• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Winning Eleven 8 going to be on XBL?

Socreges

Banned
KarishBHR said:
I thought those two games were one in the same
Pretty much, but it just makes more sense to say PES4. Which will be in English and with a few tweaks.

To answer your question, probably not. But nothing's been said.

That doesn't mean you need to relegate yourself to a wildly inferior game, though.

jarrod

Banned
KarishBHR said:
I thought those two games were one in the same
More or less... there's often enough enhancements between them to consider them different installments/versions though... usually goes like this...

-World Soccer Winning Eleven (JP)
-J-League Winning Eleven (JP)
-Pro Evolution Soccer (EU)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven: Final Evolution (JP)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven (NA)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven International (JP)

...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if KCET's doing the Final Evo versions anymore or not, or the J-League versions?

Fowler

Looks like they're not doing Final Evolutions anymore -- last year they rolled FE and International into one update (WE7I). And I don't think they do J•League anymore. But there's also Winning Eleven Tactics now :p

Socreges

Banned
IIRC, Konami has said something to the effect of:

"We wanted to include online play in WE8, but could not. It will be in the next version (either WE8IJ or WE9)."

Though I may have dreamt that.

And Deepthroat, not everyone can organize a WE/PES get together. Selfish bastard.

Looks like it must have been a good time, though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"We wanted to include online play in WE8, but could not. It will be in the next version (either WE8IJ or WE9)."

they are lying bastards.

When WE7 came out it had "ONLINE TAISEN!!!!" Fully online battle mode!! slapped on inital blurb...

and what was it?

uploading your scores on the training levels.... BOOOOOOOOOO.

Meier

Can you really blame them? The game sells a million copies, online or otherwise, in Japan. The potential for added sales is most likely not large enough to cover the server costs incurred, nor dealing with making sure it all runs smoothly, etc. etc. EA doesnt include online in their European titles that I know of, so competing with FIFA being online there wont be an issue either. Monetarily, it just doesn't make any sense for them to add it.

Socreges

Banned
DCharlie said:

they are lying bastards.

When WE7 came out it had "ONLINE TAISEN!!!!" Fully online battle mode!! slapped on inital blurb...

and what was it?

uploading your scores on the training levels.... BOOOOOOOOOO.
Eh. That was ambiguous. This was more direct.
Meier said:
Can you really blame them? The game sells a million copies, online or otherwise, in Japan. The potential for added sales is most likely not large enough to cover the server costs incurred, nor dealing with making sure it all runs smoothly, etc. etc. EA doesnt include online in their European titles that I know of, so competing with FIFA being online there wont be an issue either. Monetarily, it just doesn't make any sense for them to add it.
Adding online and taking an initial hit would probably be worth the long-term investment, though. There are two ways of looking at it.

B E N K E

Unless Seabass was lying to my face last year online is something he really wants to achieve and has worked hard on. However, he said he wanted onlineplay for 22 players and a player controlled referee (!!!). He said he thought it was possible on PS2. Hopefully I will meet the team again prior to the PES4 release and I'll be able to get some answers about online.

Meier

DCharlie said:
um... the last Fifa was online, and so is the next one as far as i'm aware.

Ahh okay -- I guess it's just some of their games they dont include the online play in in Europe. Hell, if PES is still selling well while it doesnt have online play and FIFA does, it just further illustrates the fact it isnt needed to compete.

The market in Japan especially for games is very fixed -- the people who buy WE8 will be the ones who bought WE7 and WE6. See Samurai Warriors for example where even though it focused on Japanese history which would seemingly make it more popular (and cause DCharlie to guess 2 million in sales), it sold a similar number to DW3 and 4 (in fact a bit less).

Nobody knows, but everything seems to point to a big NO.

Btw, having Live I've never used XBC, so far, and thus I've no idea how it works (it assumes there's a local network, I guess?). Would that allow to play online through PES?

Socreges

Banned
Meier said:
Ahh okay -- I guess it's just some of their games they dont include the online play in in Europe. Hell, if PES is still selling well while it doesnt have online play and FIFA does, it just further illustrates the fact it isnt needed to compete.

The market in Japan especially for games is very fixed -- the people who buy WE8 will be the ones who bought WE7 and WE6. See Samurai Warriors for example where even though it focused on Japanese history which would seemingly make it more popular (and cause DCharlie to guess 2 million in sales), it sold a similar number to DW3 and 4 (in fact a bit less).
You've got it all figured out!

First off, the Winning Eleven series has increased in sales with each major version on the PS2. Online play may help it expand to more gamers. But that's not even all that important. For a team genuinely concerned with significantly improving the franchise each year, KCET *will* include online play, even if it costs them more to produce. The fact that it would be a significant addition and make the game more valuable to the returning fans is reason enough. As they stride closer to perfection, the gap will narrow and they will otherwise struggle for ways to improve the game.

Fowler

You know, WE on XSN would be enough for me to ditch the PS2 versions for the Xbox (even with the lack of imported names and god-awful controller). Seriously, it'd so rock.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"See Samurai Warriors for example where even though it focused on Japanese history which would seemingly make it more popular (and cause DCharlie to guess 2 million in sales), it sold a similar number to DW3 and 4 (in fact a bit less)."

hey, it's at around 1.2 million last time i looked! ;)
only another 800k to go! :)

(actually i see there is YET ANOTHER Sengoku Musou coming out....)

I think they killed sales themselves somewhat by stacking Empires real close to it.

Top Bottom