• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Pixar out of originality?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don't know about you, but I feel like Pixar is using a skeleton in their scripts.

Especially in the Toy Story movies and I've seen it recently in Inside Out 2.

The thing is that they use the same script from How Good Toy Story Was... the movie for me is the best of the franchise, but if you notice, it's always the same script from the sequels, the one about Someone Gets Lost and Found. Form a team to recover it and return home.

Intensely, the same... They are separated from their Home and have to return in the same way... using resources and in the end they lose hope, but then they find a way to return.

Not to mention the lack of evolution in the concept of Art, which uses almost the same character modeling in most films.

1366_2000.jpeg

Intensamente-Reily.jpg

andytoystoy8693.jpg

They almost use the same character model in all their films.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yep. Have been for a while. Same with Disney in general. In fact, most AAA games and movies have been circling the creativity drain for the better part of a decade.

Ballthyrm

Let me rephrase that for you.

Are Disney willing to take creative risk like the pixar of old ?

I don't think the talent has disappeared, they are just not the ones in power or the ones Executives listen to.

It has slowly gone to shit, just like Boeing, one corporation culture of mediocrity has taken the culture of quality that was there before that.

YCoCg

If it's what people want though. Their recent original movies have not done well box office wise and yet Inside Out 2 is already over a billion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Havent Disney and Pixar pretty much always used the same plotlines since the beginning? I remember a guy doing an article or YT video going over the movies showing how the plots are basically the same.

Same shit, different wrapper.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Havent Disney and Pixar pretty much always used the same plotlines since the beginning? I remember a guy doing an article or YT video going over the movies showing how the plots are basically the same.

Same shit, different wrapper.
I knew it... I wasn't the only one who thought that. Do you have the video?

Heimdall_Xtreme

If you start to analyze it coldly and in great detail, it's basically as if they had a skeleton script...

I mean, they play the funny introduction of the movie, they portray the protagonists as having a happy life... then something happens or there is an event that goes out of context... then they refuse to change... they leave their home or they do something destructive...then they get sad or give thoughtful lines...then there's a "Funny" character involved and they try to get back home or repair the damage.

Check these elements and it occurs in 90% of Pixar films... it is as if they already had the Script ready to use in another plot.

Fbh

Gold Member
Them reusing similar story structures isn't particularly new. And it works for kids movies.

Personally though I think the lack of variety in recent years has more to do with samey themes, which didn't use to be the case.
Aside from sequels a lot of their recent movies are focused on the themes of multiculturalism and immigration.
Luca is about the people who "come to Italy from the sea", look different and have bad things said about them, but they are just normal kids that want to fit in
Elemental is a love story about 2 people from seemingly different and incompatible cultures/races coming together
Turning Red is slightly different in that it focuses a bit more on puberty, but in the context of growing up as the kids of immigrants and how your family is different.

And just to be clear I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with any of these movies or their themes on their own. It's just that it starts to get repetitive and predictable when you release them one after another in relatively short amount of time.

If you look at, say, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouile and Wall-E, they feel way more unique in their stories and messaging.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I knew it... I wasn't the only one who thought that. Do you have the video?
I dont remember the exact content I saw on the net. But googling it, here's some Disney/Pixar Hero's Journey formula stuff.

As a bonus googling it, here's this beauty.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I really liked Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney Animation) and Soul (Pixar). Movies with themes of choices that either help or hinder people from their true purpose.

I haven't seen inside out 2 yet... But I already know how it'll go. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

Just because the movies have the same or similar skeleton doesn't mean the WAY the stories play out are not enjoyable. Most stories in movies are basically pastiches of previous movies with different plots and dialogue.

I really liked Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney Animation) and Soul (Pixar). Movies with themes of choices that either help or hinder people from their true purpose.

I hated Raya and the Last Dragon

I loved Soul

I haven't seen inside out 2 yet... But I already know how it'll go. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

I'm waiting for Inside Out 2 to come to Streaming

Just because the movies have the same or similar skeleton doesn't mean the WAY the stories play out are not enjoyable. Most stories in movies are basically pastiches of previous movies with different plots and dialogue.

Yeah I always found that argument weird. I'm fine with A movie following a formula as long as it's done well

I have been thinking so since Toy Story 4. Soul was soulless (lol I'm so witty) Luca and Onward were just OK, Turning Red was insufferable, Lightyear was Razzie-worthy, and Elemental was back to "just OK". But Inside Out 2 is pretty good. It's not a home run, but I hope it signals a return to form.

StueyDuck

I don't know about you, but I feel like Pixar is using a skeleton in their scripts.

The thing is that they use the same script from How Good Toy Story Was... the movie for me is the best of the franchise, but if you notice, it's always the same script from the sequels, the one about Someone Gets Lost and Found. Form a team to recover it and return home.

Intensely, the same... They are separated from their Home and have to return in the same way... using resources and in the end they lose hope, but then they find a way to return.

Not to mention the lack of evolution in the concept of Art, which uses almost the same character modeling in most films.

1366_2000.jpeg

Intensamente-Reily.jpg

andytoystoy8693.jpg

Havent they essentially dumped most of their real creatives.

The OG Pixar if I remember correctly essentially went to a lunch and scribbled out all their ideas for alot of their big bangers on like napkins.

Modern Pixar I imagine has a lot of disnefication with regard to its "talent"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maybe they should have time to work on a few projects not loads at once. Oh and listen to team members ideas.

Not made by checklist.

Tbh maybe it is my age but each Pixar movie of old was something to look forward to.
Now I’m kinda “eeeeh” shrugs shoulders. I can pretty much guess the story

UP is one of the greatest films ever and the intro to the film is a masterpiece

Maybe they should have time to work on a few projects not loads at once. Oh and listen to team members ideas.

Not made by checklist.

Tbh maybe it is my age but each Pixar movie of old was something to look forward to.
Now I’m kinda “eeeeh” shrugs shoulders. I can pretty much guess the story

UP is one of the greatest films ever and the intro to the film is a masterpiece

Up is still my favorite Pixar film ❤️

Last edited:

Trunx81

Looking through the lenses of my 8 year old, Turning Red was a smash hit. Soul bored her.
Luca was also great, but the Toy Story movies are still stealing the cake. And with every movie the same story, she can get into it and understand the plot immediately.

Raya was also appreciated, although not as much as other films. The soundtrack is dope, though!

Toons

1366_2000.jpeg

Intensamente-Reily.jpg

andytoystoy8693.jpg

I mean... they have entire movies with non human characters like wall-E and elemental.

They use a similar framework for their human characters in most movies but idk if that is fair they've always used that and a lot of other studios copy them

Doom85

What you mean? Their latest film has a poc main character who is also disabled! So new and different!

Wait What GIF by Willie Jones

Riley is…..

Rocking Out GIF

a poc and also disabled…..

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

All I know is box office wise she put a certain group of yellow turds in their fucking place.

yell freak out GIF

About time Illumination, the masters of mediocrity, took a L. They can’t rely on the Mario IP and increasingly bad sequels to carry them forever.

Riley is…..

Rocking Out GIF

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

All I know is box office wise she put a certain group of yellow turds in their fucking place.

yell freak out GIF

About time Illumination, the masters of mediocrity, took a L. They can’t rely on the Mario IP and increasingly bad sequels to carry them forever.

What did the Minions ever do to you?

Also that Mario movie was awesome 👀

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Riley is…..

Rocking Out GIF

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

yell freak out GIF

I'm referring to the one I saw a preview of in the theater. I couldn't tell you the name.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If it's what people want though. Their recent original movies have not done well box office wise and yet Inside Out 2 is already over a billion.

This mirrors what is happening in gaming. New IP bombs while everyone gravitates towards sequels and established IP.

What is happening to the humans? When did we start getting lame?

Doom85

I'm referring to the one I saw a preview of in the theater. I couldn't tell you the name.

Ah, yes, well, the director is Spanish (he also did Coco, so he’s not new to Pixar), so I’ll be sure to let him know you’re annoyed the main character is Spanish.

What did the Minions ever do to you?

Also that Mario movie was awesome 👀

The first two DM movies were okay.

DM 3 was trash including the Minions part (seriously, their story and the girls’ story had nothing to do with the plot, it was a ton of filler), but the villain was actually great.

The only good part of Minions 1 was the robber family who appear briefly in the first half.

And when I saw a Minions 2 trailer where it was 75% screaming, I couldn’t anymore. Those little annoying shits need to removed from theaters.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

Mario? Carried by the animation* and voice acting (well, Pratt was okay, but the rest of the cast slapped). But brought down by a severe lack of creativity and humor (the death-loving Star was funny). So ultimately a forgettable experience.

Thank god the Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes director is doing Legend of Zelda. Hopefully he brings that same creativity, rather than getting a second Nintendo movie that’s only remarkable because of the IP itself.

*to be clear, Illumination’s animators never slack off. It’s just their writers who are garbage at their job.

Ah, yes, well, the director is Spanish (he also did Coco, so he’s not new to Pixar), so I’ll be sure to let him know you’re annoyed the main character is Spanish.

I love Coco so I'm looking forward to his next film

The first two DM movies were okay.

DM 3 was trash including the Minions part (seriously, their story and the girls’ story had nothing to do with the plot, it was a ton of filler), but the villain was actually great.

The only good part of Minions 1 was the robber family who appear briefly in the first half.

And when I saw a Minions 2 trailer where it was 75% screaming, I couldn’t anymore. Those little annoying shits need to removed from theaters.

Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

Mario? Carried by the animation* and voice acting (well, Pratt was okay, but the rest of the cast slapped). But brought down by a severe lack of creativity and humor (the death-loving Star was funny). So ultimately a forgettable experience.

Yeah I loved the Mario movie

suck my dick middle finger GIF

👀 👀 👀

Thank god the Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes director is doing Legend of Zelda. Hopefully he brings that same creativity, rather than getting a second Nintendo movie that’s only remarkable because of the IP itself.

Yeah I just saw Kingdom recently. Enjoyed it but found it mostly forgettable. Dawn is still my favorite out of rebooted Planet of the Apes films. Only hope I have the Live Action Zelda film will be good is that Wes Ball is actually a huge fan of the franchise. He even said on Twitter that if he ever made a Zelda film, he would love to make it in the Ghibli style

*to be clear, Illumination’s animators never slack off. It’s just their writers who are garbage at their job.

True

Their productions always look great but most of the time the story isn't that great

Doom85

He's also disabled. Don't forget that part when you have your conversation with lmao

Well, the director is also gay, but he probably decided to go with disabled instead so some people wouldn’t be angry that the film studio that has displayed abandonment (Toy Story 2), babies’ death (Finding Nemo), attempted suicide (The Incredibles), a miscarriage (Up), the entire main cast accepting death into a fiery pit (Toy Story 3), and an hour and half of nothing but a huge pile of feces being displayed on screen (Cars 2) DARED to show or even imply LGBT people exist. I mean, let’s not “expose” our little ones to something “they’re not ready for”, Pixar was clearly always about Blue’s Clue’s level of mature content.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well, the director is also gay, but he probably decided to go with disabled instead so some people wouldn’t be angry that the film studio that has displayed abandonment (Toy Story 2), babies’ death (Finding Nemo), suicide (The Incredibles), a miscarriage (Up), the entire main cast accepting death into a fiery pit (Toy Story 3), and an hour and half of nothing but a huge pile of feces being displayed on screen (Cars 2) DARED to show or even imply LGBT people exist. I mean, let’s not “expose” our little ones to something “they’re not ready for”, Pixar was clearly always about Blue’s Clue’s level of mature content.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF
I'm not sure what you find so funny. There's nothing funny about a poor disabled kid. I hope he'll be able to succeed despite his handicap. We haven't had any films representing that... lol

Laptop1991

Yes, that applies to most of the modern entertainment industries now, there's a good reason the older products are considered the better ones, at the moment if Hollywood or Disney and a lot of the gaming industry just disappeared all of a sudden, i wouldn't be bothered at all or miss it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I mean... they have entire movies with non human characters like wall-E and elemental.

They use a similar framework for their human characters in most movies but idk if that is fair they've always used that and a lot of other studios copy them
WALLE-FinalPlanting-1024x420.jpg

The fucking same human characters

Pigenator

Their new IPs bomb and their sequels are massively successful.
Inside Out 2 is well on its way to become the #1 grossing animated film of all time.

So from a business perspective they have absolutely no reason to strive for originality

They have a house style. Most animation studios do
I've noticed that people will make this complaint more with western studios than eastern ones. Maybe they haven't been exposed to enough works to know.

I also think part of the problem is that Pixar themselves started trying out some new art styles, so when they go back to what's familiar people consider that safe and bad.

Doom85

kanye west wtf GIF

Look, I’m not complaining, but was the character designer for Ghibli really hungry for some Wendy’s when they came up with this one?

Funny enough, I can’t remember if it was Wendy’s or Arby’s, but I remember years back their Facebook and Twitter was being run by someone(s) who was a big anime fan, making pics of arranging fries and such to make structures from Ghibli films. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure references, etc. Edit: to be clear, this was their US social media, since their Japanese social media doing that wouldn’t be surprising

Last edited:

Trilobit

Let me rephrase that for you.

Are Disney willing to take creative risk like the pixar of old ?

I don't think the talent has disappeared, they are just not the ones in power or the ones Executives listen to.

It has slowly gone to shit, just like Boeing, one corporation culture of mediocrity has taken the culture of quality that was there before that.

The smaller the studio the less committee decisions. Big companies is where creativity often goes to die unless it's run by people with insight into the artistic process.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Remember when we used to think we'd get animations like the Wrath of the Lich King cinematic? Yeah I member. And yet here we are 20? years later, no animation movie has managed to surpass game cinematics from many years ago and instead all we get is cartoonish stuff. Movie industry is fucked.

Toons

Awww... But Ghibli studios are art.

Pixar and ghibli both have their weaker entries.

But both have undeniably made some of the greatest animated films, if not films period, ever made.

If you ask me WALL-E goes right in the same category alongside well regarded classics in film like casablanca or 1w angry men. Its nearly without flaw as a movie.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Pixar and ghibli both have their weaker entries.

But both have undeniably made some of the greatest animated films, if not films period, ever made.

If you ask me WALL-E goes right in the same category alongside well regarded classics in film like casablanca or 1w angry men. Its nearly without flaw as a movie.
Only Ghibli and Wall-E.

Top Bottom