• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Chicago a nice town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy

Banned
I am going to be a senior in highschool next year, and I'm trying to think of universities to attend. I live in Arizona now, and want to get out. Someone suggested Loyola University of Chicago. The only problem is, I have no idea what Chicago is like. I might take a visit there during winter break, or something.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Its very nice, its a big city with lots to do and places to go. Museums, drinking, dinning, wrigley field *or cominsky*, lots of shopping etc etc , its place of extremes though, either REALLY cold, or FRIGGIN HOT AS HELL...well i guess youd be used to that since you already live there, haha jk. BuT AZ is pretty damn close when it comes to that weather.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's a cool city. It's clean compared to a place like NYC, it's very nice looking (lots of cool architecture), and there's lots to do.

Slick_Advanced said:
If you are in to what they call "seasons" then yes.

No doubt. And they don't call it the Windy City for nothing. I've nearly frozen to death from the icy winds while walking to the bus stop in the winter. Yeesh.

But it's a great city. You should visit, and see how you like it.

Drey1082

I live and work in chicago and I do love it here. The only thing that stinks is the weather sometimes. The winters are rough, and in the summer, the temperature changes are drastic.

All I have to say is it gets to 117 in the summer here and it doesn't even get close in Chi BUT, they are still carting off doezens of old people in boxes due to heat related deaths (well they did a few years back).

I mean it's a cool city don't get me wrong but, they have extreme winters and extreme summers.

Chicago is an awesome city, especially for college. Loyola is a good school, I've had a lot of friends go there and they all seemed to like it. All I can tell you is to take advantge of the fact you're in the city. There are a ton of things to do here, you just have to be willing to go find them. And people are right, the weather can be weird and brutal. We have barely had a summer yet.

I've only flown into the airport there and then out again, but I love Chicago just becuase it's home to a ton of my favorite bands. Very good music scene.

SyNapSe

IMO, Chicago totally rocks! It's one of the places I like to take a short trip (say 2-3 days) just about every year with friends too. Really fun, just a ton of stuff to do.

Chicago is an amazing town... full of history, heritage, and amazing museums, architecture, people, etc etc.

lots of sports, great music scene, tons to do..

chicago and new york are very similar, but new york is obviously bigger, but Chicago's downtown is much prettier, nicer and just better for tourists than new york's is.

the weather is crazy, but its often beautiful... i've spent many wonderfully perfect nights out on Navy Pier...

it isnt called the windy city because of the wind, but you wouldnt know that.. it is extremely windy sometimes.. the best bet is to make sure you have a jacket in your car or with you; so if it gets chilly you can put it on..

i hear good things about loyola, but didnt go to college in chicago myself.. seems like it would be alot of fun.

Brian Fellows said:
Its a shit hole. But most major cities are.

why do you think chicago is a shithole?

and theres a difference between a major city like chicago and new york.. and a major city like indianapolis or st. louis..

chicago and new york are different beasts altogether.

mrmyth

Firest0rm said:
Chicago means Smelly Onions. <--- Its true.

And you can get a taste of this every summer in our forest preserves. On a hot muggy August day it smells like somebody opened a hotdog stand in the middle of the woods.

nitewulf

and what's up w/ all the mexican/spanish food joints?? chicago-ites love their tacos and burritos.
some pictures from my trip:

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Chicago is an amazing town... full of history, heritage, and amazing museums, architecture, people, etc etc.
Oh, wow! Where else can we get history, heritage, architecture, or people?? *books plane ticket to Chicago*

crumbs

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years after college. It can be expensive like most big cities, but grocery costs aren't too bad. Public transportation is nice, because owning a car is super expensive (parking, taxes, gas, etc). Plently of restaurants, bars, clubs of all price ranges. You can go the beach easily during the summer. Sales tax is kinda high, over 8% if iirc. The winters can be cold, but not that bad, just get a decent jacket. I enjoyed my time there, I'm sure going to school there would be fun. I'd say Chicago is one of the most "livable" big cities.

Edit: Yeah, no guns. You can bring knives, spears, proximity mines, etc for you own personal protection.

mrmyth

crumbs said:
I lived in Chicago for a couple of years after college. It can be expensive like most big cities, but grocery costs aren't too bad. Public transportation is nice, because owning a car is super expensive (parking, taxes, gas, etc). Plently of restaurants, bars, clubs of all price ranges. You can go the beach easily during the summer. Sales tax is kinda high, over 8% if iirc. The winters can be cold, but not that bad, just get a decent jacket. I enjoyed my time there, I'm sure going to school there would be fun. I'd say Chicago is one of the most "livable" big cities.

Edit: Yeah, no guns. You can bring knives, spears, proximity mines, etc for you own personal protection.

The tourists are causing those big ass potholes!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
IIRC, chicago is not called the windy city because of the strong winds, but because in the early 20th centurty they were known for politicians full of hot air.

In any case, Chicago is a very nice town.. though to be completely fair, I have stayed outside of the loop exactly one time, and then I was on Deerborne :p

One thing I noticed is Chicago has a major inferiority complex, which leads to an overdose of civic pride.. while this is annoying at times, it is good in other ways, because finding someone willing to help you find where you want to go is easy.

Id check it out at least twice- once in the summer or good weather season, when everything is going on, and once in the winter so you get a taste of what its going to be like living here.

Its a good town though and I enjoy living here, but its true the tax is really high- 9.5% in my area.

GigaDrive

Banned
Chicago is an awesome city, I was born there. downtown Chicago / the loop is just incredible. the food and the skyline. be sure to cruise down lakeshore drive.

StoOgE said:
IIRC, chicago is not called the windy city because of the strong winds, but because in the early 20th centurty they were known for politicians full of hot air.

In any case, Chicago is a very nice town.. though to be completely fair, I have stayed outside of the loop exactly one time, and then I was on Deerborne :p

One thing I noticed is Chicago has a major inferiority complex, which leads to an overdose of civic pride.. while this is annoying at times, it is good in other ways, because finding someone willing to help you find where you want to go is easy.

not exactly sure what you are talking about.. i think it all depends on the area.. there are nicer areas with alot of nice people, and then there are other areas where you wont get shit from people.. just like any big city..

the chicago bums are some of the worst in the country... the LA bums were luxurious in comparison.. the chicago ones are almost scary in their tactics and meanness sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom