• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

dc89

Thanks very much :)

Think I will plump for the iphone, as the jump from crapberry to the Iphone 5 might blow my mind ;-)

Also, The UK contract issue is super concerning. They know they can charge crazy prices and will still sell like hotcakes.

I was thinking around the £130 mark for a 2 year contract.

Pay as you £499.99?

Or am I way off the mark lol

Starts at £529 pay as you go. So that's £529 for 16GB. I'm guessing £679 for 64GB.

Look at the iPhone 4S contracts and add £50 upfront, I reckon. Quite expensive.

Yup. :(

Enco

original.jpg

again. LMAO.
Bargain!

Earbuds look like the most uncomfortable and worst fitting things I have ever seen.

Zeth

You're right. No one really needs that adapter. Instead, just go out and buy the cable itself for $10 cheaper. :|

Or use wifi and Bluetooth like everyone else, for everything but charging (which doesn't require the adaptor). It's a legacy adaptor. Like the wifi dongle, and the new MBP power adaptor. Trolls making something of nothing, news at 11.

TommyT

you'll know you'll be able to find that adapter for a dollar like...everywhere soon.

Oh I don't disagree. The question was about needing the adapter. So for people that have quite a few cables, they either get quite a few adapters or quite a few cables again.

Or use wifi and Bluetooth like everyone else, for everything but charging (which doesn't require the adaptor). It's a legacy adaptor. Like the wifi dongle, and the new MBP power adaptor. Trolls making something of nothing, news at 11.

So you're saying there's no scenario where someone would need an adapter? Seems odd since they made one if that's the case.

edit: But hey, just as there are people complaining about Apple (or really anything) there will always be people to defend it.

So how does the AT&T upgrade plan work?

I'm out of contract anyway, so is the upgrade useless to me?

If I get a new 2 year contract a 16gb phone should cost me $200 no matter what...or do they try to tell you that you need the upgrade for that?

I would go to apple.com and enter the phone info. By the time I ordered my 4S, I was already out of contract on my 3GS, but all I did was pay the $399 for the 64GB 4S without any problems. As far as AT&T is concerned, you're still with them so you still have the upgrade available.

So here's the crazy thing. This phone will double the number of people using LTE in practically no time. The other day an IDC report had around 16 million people on LTE in the 5 biggest markets for it.

Yea, this is what's making my choice to either stay with AT&T or switch to Verizon *VERY* difficult for me in NYC.

On one hand I know att's LTE network is smaller but faster. That may change to be VERY slow when the iPhone 5 launches.

On the other hand having HSPA+ as a fallback when LTE isn't available is MUCH better than Verizon's network.

But then againn Verizon's LTE network is available in NYC and all around the tri-state area. But it's much slower here in the office.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do they sell out quickly on Apple.com? I was planning to order around 530 am CST Friday (330 am PST). I'd like to get it on launch day...

knitoe

So how does the AT&T upgrade plan work?

I'm out of contract anyway, so is the upgrade useless to me?

If I get a new 2 year contract a 16gb phone should cost me $200 no matter what...or do they try to tell you that you need the upgrade for that?

If you have no contract or out of one, you sign up for 2 years + $199 for the iPhone 5. I am going to pay more for the 32/64 GB version.

CrankyJay

Banned
I would go to apple.com and enter the phone info. By the time I ordered my 4S, I was already out of contract on my 3GS, but all I did was pay the $399 for the 64GB 4S without any problems. As far as AT&T is concerned, you're still with them so you still have the upgrade available.

Is the upgrade to avoid entering a new 2 year contract?

I thought the point of getting the phone for $200 is that you're entering a new 2 year contract with them, what good is an upgrade to me if I'm out of contract?

It looks nice, but I'm getting tired of phone designs in general. A rectangle just isn't that exciting anymore. I have no idea what could change, but I hope something does.

TheContact

so more ram, lil faster processor and half inch bigger screen? that's what's the biggest thing since the iphone5? i'm disappointed

How much apps do windows phones even have? Aren't they basically dead in market share?

Enough apps, for most people, but still missing a number of "official" apps for companies and a few key ones (Instagram being a big one).

Marketshare is nowhere near where MS wants it to be, but they're not dead. Squeaking by.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably going to be my first iPhone. I just checked data plans for the 4S, and I can swing it. Will prices likely go up for the iPhone 5 for any reason?

Tobor

Anybody find a new dock on Apple's site? I've been using the dock for the original iPhone for years now, but I'll obviously need an upgrade.

I thought the point of getting the phone for $200 is that you're entering a new 2 year contract with them, what good is an upgrade to me if I'm out of contract?

They basically 'roll over' your contract. I didn't have to pay anything upfront other than cost of the phone. And when I checked my AT&T bill, there were no changes to it, just treated it as if I was already on contract.

so more ram and bigger screen? that's what's the biggest thing since the iphone5? i'm disappointed
if not joke post:

new phone design
LTE
better cameras
better cpu
better gpu
more ram
better battery
bigger screen
better screen quality
better voice quality

Gaaraz

"The best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone" - is that actually the official slogan they're using?

Completely and utterly underwhelmed by this phone. I'm desperate to upgrade because the screen size on my iPhone 4 is starting to really grate, and it feels very unresponsive compared to newer phones too.

Pretty much every single part of me wants an S3 now, but I just know I'll regret buying a phone that doesn't have the Apple app store.

CrankyJay

Banned
They basically 'roll over' your contract. I didn't have to pay anything upfront other than cost of the phone. And when I checked my AT&T bill, there were no changes to it, just treated it as if I was already on contract.

Okay, so basically you don't have to pay for your line being activated etc?

Because they still want to charge you $36 to upgrade...lol.

Yl4AS.png

p.s. I know this is for the 4S...just think it's stupid they give you some upgrade making it sound like they're doing you or a favor or whatever but it's the same as starting a new contract anyway.

knitoe

Other than paying full price($500?) for the phone, no.

Okay, so basically you don't have to pay for your line being activated etc?

Because they still want to charge you $36 to upgrade...lol.

Yl4AS.png

p.s. I know this is for the 4S...just think it's stupid they give you some upgrade making it sound like they're doing you or a favor or whatever but it's the same as starting a new contract anyway.

Yes, they will charge you an activation fee again. If you bitch, maybe they won't charge you.

Zeth

Pretty much every single part of me wants an S3 now, but I just know I'll regret buying a phone that doesn't have the Apple app store.

Everyone does. I've done it a few times and I'll never do it with a phone again. Nexus tablets for my android fill from now on.

....yyyeah. So the good thing is the screen is actually flush with the frame. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my 4s, don't need a longer one. See you in another year, apple.

Ravidrath

What's Sprint's policy on new iPhones and reupping your contract?

I switched to them last year with the 4S - I'm probably SOL, right?

Nah, it's not a big deal at all. Functionally I'm sure it's an improvement. I'm talking purely from a visual design point of view. It's sort of like the difference between the '62 250GTO and the '64 250 GTO, both beautiful but one's just a little bit nicer.

That's a good analogy. And speaking of the 62 250GTO, I saw one in London a few days ago. Had to pick my jaw up off of the pavement.

reKon

Banned
"The best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone" - is that actually the official slogan they're using?

Completely and utterly underwhelmed by this phone. I'm desperate to upgrade because the screen size on my iPhone 4 is starting to really grate, and it feels very unresponsive compared to newer phones too.

The 5 will be a huge upgrade and will run great and you'll appreciate the expanded screen size. Android has plenty of great apps for phones. It will depends on which if you're looking for very specific apps/games that on the Apple Store for it to make much of a difference.

For me it doesn't matter because all the Google Apps are 13492092 times better (that's probably changing soon though) and the apps that I actually care about run well (flipboard, facebook messenger, plume, etc). Games wise yes iOS apparently destroys Android, but I've been able to still find great games (have over 40 installed some even exclusive I think).

Red

Really interested in the new earbud quality.

The phone looks great, but the homescreen layout for iOS is still a little frustrating for me. That's the one big advantage I think Android has over it. I can have widgets that show me important information right there, right away.

Still, I am ready to go Apple for my next phone. Too many minor frustrations with my droid.

Top Bottom