• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Istuno leaves Capcom after 30 years

zapper

devil-may-cry-dmc.gif

man, i think we'll never see dmc again, or we'll see it in ninja theory style.

who knows where he will go, i guess he will follow nagoshi...?

Last edited:
Oh wtf…That kills any potential Dragons Dogma 3 or Devil May Cry 6….Thats genuinely sad, if they do anything with DMC its gonna end up like that trash Ninja Theory abortion…Ugh
Well DMC is dead in any case at this point. Probably will revived as a remake or reboot in the future.

Oh wtf…That kills any potential Dragons Dogma 3 or Devil May Cry 6….Thats genuinely sad, if they do anything with DMC its gonna end up like that trash Ninja Theory abortion…Ugh

DMC will continue, it's too big but it may take time to find someone to lead a development team.

near

Gold Member
So you have M-Two founded and run by Tatsuya Minami a former Capcom veteran who left PlatinumGames and a recent project of theirs was REmake3. You have Kamiya the legend who is unemployed. Mikami just started he's own studio. And now Itsuno is unemployed. They'd be stronger all together under one roof.

So Capcom going downside from now on...
It was a great Company indeed
Capcom is a factory that nurtures talent, they'll be fine.

near

Gold Member
he isn't, he is already working on a new project with another publisher

However, Capcom has lost several key figures in recent years, Suzuki, Itsuno and Endo, I hope they have reliable replacements
I say unemployed because a new environment doesn't necessarily mean he has been hired by another studio. He could just be setting up he's own independent studio, like a lot of he's former counterparts. It will be interesting to see what he does either way once a formal announcement is made.

I think Capcom will be fine - Resident Evil has been successfully revived, Street Fighter too. Capcom knows how to nurture the talent.

SkylineRKR

I love Dragons Dogma 2 but it also feels like a regression in so many parts. And this while DD1 wasn't even considered finished. We're never see the 'true' Dragons Dogma I'm afraid.

DMCV was a hit wasn't it? I hope Capcom continues it. A remake is fine as well. First game had best atmosphere anyway.

PSlayer

The timing is sus since Dragon's Dogma 2 simply vanished from discussions after launch. I hope Capcom doesn't kill the franchise and DMC again.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That's sad, but nothing is forever I guess. Good luck to him and thanks for everything.
I wonder if we'll get the expansion for DD2 now...:pie_thinking:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh boy. Capcom said they were happy with DD2's sales, so maybe this is more him retiring on his own after having to release another half-finished game because of the end of the fiscal year? In any case, I hope he gets to develop something cool in the future. I also wonder what would Capcom do with DMC and DD now, either give them to some other director or let them be forgotten while turning into a Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter machine.

That's sad, but nothing is forever I guess. Good luck to him and thanks for everything.
I wonder if we'll get the expansion for DD2 now...:pie_thinking:
The expasion for DD1 was developed by a different team, no? Between that and Capcom saying DD is a core franchise now, I'd expect for the franchise to keep existing while being developed by different people.

When I say "expect", it's more of a "hope". It would be a shame to let the franchise rot and be forgotten while joining the ranks of Megaman or Dino Crisis.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

man, end of an era, Hideaki Itsuno directed some of my favorite games i wish him all the luck in the world.

He already stated he didn't wanted to direct another Devil May Cry sequel after 5, so i knew a shakeup was happening since Capcom wouldn't let him or anyone else just make another IP

Devil May Cry should be fine as long as its developed in house and people accept its being directed by someone else,im sure Capcom has enough talent to fill for Itsuno , DMC5 was already the end of the 'story' and the game he wanted to make

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Dr_Salt

Banned
So you have M-Two founded and run by Tatsuya Minami a former Capcom veteran who left PlatinumGames and a recent project of theirs was REmake3. You have Kamiya the legend who is unemployed. Mikami just started he's own studio. And now Itsuno is unemployed. They'd be stronger all together under one roof.
The initial plan was that Minami and Mikami were going to lead M-Two (that was the whole point of the name M Two meaning Minami & Mikami) but he couldn't join. I have a strong suspicion that Kamiya will join Mikami at Kamuy.

near

Gold Member
The initial plan was that Minami and Mikami were going to lead M-Two (that was the whole point of the name M Two meaning Minami & Mikami) but he couldn't join. I have a strong suspicion that Kamiya will join Mikami at Kamuy.
Yeah, I remember reading something to that effect a while back. I wonder why he didn't join up with them even after he left Tango?

[Sigma]

Welp there goes my dream of him making a fighting game again(like CVS3) but the guys over SF6 could technically handle that at the same time. I knew he was probably done with DMC, Capcom will find someone talented within if they haven't already found them. We'll see. Dang, Kamiya and now Itsuno, two of my favorite directors/creators are trying to revamp things. Im getting old;(. I'am old;(

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The expasion for DD1 was developed by a different team, no? Between that and Capcom saying DD is a core franchise now, I'd expect for the franchise to keep existing while being developed by different people.
Idr what team was responsible for DD1 expansion tbh. I do remember what they said about the future of DD, but who know what they'll do now after Itsuno's departure and who's going to be leading the team behind DMC and DD. Only time will tell.

When I say "expect", it's more of a "hope". It would be a shame to let the franchise rot and be forgotten while joining the ranks of Megaman or Dino Crisis.
Yeah, the hope is all we have.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Excluding Kojima has going solo worked for any other Japanese devs? Haven't several games flopped and didn't one guy wind up in jail for insider trading?

Astral Dog

AT least for me, itsuno is devil may cry.
Without him is useless to continue with the franchise.
Nah, thats like saying Resident Evil can't continue without Shinji Mikami

They can create something good as long as Capcom is willing, it won't be easy to fill Itsuno's shoes, but we shouldn't be so cynical , im sure they have a bunch of DMC veterans at Capcom who would like to make a new game

Fbh

Wish him the best in whatever he does next.
Feels a bit like an end of an era but It's also good to maybe give a chance to some newer talent to step up. Haven't played DD2 but from what I've read around here the consensus seems to be that it was pretty disappointing.
Personally I was really underwhelmed by DMC5 too, solid combat mechanics can only carry the game so far when the levels are boring and the enemy variety is lacking. To quote someone from a podcast I was listening to recently, the second half of that game basically looks like a colonoscopy.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Kinda ok with this. We got 4-ish good DMC games. 1 outstanding Dragons Dogma game and an excellent foundation for DD3. Itsuno’s limitations were really starting to show in DD2. The storytelling, the side quests, cutscenes and general presentation were WAY off of what we’ve come to expect from an action RPG over the 12 years it took the team to make it.

Hudo

Let him direct Final Fantasy 17.
I kinda wanna see Natsuko Ishikawa direct or at least be the lead writer for FF17, tbh. She was the Story Lead for Shadowbringers and Endwalker.
Or Yoko Taro. Let him direct a mainline FF.

Top Bottom