• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Labyrinth (1986) a classic film?

Is it?

• Yes, it's a classic

Votes: 61 88.4%
  • No, it's cheeseball

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member
I never saw it. Just clips of it.
But I would say it's a cult classic. The kind of movie that has a relatively small, but loyal following.

jason10mm

Gold Member
In what world is it NOT a classic?

It has almost 100% in camera practical effects from THE MASTER, Jim Henson. It has GODDAMNED DAVID BOWIE and a smoking hoo (let me check age....uhhh) WILL BECOME a smoking hot Jennifer Connelly.

Any attempt to make this film today would devolve into a riot of nauseating CG garbage around a sassy precocious and utterly annoying teen girl with an overly topical quip dropping Goblin King (doing a bad Robert Downey Jr impression) an a rap soundtrack provided by Q-tip. NO THANKS.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Definitely a couple of socks down the front of Bowies trousers there.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I can grudgingly accept there are many people in the world who consider it a classic, but I missed the boat because of my age. There are a bunch of movies that came out around then, Labyrinth, The Goonies, Temple of Doom, Legend, that I probably would loved if they came out like a year or two sooner. As a sophomore in high school suddenly obsessed with punk rock and beer and boobs, there was just no way I could get into them. And when I finally watched them years later as an adult, I expected to be able to appreciate them, but nope.

bitbydeath

I can grudgingly accept there are many people in the world who consider it a classic, but I missed the boat because of my age. There are a bunch of movies that came out around then, Labyrinth, The Goonies, Temple of Doom, Legend, that I probably would loved if they came out like a year or two sooner. As a sophomore in high school suddenly obsessed with punk rock and beer and boobs, there was just no way I could get into them. And when I finally watched them years later as an adult, I expected to be able to appreciate them, but nope.
You missed out man.
jennifer-connelly.gif

reezoo

I still remember (I was 7 year old, now 45) the friday night it was on tv when i woke up after evening nap. My father came back from night prayers and we watched it while eating goat biryani for dinner! one of the few moments I still remember vividly. Definitely a classic.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth bombed in theaters. Just like Wizard of Oz.
That metric only matters when BO is the ONLY revenue stream. Dark Crystal made 44 mill on a 15 mill budget, it did ok. Labyrinth not so much, 15 mill on 25 mill budget, but I bet both have made quite a bit on video sales over the past 40 years.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If you like that kind of thing one can see his entire cock and balls on display.

His entire cock and balls.

All of it.

INC

Both Dark Crystal and Labyrinth bombed in theaters. Just like Wizard of Oz.
So did citizen kane, shawshank redemption, blade runner, the thing, fight club etc etc not really a good way to judge a films ability to be a classic

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yes, absolutely, i watched it at the time, then my daughter became a huge fan of it when she was in her late teens, early twenties, 25 years after it came out, that's how you know it's a classic film.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Yeah, probably, certainly was on in the background when I got to suck on some titties as magnificent as Connelly’s like 15 years ago.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I thought it was a disappointment back in the day. Didn't like it when I saw it in the cinema, never had an urge to rewatch it.

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
Went to see it at Cinema when I was about 8/9
Shit hot film.
Better than the endless cgi stuff that gets farted out continuously.

Top Bottom