• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is SCEA carpet bombing November to counter Halo 2?

5 major titles all in November by a single publisher is alot no matter who it is. Based on past sales (and a hype meter assumption of Killzone), these should all sell over a million.

SCEA's release dates:
-----------------------------
Killzone Nov 2
Ratchet & Clank: UYA Nov 2
ATV Offroad Fury 3 Nov 2
Jak 3 Nov 16
GT 4 Nov

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They will all sell very well, but they will not put a dent in Halo 2's sales. Halo 2 is HUGE and NOTHING will change that...

If anything, they are hurting themselves in some cases. I mean, I'm interested in some of those titles...but will be purchasing NONE of them early on simply due to the fact that many other games I prefer are being released alongside them.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
What gives you the opinion that any of these besides GT4 will sell over a million? What were the sales of the previous titles in that series and how long ago where they out?

If anything, they are hurting themselves in some cases. I mean, I'm interested in some of those titles...but will be purchasing NONE of them early on simply due to the fact that many other games I prefer are being released alongside them.

Oh my god that's one less of each of those titles purchased confirmed! Sony = Doom3d

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Everything I've read about Killzone said is was nothing special at all.

I still don't believe that GT4 is gonna make it out this year.

And let's be honest here. There isn't a Halo fan in the world that would buy Jak or Ratchet&Clank instead of Halo, much less pick a racing (no matter which one it is).

The point isn't that they will hurt Halo's sales, they won't.

It's more a factor of saying well it's 5-1 (not including MGS3, Ace Combat 5, etc). The 1 will clearly be the best, but the 5 will take "some" attention away from the Xbox Halo monster.

DarienA said:
What gives you the opinion that any of these besides GT4 will sell over a million? What were the sales of the previous titles in that series and how long ago where they out?

With the possible exception of Killzone, these series have all either reached a million already, or will reach a million pretty easily. I'm not saying they'll hit a million this calendar year (only GT4 will), but they are million sellers, which just supports the contention that they are "major" releases.

:D:D:D

lol @ conspiract theory. What about releasing good games for the holiday season? And getting a equivocal return? I mean isn't that why all the Nbots are lamenting RE4's delay.

dark10x said:
They will all sell very well, but they will not put a dent in Halo 2's sales. Halo 2 is HUGE and NOTHING will change that...

I completely agree. I'm getting all 5, but I'd bet most won't. Putting them all so close (and 3 on the same day!) is crazy.

HSG:Fore! (Aug)
Sly (Sept)
.. and the rest in Nov.

I would have preferred spacing them out.

1 in Aug
2 in Sep
2 in Oct
2 in Nov

Deku Tree

Could be... not to counter the sales of the game Halo 2 but to try and keep a healthy lead in monthly console sales. It would be bad PR for Sony if xbox won the Nov console sales b/c of Halo 2.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
McFly said:
GT4 alone will easely top Halo 2 sales ... by a big margin actualy.

Fredi

Halo has just passed GT3 in sales (in the north american market)

Big margin? You know what games are sitting above Halo? GTA. I seriously doubt GT4 will eclipse Halo 2 sales.

I will sort of expand on GreenGiant's words. In October you have GTA: SA, in November you have Halo 2. Those 2 games alone are reasons to be scared. They will be the best selling games for the entire next year, alot of publishers are just placing their bets that since gamers will be spending more money during the holiday season, they can squeek in some extra sales regardless of the 2 giants. But either way you look at it, a lot of publishers will be missing their target sales.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
:lol

Sony doesn't give a fuck about M$. Next gen maybe, but not now.

DopeyFish

DaCocoBrova said:
:lol

Sony doesn't give a fuck about M$. Next gen maybe, but not now.

oh yes they do, maybe they're not worried about overall base but Microsoft is REALLY starting to catch up... you let something like Halo2 stay on the loose for too long and Sony could really get hit hard... Especially when going into next-gen.

DarienA

DopeyFish said:
oh yes they do, maybe they're not worried about overall base but Microsoft is REALLY starting to catch up... you let something like Halo2 stay on the loose for too long and Sony could really get hit hard... Especially when going into next-gen.

Please define REALLY.

DopeyFish

DarienA said:
Please define REALLY.

Microsoft is starting to become on-par with Sony in gamers minds. You can't just whip out a sheet and say "wow, sony sold 70 million units, but Microsoft only sold 30 million.... Sony will win next-gen". It's ALL about how and when they're sold and where momentum is leaning.

DarienA

DopeyFish said:
Microsoft is starting to become on-par with Sony in gamers minds. You can't just whip out a sheet and say "wow, sony sold 70 million units, but Microsoft only sold 30 million.... Sony will win next-gen". It's ALL about how and when they're sold and where momentum is leaning.

Oh so in essence there is no REALLY you just came up with an arbitrary statement that you obviously can't back up.

Thanks just wanted that clarification.

DopeyFish said:

Of course, you'll have to change the numbers a bit.

Sony - 72 million
Microsoft - 15 million

changes things a bit :D

Top Bottom