• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamespot Rockstar's PR mouthpiece?? (3rd straight weekend of frontpage GTA news)

I'm starting to really doubt these guys are going to review GTA:SA objectively. It's obvious they've struck a deal with Rockstar to exclusively release and promote new screens EVERY WEEKEND until release. They even update the frontpage banners throughout the weekend with a different image montage, something I've never seen Gamespot do.

Deepthroat said:
They'd do the same thing with Halo 2 if Bungie released new screens every week.

What a joke. With all the news and pics released for Halo 2 the only frontpage banner the game got was "HYPE HOAX", the negative spin on the Halo 2 internet game.

ferricide

NOTE

GAMESPOT MAKES MONEY WHEN IT DISPLAYS ADS

NOTE

ADS ARE DISPLAYED MORE FREQUENTLY BY COVERAGE OF POPULAR GAMES

NOTE

GTA: SA IS POPULAR

miyuru

Go make your own website and report on it. It's the equivalent of wiping baby Jesus' tears, since he cries over the lack of coverage on GS.

ferricide

Daxter Too said:
MR CAPS WHY DOES GAMESPOT NEVER REPORT ON THE BUNGIE WEEKLY UPDATE. IS NOT HALO 2 POPULAR AND IN TURN PROFIT WORTHY?
it's a conspiracy. they hate halo 2 and want microsoft to fail.

PS: you are stupid.

IJoel

I don't think that's the case.

Fable got a front preview. The main difference is that the GTA: SA preview is a well written one (Kasavin) while the Fable one was a waste of my time and only touched lightly on the game (I swear R. Torres has a damn template to fill the blanks for his previews.)

Deg

Banned
They cant put every game on the front and give exclusive coverage. They have to think about their bottom line and be realistic.

Since when did Gamespot update ANYTHING on their frontpage on the weekends? This I know: We will get a new frontpage image on saturday and one on sunday. And the same loop will repeat every weekend until the game releases.

I'm calling shenanegins whether you like it or not.

WarPig

The enthusiast press is everyone's PR mouthpiece. We endeavor to spread game publishers' bullshit and lies without bias or prejudice.

DFS.

BuddyC

sad2.gif

The fact that major publishers are in the gaming press's pocket should be no surprise. As a side note in case none of you noticed, EA Games is not longer part of Gamespot's payroll. IGN is now their bitch. Penny Arcade even mentioned this a while back. Gamespot severed their deal with EA after the huge backlash from the 9.3 "Freedom Fighters" review.

Insertia

Daxter Too said:
Since when did Gamespot update ANYTHING on their frontpage on the weekends? This I know: We will get a new frontpage image on saturday and one on sunday. And the same loop will repeat every weekend until the game releases.

I'm calling shenanegins whether you like it or not.

YAY GAMESPOT!! KEEP THE GTA:SA EXCLUSIVE WEEKEND UPDATES COMING!!

I HOPE THIS MEANS YOU SCORE IT REALLY HIGH TO INFLATE THE GAMERANKINGS.COM AVERAGE BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE DAXTER TOO CRY HIMSELF TO SLEEP!!

YAY GAMESPOT!!

WarPig

Daxter Too said:
The fact that major publishers are in the gaming press's pocket should be no surprise. As a side note in case none of you noticed, EA Games is not longer part of Gamespot's payroll. IGN is now their bitch. Penny Arcade even mentioned this a while back. Gamespot severed their deal with EA after the huge backlash from the 9.3 "Freedom Fighters" review.

It must be unbelievably fucking entertaining inside your brain. At least half of that is completely backwards...

DFS.

If you want I can go into what sites and even magazines are on big publisher's payroll. MS has their hands in a number of pies. Ubisoft is another I could go into.

WarPig

Daxter Too said:
If you want I can go into what sites and even magazines are on big publisher's payroll. MS has their hands in a number of pies. Ubisoft is another I could go into.

God, please, do go on.

DFS.

kasavin

In answer to the original accusation that GameSpot's extensive preview coverage will somehow impact our ability to objectively review the game, I invite the accuser to consider GameSpot's reviews and rating FAQ, which explains how we reconcile cases in which we've done a lot of preview coverage: Specifically, we select a reviewer who hasn't done any preview coverage.

We are extensively covering Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas because it's a game that we as an editorial staff and a very large portion of our users happen to be quite excited about and interested in. That and we don't have anything new to report about Alien Hominid at this time.

Also, we update our home page on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:30pm Pacific. We've been doing this for the last four or five years, without fail.

Evil Avatar and Penny Arcade have special privledges gaurenteed by MS. They even have their very own debug kits to play beta games in progress.

WarPig

Daxter Too said:
Evil Avatar and Penny Arcade have special privledges gaurenteed by MS. They even have their very own debug kits to play beta games in progress.

Cazart! I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN!

DFS.

BuddyC

Daxter Too said:
NOT PENNY ARCADE! On no, there goes the ENTIRE INDUSTRY.

Fifty

It's a friday at 6 PM and Greg Kasavin is answering crazy ramblings on GA. No one can say the man doesn't put in his hours ;)

WarPig

Fifty said:
It's a friday at 6 PM and Greg Kasavin is answering crazy ramblings on GA. No one can say the man doesn't put in his hours ;)

And this is after EIGHT YEARS at a soul-destroying shop like Gamespot. I'd get canned from that joint inside of two weeks. The man is superhuman.

DFS.

IJoel

kasavin said:
In answer to the original accusation that GameSpot's extensive preview coverage will somehow impact our ability to objectively review the game, I invite the accuser to consider GameSpot's reviews and rating FAQ, which explains how we reconcile cases in which we've done a lot of preview coverage: Specifically, we select a reviewer who hasn't done any preview coverage.

We are extensively covering Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas because it's a game that we as an editorial staff and a very large portion of our users happen to be quite excited about and interested in. That and we don't have anything new to report about Alien Hominid at this time.

Also, we update our home page on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:30pm Pacific. We've been doing this for the last four or five years, without fail.

I do have to give Kasavin props for showing up.

But most importantly, because he loved Ninja Gaiden.

Screw GTA: SA, Ninja Gaiden = GOTY!

Hey Kasavin, have you played the Hurricane Pack?

WarPig

kasavin said:
C'mon, don't sell yourself short...

Greg, IGN fired me. Do you know how hard it is to get fired from IGN? Jeremy Conrad worked there for almost three years of slacking off, leaking exclusives on IRC, scattering dandruff chunks the size of raisins, aggravating everyone within 30 yards of him, and issuing random threats of violence -- he still never got fired. I went to Gamespot, I wouldn't have time to move in my gachapon collection.

DFS.

WarPig said:
Greg, IGN fired me. Do you know how hard it is to get fired from IGN? Jeremy Conrad worked there for almost three years of slacking off, leaking exclusives on IRC, scattering dandruff chunks the size of raisins, aggravating everyone within 30 yards of him, and issuing random threats of violence -- he still never got fired. I went to Gamespot, I wouldn't have time to move in my gachapon collection.

DFS.

haha is this Dave Smith? You rock dude! IGN PS2 sucks now and has been sucking for quiet some time!

Doom_Bringer said:
why does it suck ass? I think its one the best game sites ever!
I can't really speak for the writing as I don't often care enough to read previews or reviews anymore, but the layout, media and exclusives have been crap lately.

mosaic

go eat paint
You know, if I worked at the GS offices, I wonder how long I'd honestly last... bizarre behavior and random threats of violence are the only way I get through many of my days.

One upside to freelancing is that no one can see it when I'm strangling my girlfriend's Eeyore plush and threatening genocide on all mules because I have writer's block or am playing some hack-rushed GBA game.

I also wanted to chime in on something Greg wrote above--

I invite the accuser to consider GameSpot's reviews and rating FAQ, which explains how we reconcile cases in which we've done a lot of preview coverage: Specifically, we select a reviewer who hasn't done any preview coverage.

I can vouch for this. Remember a few years back when GameSpot was doing weekly previews of whatever WWF or ECW wrestling games were set to come out? I ended up reviewing a few of those games--Oh, the pain.

They seem to hold to this standard pretty well. I recently reviewed Astro Boy GBA even though Ricardo had written up a bunch of previews within the last few months. I'm sure y'all can find more examples (I kinda have GBA blinders on these days)

Top Bottom