• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is low latency RAM worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is low latency RAM worth it? It seems a good deal pricier, but I've seen claims that its worth it because it does give a substansial increase in gaming performance.

Shompola

Banned
Ehh it won't give any siginificant difference in games. You will most likely not notice it. Also low latency is good when you want to OC memory or fsb.

Diablos

Not so sure about that - In some cases better timings are better than more RAM (e.g. gaming).

Someone with 512MB of dual channel PC3500 will outperform my 1GB of dual channel PC2100 for sure, especially in games.

Differing opinions, Biff is confused. I'm not interested in OC'ing. I'd like to save the extra cash, but if it'll really make a big difference I'll pay for it. I was going to get some regular pc-3200 from crucial, but now I'm looking at some low latency corsair. Big price difference, but the user reviews rave about the ram. Again, main focus is games. I don't care about video editing or anything like that.

Diablos said:
Not so sure about that - In some cases better timings are better than more RAM (e.g. gaming).

Someone with 512MB of dual channel PC3500 will outperform my 1GB of dual channel PC2100 for sure, especially in games.

You are talking few pecentage points. Couple of frames per second. He's not overclocking. He doesn't need it.

Shompola

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
Differing opinions, Biff is confused. I'm not interested in OC'ing. I'd like to save the extra cash, but if it'll really make a big difference I'll pay for it. I was going to get some regular pc-3200 from crucial, but now I'm looking at some low latency corsair. Big price difference, but the user reviews rave about the ram. Again, main focus is games. I don't care about video editing or anything like that.

How much more does this super memory card cost, and is it one of those super expensive corsair XLPRO's? They are only worth it if you are one of those guys who wants to have the fastest possible pc out there.

Shompola said:
How much more does this super memory card cost, and is it one of those super expensive corsair XLPRO's? They are only worth it if you are one of those guys who wants to have the fastest possible pc out there.

There are different brands I'm looking at, but the general price rang is 80 for the regular ram and 150-180 for the super ram. If its only going to give me 10-15 fps increase...freak dat!

dem

I doubt it would get you anywhere close to 15 more fps.
I wouldnt be suprised if its <5...

Biff Hardbody said:
There are different brands I'm looking at, but the general price rang is 80 for the regular ram and 150-180 for the super ram. If its only going to give me 10-15 fps increase...freak dat!

Try 2 or 3 FPS.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Not worth the money.

Didn't I already tell you this, Biff. :p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
lol. I have been sort of bragging about my OC because I couldn't believe I got it to work so easily, cheaply and actually get the performance.

Yeah, my RAM can do 1000 MHz in dual channel.

But...

He's asking about latency. Like the best you can get is 2-2-2-5 T1. Worst 3-4-4-8. There's like 2% difference between the two in performance, yet people spend like $150 more just to get 2-2-2-5 T1. That's craziness.

Now bandwidth is worth it if you can overclock. I spent $60 more on my mobo to get an IC7 Max III and $50 more on my RAM to get PC4000 got my P4 3.0 C to P4 3.4 EE speeds and beyond. My processor = $220. P4 3.4 EE = $1000.

Even so, an AMD Socket 939 will own my system in memory bandwidth even with PC3200.

teh_pwn said:
Not worth the money.

Didn't I already tell you this, Biff. :p

Yeah you did...forgive me though, I'm exhausted...been reading so much shit about every piece of equipment in my PC. Reviews, benchmarks...its all coming together though. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get some crucial pc3200 or some OCZ pc3200. They have the exact same specs, except the OCZ is 2.5 instead oc rucials 3 in read speed. Same price too. Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom