of it. I used Backgrounder on 4.1 and worked well but I haven't tried it on 4.2. I don't care about customization so I never bothered with any themes.

jts said:
Yeah, I wouldn't do it. My girlfriend has her 3G with multitasking and background wallpaper and it's slow as molasses.

btw: is there a jb/unlock for 4.2.1 on it yet?

http://www.blogsdna.com/13981/how-t...-touch-2g-ios-4-2-1-using-redsn0w-0-9-6b4.htm

That's how you jailbreak a 3G on 4.2.1 if you don't need to unlock it. Unlock I'm not sure about.

mlaz14 said:
I enabled multitasking and wallpaper from redsnow on 4.1 and it was awful so I got rid of it. I used Backgrounder on 4.1 and worked well but I haven't tried it on 4.2. I don't care about customization so I never bothered with any themes.

http://www.blogsdna.com/13981/how-t...-touch-2g-ios-4-2-1-using-redsn0w-0-9-6b4.htm

That's how you jailbreak a 3G on 4.2.1 if you don't need to unlock it. Unlock I'm not sure about.

And how do you update a jailbreak 3.02 to the most recent version?

mlaz14

ChackanKun said:
And how do you update a jailbreak 3.02 to the most recent version?

Are you talking about updating the OS then jailbreaking? What I did was restore, update, and then jailbreak. If you need an unlock you need to preserve the baseband but I don't know how to do that.

dream

jts said:

I could swear I saw something in cydia that would let you toggle multitasking and wallpaper on the 3G without having to rejailbreak. I'm almost positive I've used it myself.

Pctx

Banned
Dez said:
Personal wifi hotspot is the big new feature. I think that's worth having. I've never been comfortable with MyWi's bullshit pricing tactics.
What bullshit planet do you speak of?

$20 one time vs. $20 a month? Math must not have been a strong suit.

Ashhong

jts said:
Thanks. She really needs the unlock though.

Maybe I'll just re-jailbreak it on 4.1 one of these days.

For unlocking you need to create the firmware with Pwnagetool IIRC. I will link it later if I remember. It's all on iclarified though.

Top Bottom