• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PGR 2 worth.....

19.99? Looking for another game to hold me over until the official Halo 2 timesuck is released onto the world......

So with online and downloadable content could I play some serious hours on this? Or is it just a big waste of time?

Thanks.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If you like racers than yes, for me it suffered greatly from the "i am a racer therefor i will make you do exactly the same thing hundreds of times before you complete me" syndrome. But i dont like racers so meh.

B'z-chan

Banned
It can be one of the most challenging racers out there with the right people over live. And their is always a game to be had on live. So its still popular after almost a year. Which is a added plus.

If you like racers and want a good one for live you cant go wrong with PGR2, while your at it complete your racing needs by buying rallisport challenge 2 the other great racer on xbox. If your looking for arcade fun go the route of Burnout3.

And dont forget to pick up forza in 05

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ghost said:
If you like racers than yes, for me it suffered greatly from the "i am a racer therefor i will make you do exactly the same thing hundreds of times before you complete me" syndrome. But i dont like racers so meh.

Actually, that's what PGR2 (and PGR) DOESN'T feel like to me. The Kudos challenges make things a lot more interesting and varied instead of just, well, racing. The cone challenges are a blast, most addictive game mode in a racer ever IMO.

But PGR is worth picking up too IMO. I found the tracks to be more fun than in PGR2, and the framerate is nicer (even though it occassionally dives). I don't play over Live either, so that has no impact on me. And PGR is a lot more challenging as well.

PGR 1 is a way better game than PGR2. For one, the cone challenges aren't broken and shit, they're actually fucking awesome. Actually, the only thing that saves PGR2 is the online component, which is great.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
definitely worth 19.99.

Had a lot of fun with it.

Don't buy it if your eyes melt if the frame rate isn't 60fps though.

I loved the game and the way is paced, though I'm not a racers' freak. I eventually stopped playing around three quarters of the game, but the different difficulty levels are excellent and unlike, say, GT, it's always challenging but not too much. It's so balanced it's hard not to enjoy it, unless you have a problem with the genre.

And there's still plenty of people playing on Live!, the online mode is well implemented and it pays off. Very fun to play online.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^ - thank god you have no sway in the gaming industry.

PGR2 worth 19.99? It's worth 49.99!

What does that have to do w/ what I just said? The game has well-known oversteer issues. Just doesn't 'feel' like it should IMO. Compared to other racers I enjoy anyway.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
DaCocoBrova said:
The control/driving model is fucked IMO.

Even though I stll play on live and love the games we play in, I totally agree with this. Actually I am the one who pointed much of this out to them.

One of the issues is how the car just automatically gets sucked into a wall if too close coming out of a corner even though you are going straight.

Some of the guys I play with are tops on the cone challenges and the time trials and they all say the same thing. But the game is a blast.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PGR1>2, but bonus points to PGR2 for modelling the apartment building I live in on a couple of the downtown Chicago tracks.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I would have to say PGR1 is better becuase its 60fps.

But the reflections sure aren't. It may be nitpicky, but it makes the game looks like it's < 60fps.

SKluck

Banned
I got it last year as part of the TRU 3 for 2 deal and I haven't played it for more than 1 hour.

But then again I suck.

Ranger X

buy.
But try to find a TOCA 2, it's better.

Oh yeah and there's MANY fucktards playing PGR2 online to the point it bore you to death within 3 races.

Fusebox

Banned
Is there a sudden influx of people here who never owned a 30 fps game before in their life?

How quickly we forget how far we've come. As a big fan of Street Rod and Street Rod II, I strongly endorse all the improvements made in racing games since then.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
metdroid said:
I dunno, some sort of motion sickness because it's all stuttery

Pupils react differently. The more your pupils dialate in and out the sicker you get. But I only have that problem with bad FPS games that have very random color schemes and bobbing motion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
as long as the frame rate is steady - which for PGR2 it is - then i don't see what the problem is.

Don't listen to the frame rate douche bags, the game is fine.

Top Bottom