• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is competition going to force an early launch of new hardware?

I just read GameSpot's Q&A with Microsoft's Peter Moore. He says Xbox Next won't be beaten to the market by their competitors.

Nintendo has repeated the same statement numerous times.

I was thinking, and what happens if Sony announces a date for the PS3 and then Microsoft announces a date for Xbox Next earlier than Sony, and then Nintendo announces a date for Revolution earlier than Xbox Next.

Now, I don't think Sony cares, but will this cause Microsoft to move up the release of Xbox Next to earlier than the Revolution, and will that in turn cause Nintendo do do the same again. Wouldn't this just repeat and the consoles would end up launching as soon as a single title would be avaliable for purchase at launch?

This could also speed up time frames for launch games in development, and thus effect their quality.

I really hope all this "first to the market" nonsense isn't going to cause Xbox Next and Revolution to be launch before they really should be.

What do the rest of you think?

Edit: Dammit, I'm in The OT. Can a mod please move this to Gaming? Thanks.

SyNapSe

well, I'm not sure what their is to say. At this point, it's pretty clear MS plans to launch next Xmas if at all possible. Sony is saying blah blah blah, we own.. we'll launch on our time.

Not really.

Nintendo don't seem to be trying to get in first, just not come in a year late again, and I think all smart money is on 2006 for the Revolution. As much as MS are trying to get in their early, neither Sony nor Nintendo seem to be wanting to budge all that much on a 2006 release.

And I supposed whether that's early depends on your perspective. Taken by the PS2 timeline it's probably a little later than expected (about 6 years). By the GC it's about in keeping with a 5 year generation. It's only if you take the Xbox to the speculated late 2005 Xenon launch that you get an early launch.

Spike

Xbox will launch November 2005, with a March 2006 launch in Japan. I believe that when Microsoft makes its intentions clear, you will see Sony and Nintendo following suit. Nintendo moreso than Sony, simply because they cannot afford to be beaten to market by Microsoft, what with the fierce competition that occurred this gen.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I think competition could delay new hardware, actually.

Obviously, we'll know how prepared Nintendo and Sony are to meet Microsoft's challenge when they show their own hardware next E3.

But I still see a slight delay for Xenon, especially with Xbox performing so well. The upcoming $99 price point for Xbox will keep numbers solid through Christmas 2005. Also realize, PS2 will gain significant sales at the same price point (and probably with a sleek new redesign), and could eclipse early adopter interest for a 2005 Xenon.

I'm thinking best case scenario: May 2006 for Xenon with a decent set of launch titles followed by a healthy Christmas 2006 lineup that could steal the thunder from PS3 and Revolution launch games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I find it hard to believe that Microsoft will have any bearing on when Sony and Nintendo launch their hardware.

Top Bottom