• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HL2 going to look as bad as CS: Source?

Mason

I'm sitting here checking out these screenshots of CS: Source, and I'm not seeing how this looks any better than it originally did. It's been over a year since I've played CS so my memory is obviously a bit rusty, but the improvement cannot be that drastic at all. The textures still look like crap and the maps are still square and ugly. The only differences I can see are that the characters look quite a bit more detailed and there are some nice lighting effects here and there.

Anyway, HL2 isn't as impressive in screenshots as it used to be, there's no doubt about that. But it's going to look better than CS: S, right? CS: S just looks like crap because it's sort of an upgrade to what's already there, correct?

Mason

But I'm asking, the reason CS: S looks bad is because of the limitations of what was there, right? HL2 should show what the engine is actually capable of, correct?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont think they had much time to port CS:S. I'm sure HL2 will look better. Just look at that Half Life Source pic, you can tell that they didn't put as much effort into the ports. But it doesn't really matter when they're giving that content for free

Mason said:
I'm sitting here checking out these screenshots of CS: Source, and I'm not seeing how this looks any better than it originally did. It's been over a year since I've played CS so my memory is obviously a bit rusty, but the improvement cannot be that drastic at all. The textures still look like crap and the maps are still square and ugly. The only differences I can see are that the characters look quite a bit more detailed and there are some nice lighting effects here and there.

Anyway, HL2 isn't as impressive in screenshots as it used to be, there's no doubt about that. But it's going to look better than CS: S, right? CS: S just looks like crap because it's sort of an upgrade to what's already there, correct?

CS:source looks like crap on the average joe PC, since they released the beta you obviously going to see more pics of the game running on slow machines....

DSN2K

CS:S is only a port with new models and HL2 physics engine.

most of the textures are same as before, HL2 will use the source engine to its full ability. :)

922013_20040730_screen008.jpg

08.jpg

see. :D

Most serious cs players demand higher framerate over complex graphics and lighting. I think valve is bending to their wishes, not anything to do with the hl2 engine sucking.

SKluck

Banned
HL2 and CS2 will look nothing like CS:S. Considering they barely updated the textures or geometry in CS:S, of course it looks like shit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is true that CS: Source is not too terribly impressive looking...but HL2 should look MUCH better as it is original content designed for the engine. However, CS:S really does look a whole lot better than the original CS...

Here are two pics I took on my own PC...

You can see how much better CS:S really looks in comparison.

cs.jpg

css.jpg

Zilch

Banned
GashPrex said:
CS:S looks far better in motion. I have played a ton of it.

Exactly. I knew before even opening the thread that the thread starter obviously hadn't played CS:Source yet.

Paradox

If the source doesent visually look any better then the original cs to your eyes then your just blind or drunk :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Paradox said:
If the source doesent visually look any better then the original cs to your eyes then your just blind or drunk :lol

Or he's trying to convince himself that he doesn't need to upgrade his computer to run Half-Life 2 :p

Top Bottom