• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ippo vs. Rocky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
Rocky Balboa :

B000059H99.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Birthplace - Philadelphia, PA
Weight - 190 pounds
Height - 5'11"
Reach - 74"

Notable traits: Strong punches, the best trainer in the city, a rock-hard chin, and a heart that impresses everyone.

Disadvantages: No real technique.

Magunochi Ippo

B00023BN6U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Birthplace - Japan
Weight - 124 pounds
Height - 5'5"
Reach - 66"

Notable traits: Strong punches, the best trainer in the city, an equally impressive heart, and lots of speed.

Disadvantages: Low on technique.

FIGHT

Note: the stats for Rocky are from Rocky I, and the stats for Ippo are all made up other than the weight, as I wasn't sure of it.

Mugen

Banned
not fair... Ippo is in a smaller boxing class as Rocky. Though Takamura vs Rocky would be fair since they're both heavy weights.

But then again, Takamura beat a bear and Rocky beat steriod Drago. So yes, Takamura wins.

Matlock

Banned
Mugen said:
But then again, Takamura beat a bear and Rocky beat steriod Drago. So yes, Takamura wins.

Rocky also beat Mr. T, who's helluva tough! He would have thrown that bear helluva far!

Ippo would murder rocky. Rocky would get knocked the fuck out if Ippo decided to use his Dempsey roll. Also the Fighting spirit factor alone is too much for rocky to overcome.

Lets not even get Started on Takamura vs Rocky...............it wouldnt even be a contest.

Sai

Takamura owns them both.

takamuragrin.JPG

takamuracheese.JPG

takamurauppa.JPG

Kabuki Waq said:
Lets not even get Started on Takamura vs Rocky...............it wouldnt even be a contest.
Good man, Kabuki... Good man.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Takamura nor Ippo have an eye like a tiger. Rocky would stand there and take any punch they throw at him, and he'd just taunt them

Drexon

Banned
Q: Where did Transformers start? o_O I'm watching this super old JAPANESE Transformers series now, Transformers Masterforce. I'm about to freak out, there IS no japanese Transformers!! Ò_Ó

Sai

Neither is Ippo. He's off by like... 3(4?) weight classes. :p

Weight classes dun matter! STRENGTH! HEART! BEAST! ROAR!

lordmrw

DopeyFish said:
Yeah but Mr. T also gave Rocky a beating of a lifetime

Seriously, I think Sylvester Stallone became permanently fucked up because of the Rocky movies. I mean fuck, you see the slow mo from those punches Mr. T was throwing? And I found it funny when VH1 I love the 80s pointed out the differences when Rocky and Mr. T were training.

Sai said:
Neither is Ippo. He's off by like... 3(4?) weight classes. :p

Weight classes dun matter! STRENGTH! HEART! BEAST! ROAR!

'Cept he's giving up like 80 pounds.

Rocky would walk through his dempsy roll, then taunt Clubber Lang style

"You ain't so bad, you ain't so bad, you ain't nothin'. C'mon, champ, hit me in the face! My mom hits harder than you! "

Edit* Oh, and it's like 10 weight classes :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Tre said:
Ippo would demolish Rocky. Takamura would kill him.

word.

ippo low on technique MY ASS. he may not be a technical boxer but hes alot better than rocky's "sit there and just get punched in the face for 8 rounds" style.

It is about 10 classes. Ippo's a Featherweight.

Strawweight up to 105 lbs
Mini Flyweight - up to 105 lbs
Junior Flyweight 105 to 108 lbs
Flyweight 108 to 112 lbs
Super Flyweight / Junior Bantam Weight 112 to 115 lbs
Bantamweight 115 to 118 lbs
Super Bantamweight / Junior Featherweight 118 to 122 lbs
Featherweight 122 to 126 lbs
Super Featherweight / Junior Lightweight 126 to 130 lbs
Lightweight 130 to 135 lbs
Super Lightweight / Junior Welterweight 135 to 140 lbs
Welterweight 140 to 147 lbs
Super Welterweight 147 to 154 lbs -
Junior Middleweight - 147 to 154 lbs
Middleweight 154 to 160 lbs 154 to 160 lbs
Super Middleweight 160 to 168
Light Heavyweight 168 to 175 lbs
Cruiserweight 175 to 200 lbs
Heavyweight over 200 lbs

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
here's the perfect analogy =D

Rocky vs Ippo or Takamura is the equivelant of Ivan Drago (Rocky) vs Apollo Cree (those twirps)

Why are we even arguing? Rocky is ultimate. If such licenses were available, Takamura and Ippo wouldn't even pass qualifiers to be in the next Punch-Out! game :p Rocky vs Glass Joe = mor even fight for the challenger!

DaveH

Well Ippo has actual technique... as far as I can tell, Rocky blocks punches with his chin and heart. I'd say Ippo masters out-boxing after a few sparring sessions or a trip to camp and wins by points.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
you guys are dellusional if you think ippo could take rocky with his weight, height and reach disadvantage. rocky by decision after 12.

If Rocky Balboa can block with his face through an entire fight against the likes of Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, and Ivan Drago, then I think he can easily go the distance and emerge victorious against someone who's not even close to being in his weight class.

BTW, all 5 Rocky movies were playing on AMC this weekend. :D

DaveH

Right, but that's fighting people who block with their faces as well (Creed was the only one who showed even a little foot work). If he's fighting someone who's actually capable of dodging/blocking, the heavy weights tend to gas (you lose a lot of energy missing or hitting blocks) and just get slower and slower. Lighter weight classes have much more speed and stamina if they're going for points.

Rocky would remain a constant KO threat throughout the match, but Ippo lives in bullet time... he has entire conversations over the course of a single punch. As long as his emphasis was points and not a KO, Rocky gets frustrated easily and loses by decision.

Pjero

FnordChan said:
Well, if we're talking manga:

ashitanojoe.jpg

I love Ippo, but it's all about Ashita no Joe.

FnordChan

I completly agree with you! The only thing I didn't like was the end... :(

rastex

Banned
I think people are underestimating just how big of a difference weight class makes. I fight my friends who have a similar weight difference (me=200, them=140) and it's not even a contest. Even though they're faster, far more agile and have far more stamina, it's just a ridiculous blowout. 135 pounds is NOTHING.

Sure Ippo has an incredibly strong punch, but that's in comparison with other lightweights, it'd just be a somewhat decent punch when it comes to the heavyweights.

DaveH

rastex said:
I think people are underestimating just how big of a difference weight class makes. I fight my friends who have a similar weight difference (me=200, them=140) and it's not even a contest. Even though they're faster, far more agile and have far more stamina, it's just a ridiculous blowout. 135 pounds is NOTHING.

Sure Ippo has an incredibly strong punch, but that's in comparison with other lightweights, it'd just be a somewhat decent punch when it comes to the heavyweights.

Obviously it matters, which is why there are weight classes to begin with, but if you know your boxing then you should know just by watching Rocky, how badly he'd lose on points. Meanwhile Ippo lives in a realm where everyone's technique is perfect. You just about dodge every punch cleanly and the clinch is rarely used. For Rocky to KO Ippo, he'd have to catch him first, then he'd have to hit him. From the movies, his technique is slow and sloppy... I'm not sure either is possible.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
DaveH said:
Ippo lives in bullet time... he has entire conversations over the course of a single punch.

this quote rules, it needs to live on in gaf history.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DAMN, I just remembered. I reeeeeally need to watch Ippo again. I just wish I could un-watch every single episode. :/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Takamura vs Rocky would be a far more interesting fight, provided it would be in the world circuit. Takamura won't take anything else seriously.

Meier

One thing you have to take into account is the weights in Ippo are in no way realistic. Ippo would be something like 175-180 minimum and Mashiba would be about 235, yet they're both under 130 pounds? Jason Ozuma under 250? Yeah right!

Ippo would school Rocky just like he schooled Naniwa's Rocky.

tenchir

Meier said:
One thing you have to take into account is the weights in Ippo are in no way realistic. Ippo would be something like 175-180 minimum and Mashiba would be about 235, yet they're both under 130 pounds? Jason Ozuma under 250? Yeah right!

Ippo would school Rocky just like he schooled Naniwa's Rocky.

I think it is realistic. He is a relatively short japanese, so being a bit above 125 lbs is realistic. You also have to keep in mind that Ippo also isn't normally at that weight, most boxer have to control their weight right before the weighting.

Meier

Uhh, have you ever seen a featherweight boxer? They're toned but their muscles arent the size of small heads and their back isnt like a werewolves or something. Even if you wanted to make a case for Ippo's weight being possibly under 130 (which it isnt), there's physically no way his contemporaries Ozuma and Mashiba (not to mention, Date) could be anywhere near that weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom