• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It has BEGUN! Amazon lists PlayStation 3

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/24/news_6105609.html

Amazon lists PlayStation 3
Retailer's Japanese arm posts product page for Sony's hotly anticipated game console.

While game console makers are still jockeying to beat each other to market with next-generation models, Sony achieved a dubious distinction recently by grabbing the first major retail notice for its upcoming machine.

The Japanese unit of online retail giant Amazon has posted a product page for the PlayStation 3, more than a year ahead of the console's expected debut.

The page has no photos or links for placing advance orders and appears to offer no significant new details on the console, which is expected to go on sale in late 2005 at the earliest. But that didn't stop several visitors from posting five-star reviews of the gadget.

Sony has slowly let details trickle out about the PlayStation 3 over the past year, confirming that the console will use the high-powered "Cell" processor--jointly developed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM--and Sony's next-generation Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony executives have also set broad target dates for the console, saying they'll have more details at a Japanese trade event in March and demonstration units at the E3 trade show in May. The company has yet to set a release date or price, and there are still no confirmed details, such as expected multimedia capabilities.

Rival console makers Microsoft and Nintendo are also working on next-generation consoles and hope to beat Sony to market. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer recently told CNET News.com that the company is hard at work on the next version of the Xbox, which he said he expects will outsell the PlayStation 3. Nintendo executives have made similar promises for its next console, code-named "Revolution."

Retailers have long tapped into the exuberance of hardcore gamers by taking orders for new hardware and games well in advance of their release. The Amazon PS3 page may set a record, however, for anticipatory retail zeal, rivaled only by an eBay auction offering supposedly exclusive details on how to get a prerelease version of the PS3.

sonycowboy said:
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer recently told CNET News.com that the company is hard at work on the next version of the Xbox, which he said he expects will outsell the PlayStation 3.

He must really like the taste of crow.

SuperPac

How long will it be before Amazon Japan is asked to pull the page... bets? :D Do they have a PSP page up? DS? They may as well start putting up preorder pages for PlayStation 4...I mean, just to get ahead of the game.

M3wThr33

Banned
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was questioned about the likelehood of succeeding in Japan. Ballmer replied that not only will they match Sony's sales, but they plan to sell 10 times as much as them. Ballmer said they have learned from their past issues, and plan to make the Xbox even more offensive, marketing it as "smaller than the Hiroshima-sized original" and offering console bundles including boxes of rice and noodles.

That's hardcore.

As for PS3, it is the schedule which loads CPU, Cell of 32bit. Because Cell is not in time, another CPU you use whether, with, former times was seen the air which does that you say but. Then, the quantity of bit fell, but whether PS2 compared to 遙 efficiency is high, is. Just a little, like the supercomputer before it probably will put out, is. The disk uses Blu-ray Disc. Capacity 5 times that DVD - 10 times is weak strongly the leprosy. By the way, it is network adapter built-in. This review becomes reference and increase is high?

YES

Fowler

I love how you can pre-order a PS3 on Amazon... but you can't pre-order Burnout 3 for Xbox (due out in what, two weeks?) or Splinter Cell 3.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
As for PS3, it is the schedule which loads CPU, Cell of 32bit. Because Cell is not in time, another CPU you use whether, with, former times was seen the air which does that you say but. Then, the quantity of bit fell, but whether PS2 compared to 遙 efficiency is high, is. Just a little, like the supercomputer before it probably will put out, is. The disk uses Blu-ray Disc. Capacity 5 times that DVD is strong? 10 times it is weak the leprosy. By the way, it is network adapter built-in.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
As for PS3 of this time, bit number goes down to about 250 bit from 500 bit or more of PS2, we would like to see. In addition, the semiconductor is used seems. As for SONY, investing several 10000000000, when it prepares the mass production system of the semiconductor, forcing. With PS3, certainly as for the network adapter building in, so is. Doing, when the quantity of bit decreases, with efficiency falling? Whether how it keeps developing also the cooperation with after and PSP it becomes matter of concern. As for sale, being quick, end of year of the next year, being slow, sale schedule we would like to see during 2006, is. The online game increasing, る now, perhaps, PS3 you put effort into the especially online, don't you think?. It does.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Yeah. The nerve of that guy. Why he wouldnt just come out say "we have no chance of outselling the PS3, but we're making another console anyway" is teh stupid...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really quick and dirty translation of the other 5 star review...forgive my mistakes! :p

限度を超えているというか、とうとうプレステも3作目が発売されます。
やっぱり専用ソフトもかなり増加するだろうし、新たな機能も追加されていると思います。
プレステ3の性能は、プレステ2の1000倍という情報も。
ゲームファン必見の一品です!!!

You say we've exceeded the limits?! The 3rd PlayStation is finally being sold! Of course there will be plenty of exclusive software as well as new functions, I think. Also, some information says that the PS3 will be 1000 times more powerful than the PS2! This is a must see item for game fans!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I was on the fence about the ps3. But then I read those translations, and I'm convinced that this will be the machine to own.

Top Bottom