• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a way to fix a corrupted rar file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw

Banned
I downloaded a rar file but when trying to extract I get "Header corrupted" blah blah blah about 6 or 7 corrupted errors. Is there a way to fix the file?

To be honest, you'd probably be best just redownloading it, unless you're sure the source is corrupted as well. There are ways to fix corrupted or incomplete rars, but its' really a pain in the ass, and requires a lot of time. Plus you have to download other files in order to fix the rar file.

In short, no.

Unless someone know another technique?

DJ Sl4m

JeffDowns said:
To be honest, you'd probably be best just redownloading it, unless you're sure the source is corrupted as well. There are ways to fix corrupted or incomplete rars, but its' really a pain in the ass, and requires a lot of time. Plus you have to download other files in order to fix the rar file.

In short, no.

Unless someone know another technique?

Right click on the file and select "repair", once it's done repairing (and not all are) delete the old file you had to repair and rename the newly repaired file as the old file.

If it's repairable, this is all you need to do.

Vlad

If you got the Rar file(s) from a newsgroup, check to see if any PAR/PAR2 files were posted with it.

If so, you can use those to repair the broken file.

Vlad said:
If you got the Rar file(s) from a newsgroup, check to see if any PAR/PAR2 files were posted with it.

If so, you can use those to repair the broken file.

Bingo... Par files... I couldn't remember the name...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom