• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Shadow Heart worth playing?

I am tempted to get Shadow Heart: Covenant because I can get Shadow Heart for free if I pre-order. What do u guys think about this game? How is its quality compare to FFs and Xenogear/Xenosaga? I love these two series and I love RPG with deep and good character development. How's the combat? Does it get stale quickly?

It wasn't outstanding but I liked it. Story's not much, if you care about that, but the setting is (unfortunately) novel and that keeps things a little more interesting. The battles involve quite a few Mario RPG-type timed commands, so that keeps the pace up.

I bought it fairly early in the PS2 lifespan and enjoyed it then, though I'd say there are quite a few better choices out now. But since it's a free with a SH2 pre-order, you can't beat the price... :p

Ar_

If you like production values, quality graphics, cute boys and girls (final fantasy Im watching at you!), you arent going to find them on SH1.

If you want a cool setting, novel charcters, FEW RANDOM BATTLES, good soundtrack, get it.

One of my fav PS2 rpgs.

ferricide

it's a nice game. short, sweet, and entertaining -- even if the graphics were ugly then (think PS1, more or less) and are probably uglier now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The game seemed to be pretty fun, my girlfriend has it and she enjoyed it a lot. The setting is pretty unique as far as RPGs go, and the battle system is fairly interesting, though they overuse the whole judgement ring gimmick. Graphics are PS1 style prerendered backgrounds though, and the music is kind of mellow (even in battles)... It's a nice change of pace from most RPGs though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game was a mixed bag...but there were plenty of high points.

It really does look like a high-res, 60 fps PSX game and I can't say I was impressed with the writing...but it's worth playing. One thing that always struck me as odd how they handled the in-battle voices. It was almost as if they stopped dubbing when they were halfway finished...as 50% of the battle voices are English while the other 50% are Japanese. The voice actors sound very different and the recording quality differs. It is so odd to hear them constantly switch between two different voices...

Flawed but fun, as others have already said. I really liked the combat system, some others seem to hate it. The localization is a bit iffy, with dialogue and dubbing oddities as dark10x points out...if you get Keith's ultimate weapon, be prepared for one of the fruitiest cutscenes you'll ever see. However, the setting is refreshingly different, and the characters have a lot of charm to them.

As for the plot, it is most enjoyable when working on a smaller scale. The larger story arc is pretty standard JRPG stuff (though with darker themes than most), but there are many moments where the story strays from that formula to focus on a small village, a minor character, etc. That's where the game is at its best.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One more reason to play it...

SCHLOOOOOOP
SCHLOOOOOOP
SCHLOOOOOOP
SHPLAT!

Ar_

Catchpenny said:
...if you get Keith's ultimate weapon, be prepared for one of the fruitiest cutscenes you'll ever see.

I didnt know if to laugh or cry watching that!
And the SHPLAT!
ABSOLUTE SAGE ZHUZEN! Beaten like a carpet and still joking, got to admire the old guy.
The protagonist repeatedly making a fool of himself - "Only I can eat this girl!".
Bacon, his house.... "I think I shouldnt look you in the eyes".

Cool quirky game, made me smile.
Refreshing, after the indigestion of Cute Boys acting Cool, meeting a Cute Girl, and defeating the Sexy Villain - courtesy of Square & Friends.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dark10x said:
One more reason to play it...
SCHLOOOOOOP ...
SCHLOOOOOOP ...
SCHLOOOOOOP ...
SHPLAT!
Oh sweet merciful God I was rolling on the floor.
Pretty decent game so far, I was actually playing it recently, but then got the urge to finish Suikoden II.

Ar_

Is a long voice acted sequence where an old woman tells you a drammatic tale, and voices the misterious sounds heard from the protagonist of the story, with insistent repetition and greatly involved tone.
She sounds a tad senile, to say the least =(

I am currently plalying Tales of Symphonia and I am majorly impressed by the battle system. The battle system reminds me of the one in Grandia; the battle is so alive and intense. I think I will pass on this one because after I finished Tales, I want to get Baten Kaitos or Star Ocean III. Can't find the time to fit Shadow Heart I & II in my playing schedule.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I liked the original Shadow Hearts quite a bit. It's not going to blow you away or anything, but its fun to play.

Top Bottom