• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is physical gaming/Sony doomed after Astro sold out at several retailers?

DryvBy

I was talking to a friend and my uncle that works in the industry, and they both agree that after Concord, gaming is doomed. Astro came out, and while it's been sold out at several retailers, they used their jump to conclusions mat all the way to the gaming is done, especially physical gaming.

My uncle said he believes they only made about 5 physical copies and someone on NeoGAF bought them all since they only support Song.

So anyway, what do you guys think? Is this the end of Sony? Has physical media dried up? Or are the people posting these threads on every website just braindead?

drganon

doomed-the-simpsons.gif

Duchess

It's not sold out in the UK; you can get it at loads of retailers.

If it's sold out elsewhere, it means either not many copies were printed to begin with, or (more likely) demand is outstripping supply.

Last edited:
It's just a testament of the lack of confidence of Hulst with this game. Usually they print what they think will sell. At amazon japan it's sold and available at +9k yens at resellers. Ridiculous. What's happening is that they want to force people into digital slavery.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No but every target around where I lived just drastically reduced game shelving space. Now there is mostly hardware and digital cards.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

King Dazzar

If it's sold out elsewhere, it means either not many copies were printed to begin with, or (more likely) demand is outstripping supply.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Something selling out to me simply indicates higher than expected demand.

Nydius

So anyway, what do you guys think? Is this the end of Sony? Has physical media dried up? Or are the people posting these threads on every website just braindead?

Yes, physical media is doomed! In fact, as I typed this all my physical disks spontaneously combusted and, in their ashes, I found a note that said “hahahah so long sucker!”

Isa

Gold Member
It would be interesting to find out just how many disks are made for certain publishers. From games, music, manga, anime, movies and stuff from boutique labels I've found vastly different print runs estimating demand. Some still have a decent supply after release day, others sell out instantly and prices start to soar. I've gotten some that I found out were limited to 2k copies for US & UK.

For gaming, at least in the US I imagine one reason for a big push for digital would be to escape the buyback policy or whatever that retailers placed on gaming companies since the 80's crash. One hell of a bad deal imho. Astro Bot selling is great news though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What?

Unless Astro sales are being blocked on Amazon its constantly been in the top 5 in Best Sellers in video games since it launched. Only thing ahead of it has been gift cards.

What is even going on?

Sometimes you can even check how much may have been sold for some items.

Astrobot is at 10K+ bought in past month. In the US.

.....the game launched 2 days ago....

OP plz.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was talking to a friend and my uncle that works in the industry, and they both agree that after Concord, gaming is doomed. Astro came out, and while it's been sold out at several retailers, they used their jump to conclusions mat all the way to the gaming is done, especially physical gaming.

My uncle said he believes they only made about 5 physical copies and someone on NeoGAF bought them all since they only support Song.

I mean Astrobot is the top selling physical game on Amazon's best selling video game items for 2024 and it is behind several varieties of Roblox cards, the Quest 3 [an apparently niche product], a baby bottle drying rack, a couple of mice and isn't that far ahead of the Wii HDMI converter. Doesn't exactly present a rosy picture of physical games in the US at least.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I didn't read the OP, but I'm here just to confirm Sony is indeed Doom and has been for a while now. See you all tomorrow to cotinue spreading the message.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I mean Astrobot is the top selling physical game on Amazon and it is behind several varieties of Roblox cards, the Quest 3 [an apparently niche product], a baby bottle drying rack, a couple of mice and isn't that far ahead of the Wii HDMI converter. Doesn't exactly present a rosy picture of physical games in the US at least.
?

Gift cards are are usually the highest selling product in video games on Amazon. Any game in the top 5 is usually selling alot.

Unless we're now gonna say Nintendo games that be behind gift cards arent selling alot.

DryvBy

This thread proves people don't read threads lol. If you couldn't tell this was a joke by the opening or the ending...

This is mostly mocking the endless post-Concord threads about Sony being doomed.

Sooner

I didn't read the OP, but I'm here just to confirm Sony is indeed Doom and has been for a while now. See you all tomorrow to cotinue spreading the message.

Microsoft is the reason PS5 is Doom-ed. They are Doom-ing it day one with The Dark Ages. Xbox and Steam are also getting Doom-ed.

Hohenheim

Your friend and your uncle needs to stay of the hard drugs.

JaksGhost

It's just a testament of the lack of confidence of Hulst with this game. Usually they print what they think will sell. At amazon japan it's sold and available at +9k yens at resellers. Ridiculous. What's happening is that they want to force people into digital slavery.
Lack of confidence yet they’re doing a global marketing push rivaling their AAA releases. Yeah… 👍

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

GOTY better buyed this instead of gaas crud

farley-fat.gif

Barakov

Nah. Playstation is doing alright. Fugly Overwatch was bad BUT ASTROBOT restored the balance. Chill.

Last edited:
Admittedly it does seem like physical games are getting harder to find unless you order them online or to sites like Amazon. Seems like stores are getting less and less physical copies especially in my area with is VERY unfortunate.

Top Bottom