• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli PM Netanyahu backs pardon for soldier convicted of manslaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBL

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for a pardon for a soldier convicted of manslaughter for killing a wounded Palestinian.

Elor Azaria, 19 at the time, shot Abdul Fatah al-Sharif, 21, in the head while he was lying immobile on a road.

A military court convicted the soldier after dismissing his assertion that the Palestinian still posed a danger.

The case has divided Israeli opinion. Azaria, a sergeant, will be sentenced next Sunday, Israel's military says.

There have been rallies to support the soldier, but top military figures say his actions do not reflect the values of the Israel Defence Forces (IDF).

Mr Netanyahu issued his call on Facebook, writing: "I support giving Elor Azaria a pardon."

"This is a difficult and painful day for all of us - and first and foremost for Elor and his family, soldiers and for the parents of our soldiers, and me among them."

TThe incident took place in Hebron in the occupied West Bank on 24 March.

Sharif and another 21-year-old Palestinian, Ramzi Aziz al-Qasrawi, stabbed and wounded an Israeli soldier before troops opened fire on them, wounding Sharif and killing Qasrawi.

Footage of the scene several minutes later, filmed by a Palestinian and released by the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem, shows Sharif alive, wounded and now unarmed.

A soldier, identified as Azaria, is then seen cocking his rifle and fatally shooting Sharif in the head from several metres away.

In their indictment, prosecutors said Azaria "violated the rules of engagement without operational justification as the terrorist was lying on the ground wounded and represented no immediate threat for the accused or others who were present".

Delivering the verdict on Wednesday, the panel of three military judges rejected Azaria's defence that he shot Sharif because he continued to pose a threat.

He had told the court that he believed there might be a suicide belt under the Palestinian's jacket.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middl...social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Is it even surprising that he calls for a pardon at this point? the lack of respect for the victim or any form of morality is disgusting.

Guevara

"This is a difficult and painful day for all of us - and first and foremost for Elor and his family, soldiers and for the parents of our soldiers, and me among them."​

Wow...

Probably a difficult day for that dead guy's family, but whatever.

"This is a difficult and painful day for all of us - and first and foremost for Elor and his family, soldiers and for the parents of our soldiers, and me among them."

Yes, it's extremely difficult for the family of a murderer to see their son convicted of the crime he committed.

The intelligence/military arm of Israel disagreeing with him continues to show Netanyahu as an ass.

I hope those corruption charges force him to step down.

Goliath

"This is a difficult and painful day for all of us - and first and foremost for Elor and his family, soldiers and for the parents of our soldiers, and me among them."​

Wow...

Probably a difficult day for that dead guy's family, but whatever.

The dead guy stabbed a soldier in an attempt to kill as many people before he went down. I am not sure his execution while he was on the floor was right but I am also not shedding any tears.

jelly

It's hard for people to separate the crime from the crime. You can't just go around killing disarmed bad people after apprehending them. He made a serious error and should do time for the crime. I'm sure he will be out in short time and get a cushy gig of some form eventually. The courts made the right decesion, even in war you have to have some boundaries no matter how bad the other side is.

Bibi isn't even trying to hide his slime anymore.

Bought and sold by the orthodoxy and completely without morals.

Awful human being.

Jezbollah

The dead guy stabbed a soldier in an attempt to kill as many people before he went down. I am not sure his execution while he was on the floor was right but I am also not shedding any tears.

You should be sure. Regardless of what the victim did, he was entitled to a trial by jury and to face whatever sentence they deemed suitable.

This soldier denied this process, and basically took the law upon himself and performed an execution.

I am pro-Israel, but fuck Netanyahu. Dude has done NOTHING but spit on the legacy of previous Israeli leadership that actually was putting in the hard work towards peace with Palestine.

Espada

I am pro-Israel, but fuck Netanyahu. Dude has done NOTHING but spit on the legacy of previous Israeli leadership that actually was putting in the hard work towards peace with Palestine.

Ehh, I'd say Netanyahu is actually exposing Israel's true stance on various issues. None of what he does is surprising in the context of the conflict and the years of international condemnation.

So to see him do this is par for the course. Of course the man would sympathize more with the soldier than the Palestinian he killed.

People who attack military targets are "terrorists" now.

The Hebrew word most used for terrorist is the same as saboteur, or destroyer rather than how English handles the connotations of spreading terror.

Terrorism is regarded not the same way as "to terrorize" but in an existential way to "eliminate or undermine" the state.

Leyasu

Banned
Bibi and his whole cabinet should be arrested and tried for crimes against humanity. Vile cunt at the head of a vile regime that can do anything it wants because America are their bitches. Trump is going to embolden them even more.

Are Palestinians even considered humans any more in their country?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

I'm also not shedding any tears for the bastard (wounded attacker), but what the sergeant did is a crime. Once the aggressor is immobilized, you don't then become executioner as well.

Horns

One day in the near future the US will cut off funding to Israel and it will be because of assholes like Netanyahu.

Listened to this extensively on NPR today. They had a lot of interesting guests. It's so very clear though that it was a cold-blooded murder, regardless of the circumstances leading up to it. Obviously, the events should be taken into account on the severity of his sentencing. But the fact he got off with manslaughter and will likely receive a small sentence... or even gets pardoned just speaks to the apartheid-like climate in Israel currently.

What was terrifying though was the Women from I believe the IDF? I couldn't catch her position. But was very very much dismissing all the charges, trying to talk around the evidence and then talking about how a one state solution was needed (Aka annexing the West Bank) because essentially the Palestinians needed to be under Israeli "liberal" rule.

Ehh, I'd say Netanyahu is actually exposing Israel's true stance on various issues. None of what he does is surprising in the context of the conflict and the years of international condemnation.

So to see him do this is par for the course. Of course the man would sympathize more with the soldier than the Palestinian he killed.

If you actually look back at Israeli leadership previous to Netanyahu, you will see that it's a lot more complicated than "Israel are the bad guys".

For example, Yitzhak Rabin, Bill Clinton, and Yassir Arafat worked together to create the Oslo Occords which was a step towards Palestine being recognized as its own state.

The worst shit that Israel has done has been all under Netanyahu. I don't remember previous Israeli leadership literally announcing illegal settlements during EVERY single peace talk.

Heshinsi

Listened to this extensively on NPR today. They had a lot of interesting guests. It's so very clear though that it was a cold-blooded murder, regardless of the circumstances leading up to it. Obviously, the events should be taken into account on the severity of his sentencing. But the fact he got off with manslaughter and will likely receive a small sentence... or even gets pardoned just speaks to the apartheid-like nature of Israel currently.

What was terrifying though was the Women from I believe the IDF? I couldn't catch her position. But was very very much dismissing all the charges, trying to talk around the evidence and then talking about how a one state solution was needed (Aka annexing the West Bank) because essentially the Palestinians needed to be under Israeli "liberal" rule.

Well I mean that's better than perpetual statelessness right?

If you actually look back at Israeli leadership previous to Netanyahu, you will see that it's a lot more complicated than "Israel are the bad guys".

For example, Yitzhak Rabin, Bill Clinton, and Yassir Arafat worked together to create the Oslo Occords which was a step towards Palestine being recognized as its own state.

The worst shit that Israel has done has been all under Netanyahu. I don't remember previous Israeli leadership literally announcing illegal settlements during EVERY single peace talk.

If Rabin hadn't been assassinated the world would be such a better place. All the qualified and capable leaders seemingly get killed or die (including Arafat as well, and Ahmahd Shah Massoud) and end any chance of stability and change.

Leyasu

Banned
One day in the near future the US will cut off funding to Israel and it will be because of assholes like Netanyahu.

Unfortunately no. Because most of the US politicians are all bankrolled by by rich Israeli supporters in the States. Didn't the senate just vote too increase the aid given to them cunts?

If Rabin hadn't been assassinated the world would be such a better place. All the qualified and capable leaders seemingly get killed (including Arafat as well, and Ahmahd Shah Massoud) and end any chance of stability and change.

Well you can blame Amir and the asshole rabbi who called for Rabin's assassination.

But my point still stands that contrary to what I see many people here state, Netanyahu is not "business as usual with Israel". Before Netanyahu the Israeli leadership was actually working towards peace.

Well I mean that's better than perpetual statelessness right?

Yea... I suppose so. It's just the way she was talking that was so chilling. It was obviously incredibly pro-Israel. But more than that it was her seeming apathy towards Palestinians when she would talk about them.

As for a one or two state solution, I understand it's more complicated than just having a two-state solution as there are huge issues with what kind of people would take charge in that power vacuum. But given the history, I don't think that a one state solution is the right path. I don't think that would end well for the Palestinian people either.

knight123

Banned
Why are people referring to Abdul Fatah al-Sharif as a 'terrorist'?

Terrorism is targetting civilians or civilian infrastructure. He targeted armed soldiers who are occupying his own country. Hebron is in the West Bank. If he'd tried to stab shoppers in Tel Aviv then yeah that counts as terrorism. People are morally and legally entitled to resist occupation.
If Palestinian kids throwing stones are seen as 'legitimate targets' by Israel then heavily armed occupying forces guardian the illegal colonies in Hebron are definitely legitimate.

Heshinsi

Not without equal rights as citizens.

Yeah however, if there's a single state the narrative switches to one where Israel is treating its own citizens unjustly, rather than the, "at war with militants living in an occupied territory" angle it is now. Furthermore, sure things aren't 100% perfect for Israeli Arabs, but I'd say they are living a much better existence than almost all Palestinians living in the West bank and Gaza.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Let's gloss over the fact that the soldier was actively involved in the occupation of a Palestinian city.

The extra judicial execution was wrong in pretty much every way. The perpetrator was injured and disarmed and no longer a threat to anyone. He was killed out of bloodlust.

Glix

Bibi and his whole cabinet should be arrested and tried for crimes against humanity. Vile cunt at the head of a vile regime that can do anything it wants because America are their bitches. Trump is going to embolden them even more.

Are Palestinians even considered humans any more in their country?

I mean... there are Palestinians in the Knesset.

But yeah. Not even considered human. Uh huh.

Edit - additionally, as an American jew who has spoken to many other jews about this stuff, I will just say the feeling of "They tried to wipe us off the face of the earth and y'all sat there and did fucking nothing (in reference to both the Germans and then after, the Arabs)" dies really really hard in these people. They don't give a shit about the judgement of people who don't give a shit about the jews.

Yeah however, if there's a single state the narrative switches to one where Israel is treating its own citizens unjustly, rather than the, "at war with militants living in an occupied territory" angle it is now. Furthermore, sure things aren't 100% perfect for Israeli Arabs, but I'd say they are living a much better existence than almost all Palestinians living in the West bank and Gaza.

It sounds good until you realize that as soon as Netanyahu gets all of Palestine, he's gonna start deporting every Arab that doesn't kiss his ass.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Yeah, basically. I don't feel bad for either party involved here. One went on an attempted murder spree and failed, and the other shot him down and then killed him after immobilizing him.

Manslaughter charge should stick and he needs to serve time for being a dickhole. Netenyahu needs to stay out of the way.

Braag

Whenever Netanyahu appears in the news I know what I'm about to read will make me sick to my stomach.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Why are people referring to Abdul Fatah al-Sharif as a 'terrorist'?

Terrorism is targetting civilians or civilian infrastructure. He targeted armed soldiers who are occupying his own country. Hebron is in the West Bank. If he'd tried to stab shoppers in Tel Aviv then yeah that counts as terrorism. People are morally and legally entitled to resist occupation.
If Palestinian kids throwing stones are seen as 'legitimate targets' by Israel then heavily armed occupying forces guardian the illegal colonies in Hebron are definitely legitimate.
People are morally and legally entitled to go around stabbing people, even if they are soldiers?

Dude Abides

Banned
People are morally and legally entitled to go around stabbing people, even if they are soldiers?

It's generally considered morally and legally permissible to used armed force against the occupying army, yes.

Not by the occupier and its apologists, of course, but by everyone else.

knight123

Banned

Yes! Both in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

If your country was under a brutal occupation and colonisation spanning several decades would you really object if people in your country started attacking soldiers?

It's generally considered morally and legally permissible to used armed force against the occupying army, yes.

Not by the occupier and its apologists, of course, but by everyone else.

This logic in israel's case with a mandatory draft would basically excuse terrorism on all adult non-religious males. 20-25ish.

Also perfidy is a war crime.

Article 37. – Prohibition of perfidy
1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The following acts are examples of perfidy:
(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;
(b) The feigning of an incapacitation by wounds or sickness;
(c) The feigning of civilian, non-combatant status; and
(d) The feigning of protected status by the use of signs, emblems or uniforms of the United Nations or of neutral or other States not Parties to the conflict.
2. Ruses of war are not prohibited. Such ruses are acts which are intended to mislead an adversary or to induce him to act recklessly but which infringe no rule of international law applicable in armed conflict and which are not perfidious because they do not invite the confidence of an adversary with respect to protection under that law. The following are examples of such ruses: the use of camouflage, decoys, mock operations and misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom