• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone wifi network help

pr0cs

Welp, I have to ask for help.. which is pretty annoying because this shouldn't be as bloody painful as it is.

I want to manually assign an static IP to my kids iPhone for my internal security system in our home. I've assigned the IP address to the phone, I can ping the iphone from my PC no problem, the router shows that it's a self-assigned IP on the iphone, BUT, the iphone has no wifi icon and has no internet connection.

I'm at a loss, no amount of google-fu seems to expose what's going on.

So.. it has an IP, is seen by other computers on the network but because it's set as a static IP it's like the phone refuses to acknowledge that it's actually on the network, even though it is.

pimentel1

Banned
nah, I have manually assigned IPs to all my other devices just fine... android phones and tablets, IP cameras, motion sensors.. just the iphones simply won't allow themselves access to the internet from some unknown reason.

u try turning airplane mode on and off? sometimes wifi can be buggy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you tried multiple IP addresses? Did you scan your range to see if anything else is taking the IP you're trying to assign it? If you can ping it and it has a connection then that IP is already taken. Did you pick an IP that's within your range/scope?

I have a Nighthawk and I have to assign the device by its MAC address or IP. It already picked up my consoles, so I could just assign those if I wanted to. I don't have a server setup at home.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Have you tried multiple IP addresses? Did you scan your range to see if anything else is taking the IP you're trying to assign it? If you can ping it and it has a connection then that IP is already taken. Did you pick an IP that's within your range/scope?

I have a Nighthawk and I have to assign the device by its MAC address or IP. It already picked up my consoles, so I could just assign those if I wanted to. I don't have a server setup at home.
The ips I assigned the iPhone aren't taken and aren't being used by anything else. When I logon to the router it shows that the iPhone has the ip just like how the phone says it's using it. The iPhone simply refuses to go anywhere outside of my subnet when assigned a static ip. ONLY the iPhone has this problem.. My xbone, android devices all work flawlessly with manually assigned ips.

Why not just have the router assign a manual IP based on the iphones MAC address?
There is no way to assign ips in the router software. The assumption is that if you want a static ip you set it on the device which I did except the iPhone is effectively useless with a static ip

Pagusas

Elden Member
The ips I assigned the iPhone aren't taken and aren't being used by anything else. When I logon to the router it shows that the iPhone has the ip just like how the phone says it's using it. The iPhone simply refuses to go anywhere outside of my subnet when assigned a static ip. ONLY the iPhone has this problem.. My xbone, android devices all work flawlessly with manually assigned ips.

There is no way to assign ips in the router software. The assumption is that if you want a static ip you set it on the device which I did except the iPhone is effectively useless with a static ip

Weird, I’ve never seen a router that didn’t allow you to manually set a dchp assigned address. What’s the routers model number?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was thinking, since it can recognize your phone, but you can't get anywhere on the iPhone. Can you set the DNS to both the router and the phone to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4? Maybe it's got a cache for DNS it can't find.

pr0cs

I was thinking, since it can recognize your phone, but you can't get anywhere on the iPhone. Can you set the DNS to both the router and the phone to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4? Maybe it's got a cache for DNS it can't find.
I didn't try that but if I enter the router for the DNS it should resolve that way, all the other devices do.
Seems like an apple specific problem.
Thankfully the HostName work around seems okay but I never had a network issue I couldn't resolve so pretty surprising Apple is so strict around IPs

Top Bottom