• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any hope whatsoever for Marvel vs CAPCOM in 2019 and beyond?

MvC: Infinite didn't really live up to the standard. 30 characters at launch, with a whopping 6 (yes, six!) more characters added as paid DLC. Where are the rest?

I understand CAPCOM's dicey licensing situation with Disney, but that only affects the 'Marvel' half of the roster. Could they not have at least supported the game with a few more on the CAPCOM side to make up for it? 36 total characters in an MvC game, compared to 48 in MvC3 and 56 in MvC2.

After launch, CAPCOM added Team Up Hyper-Combo... for two playable characters, Winter Soldier and Capt. America. One of the required characters is DLC, too. I understand that supporting a feature like this would cost money, but it's another example of how haphazardly they treated this game.

Unlike Street Fighter V, CAPCOM seems to show no interest in injecting life into the game to overcome the launch hurdles. This game is one of the biggest disappointments of the generation, especially with so many other franchises being successfully brought forward.

With licensing problems, I didn't expect to see the other MvC games showing up any time soon so I guess that rubs salt in the wound. The larger issue is the lack of support for a fighting game that should've been a headliner at tourneys for years to come.

Did Dragon Ball Fighter Z spirit-bomb the franchise out of existence?

TacosNSalsa

Not having the X-Men absolutely gutted this game . I'm sure it had other problems but the talk around the FGC when it released the X-men was the main focus ..and the graphics to a lesser extent

Not having the X-Men absolutely gutted this game . I'm sure it had other problems but the talk around the FGC when it released the X-men was the main focus ..and the graphics to a lesser extent
I read a lot of theories/"leaks" from the MvC community prior to launch insisting that the X-Men were on their way, it was only a matter of time. These theories persisted even after launch.

I don't know if there was substance to it or if it was an overblown case of wishful thinking, but it was frustrating for all the fans in either case.

iconmaster

Banned
I don't think there's any hope, no. It just doesn't seem to be the type of game that interests today's Marvel, and Capcom needs them fully on board to make it work.

Capcom could move forward with the series using its own characters exclusively, if they wish.

TacosNSalsa

I read a lot of theories/"leaks" from the MvC community prior to launch insisting that the X-Men were on their way, it was only a matter of time. These theories persisted even after launch.

I don't know if there was substance to it or if it was an overblown case of wishful thinking, but it was frustrating for all the fans in either case.
I have no doubt that Combofiend worked his a$$ off to get them in, he was a huge fan of them but alas it didn't happen . Those rumors that we heard I believe came from even more extreme than wishful thinking more like , "There is NO WAY in f*cking hell they aren't going to be in!" type thing . I remember people saying that the game will bomb if they weren't in ...I wouldn't say that it was the sole cause but it surely didn't help matters at all

And to answer the OP ; no I don't think there is any hope for the game . Outside of maybe a few side games at big tournaments or Max pulling it out every once in a while I think it's dead at least from a tournament perspective . Sure you can find games online easily enough . Also I really don't think DBZ had much to do with it either ...Capcom did just fine on wiping it out on their own

I have no doubt that Combofiend worked his a$$ off to get them in, he was a huge fan of them but alas it didn't happen . Those rumors that we heard I believe came from even more extreme than wishful thinking more like , "There is NO WAY in f*cking hell they aren't going to be in!" type thing . I remember people saying that the game will bomb if they weren't in ...I wouldn't say that it was the sole cause but it surely didn't help matters at all
Yes! I remember the same, and that's a good way of describing the attitude. It was simply too ridiculous to think the X-Men wouldn't be included, and once it was confirmed they weren't included at launch, it only made it so much more obvious (in their minds) that they would be included as DLC.

Bargaining stage of coping with loss, I guess.

And to answer the OP ; no I don't think there is any hope for the game . Outside of maybe a few side games at big tournaments or Max pulling it out every once in a while I think it's dead at least from a tournament perspective . Sure you can find games online easily enough . Also I really don't think DBZ had much to do with it either ...Capcom did just fine on wiping it out on their own
Sad, but I can't really disagree, either.

Nymphae

Banned
There were rumours a few months back from FilipinoChamp teasing MvC4. I fully expect another one, I see no reason why it can't come back into prominence, it's fucking Marvel. One bad game doesn't destroy a franchise, and by all accounts MvC:I played very well.

There were rumours a few months back from FilipinoChamp teasing MvC4. I fully expect another one, I see no reason why it can't come back into prominence, it's fucking Marvel. One bad game doesn't destroy a franchise, and by all accounts MvC:I played very well.
I enjoy it every time I play it. I'm definitely happy with my purchase except for the complete drop-off in support for the game from CAPCOM.

It needs to go away for a while. With that said, please bring back Capcom vs SNK.
Now would be a great time for that. :pie_smiling_hearts:

Hinedorf

Banned
My opinion is that the series went to shit the moment they went for a cash grab on MVC3 and brought out UMVC3 IN THE SAME FUCKING YEAR is when I began questioning Capcom's morality to one of my most beloved franchises.

I do believe there was one further time after this that I felt Capcom had burned me but I've forgotten because I don't buy their games anymore.

Last edited:
My opinion is that the series went to shit the moment they went for a cash grab on MVC3 and brought out UMVC3 IN THE SAME FUCKING YEAR is when I began questioning Capcom's morality to one of my most beloved franchises.

I do believe there was one further time after this that I felt Capcom had burned me but I've forgotten because I don't buy their games anymore.
Looking back, I can see CAPCOM's logic, and for some context I waited and bought Ultimate, so I never felt "burned" by that move.

Consider the genre.

A fighting game still needs to have some kind of tournament presence to be successful, unless you're a NetherRealms fighter. CAPCOM allowed the scene to grow with the complete roster fairly soon after the original launch. And the fans definitely wanted more characters, right?

What would've been the point of holding out another 12 months to release those characters? It would've only delayed the developing meta for no real reason.

Nowadays, fighting game companies release a handful of new characters in the first season, and then another handful the next year, and so forth. CAPCOM basically gave everyone a beefy "season pass" edition after the launch of Two Worlds.

Scummy move, but it's a scummy genre and it always has been. CAPCOM has pulled this stuff since the beginning.

A.Romero

At this point I'd prefer Marvel comissioning a Marvel fighting game to Arcsys.

I know we would miss characters like Megaman and Ryu but fuck it. I prefer something like DBZ. Infinite was such a dissapointment that I have barely played it.

Ever since Mvs.C3, Capcom has changed the identity of the first to MVC games along with the predecessor titles, and it's just no longer interesting and continues to become worse every entry. It's time for Capcom to move on, or at least take an extended break.

Probably not. By all accounts it wasn't easy to get MvCI made in the first place and it cratered. Getting another made anytime soon seems pretty bleak and I don't know if Marvel would even grant them the licence to make another after that now.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2 first please.

Dunno why people are crying about no X-Men when there's worse things about Infinite like the visual style or how it was a vehicle to shill the MCU.

MvC4 with Capcom making ALL the picks from both sides including whoever is producing the project to get their favourite in like Niitsuma did with Hsien-Ko. (Even if she was bad.)

Geki-D

Banned
Blame Marvel and Disney for their greedy licensing philosophy.
Pretty much this. Disney has killed this franchise by wanting to make it a vehicle to promote whatever new movies they're releasing at the time. I guess there might be hope if the MCU has ended and Disney now own X-Men (for it to work they pretty much would have to not care for the MCU anymore), but with the last one being a failure Capcom might not be willing to try another.

thisiskupo

Neo Member
To be honest, as much as I would love to have another MVC at this point I'm not sure if I want it from the current Capcom fighting game division.
Even if you like SFV, that launch was terrible and outsourcing a lot of the game assets like characters didn't help at all. We ended up with characters that look okay to characters that look absolutely horrible. Same thing happened with MVCI but to a much larger scale. With a lot of people leaving Capcom in the meantime like NeoG, which contributed a lot to MVC3, he designed Dante's gameplay for example. I'm not sure if Capcom can make a quality FG any time soon. They still have their amazing artists (Daigo Ikeno, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Bengus) but for some reason, except for Bengus in some SFV aspects like arcade mode art, they weren't used for these 2 games.

If they're going to make another one of these, personally I would prefer if they didn't make anything at this point, unfortunately...
MVCI was a bad FG for many reasons, the "good" ideas it had were underneath a pile of mistakes that made it hard to appreciate.
Not to mention some of them were poorly implemented even though they were good ideas. The roster was a big deal but it was one of many things that made it what it was.

We might get something at EVO and who knows, Capcom might make a really good showing with their new FG. However, it's all wishful thinking at this point.
After what happened with MVCI I would be surprised if Marvel wanted anything else with that franchise but we'll see.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If not they could do Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2, I'm up for that. Get a DBFZ/Xrd-like visual style but keep their silky smooth animations and go nuts, make it a leap as big as going from MvC to MvC2 in terms of roster and stuff!

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I think they should release the first 2 games in a bundle with online play, sort of update it the way they did Third Strike for PS3.

It wasn't just a lack of characters that killed MVC:I it was the way Capcom handled it in general. The gameplay wasn't bad and the graphics could have been fixed but they just up and dropped the game rather then fix it like they (sort of) have with SF:V.

Capcom should really just create a "Capcom VS" game so they can avoid all the licencing bullshit

I think a new MvC is a little too soon. Infinite didn't hurt the Marvel brand of course but it didn't do wonders for the Capcom brand. Personally I would like to see a Capcom Allstars type game. I think their roster of characters is just as good as Nintendo's.

Salvatron

I think a new MvC is a little too soon. Infinite didn't hurt the Marvel brand of course but it didn't do wonders for the Capcom brand. Personally I would like to see a Capcom Allstars type game. I think their roster of characters is just as good as Nintendo's.

I'd be down for this.
Or maybe some kind of mega cross up with an insane roster; Capcom X ATLUS X Nippon Ichi

I feel like after Infinite and with Disney helming Marvel, chances aren't great.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No hope for Infinite of course, but for the franchise, sure. Marvel is insanely popular, as are a lot of Capcom fighters. They just need to stronger effort the next time around. Better roster, much better graphics and character models etc. I'd give it a few years for the stink of Infinite to abate before trying though. Try it a few years into next gen and put it out around an Avenger's sequel.

Nymphae

Banned
Personally I would like to see a Capcom Allstars type game. I think their roster of characters is just as good as Nintendo's.

On one of the last few Eventhubs podcasts, one of the dudes who seems to have some sort of Capcom informant mentioned that this was in the works before development of MvC:I had begun, and then the project turned into that instead. Bit of a bummer if true, I'd like to see that type of game as well.

Geki-D

Banned
Has anyone else already pointed out that it's pretty funny the MVC game called "Infinite" is actually the one that died out the fastest. Meaning it was, in fact, very "finite"?

Vitacat

Sad. I played Infinite a little a few months ago and it's got some good bones, but it never got past being a skeleton.

Last edited:
I just wish Capcom could just negotiate the licences to release the old MvC games, and Marvel Superheroes and Xmen: Children of the Atom.

On one of the last few Eventhubs podcasts, one of the dudes who seems to have some sort of Capcom informant mentioned that this was in the works before development of MvC:I had begun, and then the project turned into that instead. Bit of a bummer if true, I'd like to see that type of game as well.

Damn that would be a bummer. I remember hearing rumors of Falcon from Power Stone being in MVC Infinite not long after the game was announced. Maybe that's where those rumors came from. Or probably just wishful thinking.

theclaw135

Banned
MvC2 had misguided concepts the series never really recovered from. The presentation suffered in order to fit more characters.
Then of course MvC3 totally changed the game's tone/artistry.

Internal disagreements could be to blame as well. Capcom USA has the copyrights to some of the roster.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I gladly bought and played MvC 1, 2, 3, and 3 Ultimate but I skipped this one. It just looked bad to me from the get go and I've never even played it. There's no chance of Capcom reviving it and I agree with other that the lack of Xmen really hurt as many of those characters were staples of the series.

16bitjeff

Neo Member
Instead of a MvC 4 or Street Fighter VI, personally would like to see those shelved for the time being & instead see Capcom revive these Fighting Game IPs instead:

- Capcom vs SNK

- Darkstalkers (would honestly love to see a collaboration between ASW &Capcom for this one)

- Rival Schools

- Capcom All-Stars

If, IF Capcom has to do another Street Fighter for next-gen:

Street Fighter EX (seriously Arika needs more love)

Street Fighter Alpha

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

The thing is that if MvC4 would get announced would capcom have more control over the roster an it not being a who is up and coming in the MCU. I want capcom to have more freedom but currently Disney won’t let that happen, because outside of the roster and art style mvci was really fun it’s actually my favorite fighter this gen in terms of gameplay, I think we need another MvC game and I think current capcom can make it good.

I want Marvel only.

Best case scenario for me would be a Power Stone reboot with a Marvel skin.

Marvel: Infinity Stones

Honestly, it's a really fun trash game. Campaign is a bit savage but manageable, I enjoyed my time with it last year on GameCube.

It was getting a sequel too but that got cancelled back in the day unfortunately so it would have fixed the problems.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Marvel vs Capcom

Special Guest heroine character in Playstation

db0ckt9-11e54ff4-8271-4253-b38c-4d8cdf07a927.gif

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Id honestly rather see Capcom vs anyone else

Capcom vs SNK3 more likely no that theve moved into 3d i guess

Capcom vs Konami would be a dream but..i mean............Konami gonna konami

Top Bottom