• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GTA:San Andreas a TOTAL FUCKING SELLOUT???

DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT THE PLOT SPOILED

Plot Summary for
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004) (VG):

Five years ago Carl Johnson escaped from the pressures of life in Los Santos, San Andreas... a city tearing itself apart with gang trouble, drugs and corruption. Where filmstars and millionaires do their best to avoid the dealers and gangbangers. Now, it's the early 90s. Carl's got to go home. His mother has been murdered, his family has fallen apart and his childhood friends are all heading towards disaster. On his return to the neighborhood, a couple of corrupt cops frame him for homicide. CJ is forced on a journey that takes him across the entire state of San Andreas, to save his family and to take control of the streets.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402224/plotsummary

- - - - -

The game is no longer about being the best criminal you can be. This one has morals, and is a tale of revenge. It even features a dead momma! Carl isnt even a criminal, he's been framed by the cops!!! How PC...

So I wont be causing random acts of crime, I will be fighting against evil gang members..... Maybe when I win the game I am given the key to San Andreas for cleaning up the streets! Oh yey!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The game is no longer about being the best criminal you can be. This one has morals, and is a tale of revenge. It even features a dead momma! Carl isnt even a criminal, he's been framed by the cops!!! How PC...

So I wont be causing random acts of crime, I will be fighting against evil gang members..... Maybe when I win the game I am given the key to San Andreas for cleaning up the streets! Oh yey!

You're completely off base... In True Crime you were a cop, but that didn't stop you from doing the things you could do. Don't assume that a fundamental gameplay element will be changed because of a little story note. :/

(Not that I'm gonna get the game, but cmon.)

Matlock

Banned
Amounts of forum bitchfests before GTA had a black main character: 3
Amounts of forum bitchfests after GTA had a black main character: 1,209,803

Conclusion:

shrug.jpg

"Who gives a fuck?"

Daxter Too said:
The game is no longer about being the best criminal you can be. This one has morals, and is a tale of revenge.

So I wont be causing random acts of crime, I will be fighting against evil gang members.....
Yes, because it's not like there was any tale of revenge in GTA3, and of course there weren't any evil gang members in that game either!

Wellington said:
You're completely off base... In True Crime you were a cop, but that didn't stop you from doing the things you could do. Don't assume that a fundamental gameplay element will be changed because of a little story note. :/

(Not that I'm gonna get the game, but cmon.)

Missed the point completely. GTA 3 and Vice City were raw, racist and downright nasty. ANtiheroes abound. The plot to this GTA SOUNDS like it was scripted by some PC screenwriter, it's only fitting it's on IMDB. Sap Sap Sap....

What's the problem? That wouldn't have spoiled any more of the story than the back of the box. Was there something preventing you from stopping when you saw that the paragraph obviously contained plot points anyway? Don't be ridiculous.

You've got them. They've hired a screenwriter from junior high, who likes to leak the plot synopsis on imdb.

Q: Seriously, where did this guy come from?

A: He seems to be Repeater. A complete jack-ass poster from IGN, who's now come here to roost. Does this thread seem familiar?

http://boards.ign.com/PS2_General_Board/b5023/62629633/?6

Either he's stealing material from one of the worst posters on the message boards, which would probably make his the new king of bad posters, or he is actually that poster. My bets on the latter. He's been banned many times on IGN and they're much less strict, so I don't expect him to last too long here.

I must ask: how is the plot being spoiled? 20 bucks says this is all information you're going to find on the back of the case/during the intro.

DaMan121

Yes, because it's not like there was any tale of revenge in GTA3, and of course there weren't any evil gang members in that game either!

Exactly. The main protaganist in the previous to GTAs are the classical anti-hero types. Sure they are criminals, but they are generally "good" guys.. that is ofcourse entirely up to you anyway, as the game cant control your..um..extra ciricular activities.

bjork

I'll play it, and I'm sure I will have fun with it, if past GTAs are any indicator. I don't look for some social message or enlightenment from a game... so long as it's fun, that's all I care about.

Insertia

Uh, I have yet to play much of Vice City (didn't like it much), but GTA3 was also a tale of revenge and getting back at the gangsters that fucked you over.

In San Adreas you recruit gangs and break into houses. If that's PC...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Daxter Too said:
Missed the point completely. GTA 3 and Vice City were raw, racist and downright nasty. ANtiheroes abound. The plot to this GTA SOUNDS like it was scripted by some PC screenwriter, it's only fitting it's on IMDB. Sap Sap Sap....

No... I got that point..., you said:

Dacter Too said:

And I responded to that.

If this is the true plot synopsis for SA then the entire tone of the series took a left turn into speilberg territory.

WHAT WE ALL WANTED:

Gang banger who wants to earn a name for himself, and end up running the Bloods or the Crips. Plays each side against the other not for the memory of his dead black momma, but for the power and cash. I play video games to escape and Love the GTA series because it is anti hollywood.

I don't want to be CUbe Gooding Jr in Boyz in the Hood, I wanna be Ice FUcking Cube.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm glad I don't play games for plot anymore

Anyway, I like the plot setup. At least it's not the same plot over and over and it's actually something different this time

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shut up. You're part of the problem with the industry today.

Open your mind and stop screaming for what you percieve as "cool".

They deserve credit for trying to move in a slightly different route. Regardless of what the storyline behind the game is, the gameplay itself will likely remain very much the same. What on earth makes you think it will change? Heck, you are probably the type of person who plays GTA just to kill people.

Out of curiousity, what OTHER games do you enjoy?

Kuroyume

Banned
Why is it when someone criticizes this GTA a few people call the person's head but when it comes to other game there isn't a bitch fest? Btw, MANY people bitched about GTA3... lots of trolls for that game. I think too many people loved the 80s so there wasn't much criticism. I think anyone who brings race into an argument over this game needs to be banned. You can't even have an honest discussion about this game anymore...

Btw, I'm saying this without reading the first post... just reading the replies...

dark10x said:
Shut up. You're part of the problem with the industry today.

Open your mind and stop screaming for what you percieve as "cool".

They deserve credit for trying to move in a slightly different route. Regardless of what the storyline behind the game is, the gameplay itself will likely remain very much the same. What on earth makes you think it will change?

Out of curiousity, what OTHER games do you enjoy?

I'm not talking about the gameplay. For an extreme example, it would be like releasing Simpsons Hit and RUn as the new GTA. Just as fun mechanicaly, but not as fun for obvious reasons.

I just beat Zero Mission on my GBA and plan on conquering the new Mario Golf next. I also play a good amount of Rallisport 2 at the moment.

dark10x

Daxter Too said:
I'm not talking about the gameplay. For an extreme example, it would be like releasing Simpsons Hit and RUn as the new GTA. Just as fun mechanicaly, but not as fun for obvious reasons.

I just beat Zero Mission on my GBA and plan on conquering the new Mario Golf next. I also play a good amount of Rallisport 2 at the moment.

Damn it, you said...

So I wont be causing random acts of crime, I will be fighting against evil gang members

What do you think that implies? I'm giving you credit by assuming you are worried about the gameplay and not something...else...

DSN2K said:

...but DSN, GTA3 refers to you as a CRIMINAL!!!11 It doesn't matter if the basic gameplay remains the same in SA...the fact that your character may not initially be referred to as a criminal makes ALL the difference. Didn't you know?

Brofist

You are basing your opinion on a quick lame ass plot summary that means nothing. You honestly think that GTA:SA is gonna be some fuckin feel good game.. :rolleyes

dark10x

Hey Daxter Too, are you even aware of what other games this particular"Rockstar" has made (under a different name)? I hope so...

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Daxter Too said:
WHAT WE ALL WANTED

When did you ask me what I wanted?

For the record, that imdb "plot synopsis" is nothing but EXPOSITION.

Those events happen before the game even starts. You don't know how raw this game is going to be during the course of the story.

And about GTA becoming Hollywoodized, uh... have you played any previous version? It takes pretty much everything from the crime film genre. I doubt the level of filmic influence on this game will be any different.

This boy done list his mind.

Top Bottom