• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any truth to this PSP info?

WordofGod

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray & Co. paints an even gloomier picture for the PSP's launch ambitions. In a report released today, the securities firm expects the handheld "to launch later than the current March 2005 expectation. First, Sony is usually late with most product introductions… and we are hearing that the platform has other issues such as thermal problems (transistors are running very hot) and a very short battery life (90 minutes) that will almost certainly delay the launch." All this points to a November 2005 launch in the US (possibly alongside the next Xbox system), the report concludes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought it was running on battery power at TGS?

Also, I hope it is delayed somewhat, as I'd like to experience the Japanese launch for myself (though, based on sales these days, it probably won't be very big)...

jarrod

Banned
Holy crap... that'd really be worst case scenario. Kutaragi and friends need to get off their asses and announce a solid date/price already.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I believe this news.

Chittagong

Gold Member
dark10x said:
I thought it was running on battery power at TGS?

That would be correct, and some battery it was:

tgs_1965.jpg

additionally, there was no UMD in the unit pictured.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So, I guess IGN reports where they played PSP for an hour without losing a bar in the battery life indicator, and actually seing people inserting and removing UMD from the device, are quickly forgotten?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Marconelly said:
So, I guess IGN reports where they played PSP for an hour without losing a bar in the battery life indicator, and actually seing people inserting and removing UMD from the device, are quickly forgotten?

It was also reported that units with UMD drives existed. However, the ones like the one pictured, didn't have one. The indicator issue has been discussed, with three schools of thought:

1 - The indicator was genuine and PSP has great battery life
2 - The indicator was genuine but usually battery indicators drop first slower, towards the end faster
3 - The indicator was placeholder and/or fake

Too bad nobody had the time to follow the maximum time one of those chicks hanged out in the booth before leaving, that would have given us the minimum battery life (although with huge ass battery and no UMD, but it still would have been something).

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
G4 TechTv reported last night that the PSP was slated for an "autumn" release in Western markets.

If I remember correctly, they interviewed a Sony executive who was quoted as saying "autumn", in their TGS coverage. I can't remember his name, VP of something or other.

They were as surprised as I was, and thought that he may have translated his season's wrong or something. Take it for what you will.

jarrod

Banned
On the bright side, a delay to next fall would ensure a pretty healthy launch lineup... and maybe it'd allow manufacturing to bring down the MSRP too. On the other hand, XENON. :/

Chittagong

Gold Member
xsarien said:
They didn't say "autumn" of what year.

ZING

Heh, reminds me of the Aonuma lecture at GDC this March.

"Four Swords Adventures - 2004"
"Wind Waker 2 - 20XX"

now that is commitment.

Ranger X

rumors rumors rumors...
It may well be possible. It's not because of the lack of ready games that the PSP was already pushed back and this is for sure. I woudn't be surprise of another delay since so many people fear it's battery life.

Phoenix

jarrod said:
On the bright side, a delay to next fall would ensure a pretty healthy launch lineup... and maybe it'd allow manufacturing to bring down the MSRP too. On the other hand, XENON. :/

Why would Xenon have any impact on Sony launching the PSP? They don't compete against one another.

jarrod

Banned
Phoenix said:
Why would Xenon have any impact on Sony launching the PSP? They don't compete against one another.
If consumers can choose between a $299 PSP or a $299 Xenon, they'll be compared. Direct competition or not.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Let's put our thinking caps on, shall we...

For one, the 2 hour figure came form Sony, so you know it was somewhat inflated or rounded out. I immediately thought to myself... 'Selling movies is a potentially major revenue stream for Sony. But the battery life or lack there of is not at all conducive to movie playback at all.'

The timing of the info is suspect as well. How come this sh!t is just now coming up?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That better be a freaking good 90 minutes.

Forsete

Marconelly said:

Yep I know.

must..find..fault..cracks..anything..shiny..surface..must..be..destroyed.

Battery life won't be an issue. The thing will get so hot that you'll have to turn it off every five minutes or risk second degree burns. You can recharge while it cools off.

DOOOOOOOMED.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Battery life won't be an issue. The thing will get so hot that you'll have to turn it off every five minutes or risk second degree burns. You can recharge while it cools off.
Yup.
The only reason demo units weren't overheating is because they were just empty shells and the images on screen were telekinetically projected by the fembots Sony attached them to.

Fafalada said:
Yup.
The only reason demo units weren't overheating is because they were just empty shells and the images on screen were telekinetically projected by the fembots Sony attached them to.

You simpleton.... The fembots were the PSPs!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
refreshZ said:
tgs_1965.jpg

Holy Shiznit... that's the battery?? I hope she attaches to my wrist just like Unky Sony promised... :D

Man...I'd tap into that battery all day. :eek:

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Each girl had two demo units. After each one was used by a player for about 10 minutes, it was switched off and holstered, the second one being brought out for the next play. The games were running from flash card, but the unit was still quite warm.

An overheating issue would explain why the girls had two units and were cycling i guess.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It wouldn't explain how the units played for one hour by IGN people weren't overheating.

although with huge ass battery and no UMD, but it still would have been something
What huge ass battery? Those units were running on their own batteries, the attached cable was some kind of anti theft protection.

Shoryuken

Marconelly said:
What huge ass battery? Those units were running on their own batteries, the attached cable was some kind of anti theft protection.

Look again. There's the cable you're talking about and a separate black cable.

DCharlie said:
Each girl had two demo units. After each one was used by a player for about 10 minutes, it was switched off and holstered, the second one being brought out for the next play. The games were running from flash card, but the unit was still quite warm.

An overheating issue would explain why the girls had two units and were cycling i guess.
man, i really hope you just made this up, cuz that sounds really bad...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Look again. There's the cable you're talking about and a separate black cable.
I'm looking again, and seeing that separate black cable is going into the headphones, that she has attached to her waist, and that's pretty much what the hands-on reports said.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"man, i really hope you just made this up, cuz that sounds really bad..."

i believe jonnyram and a few other guys noticed the same.

novery

DCharlie said:
"man, i really hope you just made this up, cuz that sounds really bad..."

i believe jonnyram and a few other guys noticed the same.

I noticed this as well. They had to swap units before I was allowed to play Coded Arms.

-rp

Jonnyram

When I played Lumines on the battery-powered unit it was noticeably warm. This was the second thing I played on Friday (around 11am) so it was still early. I played a wall unit later and there were no heating problems.

Culex

Banned
Jonnyram said:
When I played Lumines on the battery-powered unit it was noticeably warm. This was the second thing I played on Friday (around 11am) so it was still early. I played a wall unit later and there were no heating problems.

Then entire unit was warm, or the area where the battery is housed?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There were also about a hundred girls working the floor with the PSPs, although you never actually saw anywhere near that many on the floor simultaneously. You have to factor in shifts and breaktime, of course, but that many people hired to do that indicates that rotations from the floor to the backstage recharge stations must have been fairly rapid.

Top Bottom