• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's happening: House of the Dragon season 2 trailer

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Beaten like a ginger step child.

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
House of the Dragon was absurdly good. One of the best pleasant surprises in a while. After everyone being so down after how GOT ended, they managed to completely recapture the greatness and hype, which is not easy to do. I have no doubt season 2 is going to be great. Biggest reason? Unlike GOT, this doesn't have the problem of running out of source material!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The difference in quality between House of the Dragon and the Rings of Power was absurd. The IMDB scores (8.5 vs 7.0) don't reflect that huge gap. IMDB (which is an Amazon subsidiary) deleted all of the negative user reviews in order to prop up the rating of RoP.

Can't wait for HotD season 2, never finished RoP.

The difference in quality between House of the Dragon and the Rings of Power was absurd. The IMDB scores (8.5 vs 7.0) don't reflect that huge gap. IMDB (which is an Amazon subsidiary) deleted all of the negative user reviews in order to prop up the rating of RoP.

This should be illegal. No, literally. Government intervention and the threat of prison illegal. This is why anti trust needs to actually be a thing, instead of the play pretend nonsense that it has become.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Team Aemond and Vhagar 🐉

Television Flying GIF by Game of Thrones

Season 1 was unexpectedly one of the best seasons of TV I’ve ever seen. On par with S1-4 of GoT easily, possibly even better to be honest.

I pray that Season 2 retains the same quality.

Trilobit

I'm not a superfan of Game of Thrones like some on the interwebs, but I was very entertained by the show and therefore also watched House of the Dragon. It's a different kind of show and was not as entertaining, but okay I guess.

One thing that really pulled me out of my suspense of disbelief was everytime this character showed up:

are-velaryons-black-or-white-in-house-of-the-dragon-book-1.jpg

On my little knowledge of the lore I'd imagine that Valyrians should look like this:

8CC0D7FE8180E7F4660A982533385F899A5A67EC

Can someone explain how the HotD Valyrians have such a differing skin color? In the GoT show there are clearly different ethnicities depending on geographic locations, so In-Universe it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind having black characters, but it's as distracting as would be showing this in a Black Panther movie:

iu

and calling them Wakandans.

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not a superfan of Game of Thrones like some on the interwebs, but I was very entertained by the show and therefore also watched House of the Dragon. It's a different kind of show and was not as entertaining, but okay I guess.

One thing that really pulled me out of my suspense of disbelief was everytime this character showed up:

are-velaryons-black-or-white-in-house-of-the-dragon-book-1.jpg

On my little knowledge of the lore I'd imagine that Valyrians should look like this:

8CC0D7FE8180E7F4660A982533385F899A5A67EC

Can someone explain how the HotD Valyrians have such a differing skin color? In the GoT show there are clearly different ethnicities depending on geographic locations, so In-Universe it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind having black characters, but it's as distracting as would be showing this in a Black Panther movie:

iu

and calling them Wakandans.

Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, you're missing something. We never saw Velaryons in GoT so not sure why seeing them portrayed as black in HotD requires any suspension of disbelief.

The trailer has me super excited. Fingers crossed they have the budget and time to pull off some of the insane events coming up over the next few seasons.

Sushi_Combo

Vert excited for S2. I think everyone was taken by surprise at the quality of the first season. Hope they can keep the momentum going.

GOT Season 7-8 need to be retconned and erased from memory.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

This should be illegal. No, literally. Government intervention and the threat of prison illegal. This is why anti trust needs to actually be a thing, instead of the play pretend nonsense that it has become.

It's rated lower than House of the Dragon... If they really wanted to delete ALL of the negativity, wouldn't they have deleted all of the lower but good scores to BOOST what is, essentially, an average score at 7.0? Put it closer to House of the Dragon?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, you're missing something. We never saw Velaryons in GoT so not sure why seeing them portrayed as black in HotD requires any suspension of disbelief.

The trailer has me super excited. Fingers crossed they have the budget and time to pull off some of the insane events coming up over the next few seasons.
No, he isn't missing ANYTHING. Velaryons are well described in the text AND are heavily inbred with Targaryens, hell, the King himself is 1/4 velaryon or whatever.

It's just diversity casting without any attempt to explain it on the show. Just accept it as it is even if it makes a major plot point in S1 totally ridiculous to the point of making the King blind AND dumb as it can't possibly be overlooked like in the text.

Sadly Corleys actor is actually really good and I like what he does with the character when he isnt being sabotaged to prop up the character of his wife, all they needed was a single line that he was actually the bastard of his velaryion father and a Summer Isle princess and that would be that.

Still would make the later bit silly but at least the lore would kinda work out

Majormaxxx

It's rated lower than House of the Dragon... If they really wanted to delete ALL of the negativity, wouldn't they have deleted all of the lower but good scores to BOOST what is, essentially, an average score at 7.0? Put it closer to House of the Dragon?
7 is not average on imdb. Anything above 6.9 is actually good and worth your time. 8 is fantastic. 9 is out of this world. 6 is average, below that is poor...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
7 is not average on imdb. Anything above 6.9 is actually good and worth your time. 8 is fantastic. 9 is out of this world. 6 is average, below that is poor...

One person giving a game an above average score (7) is not the same as 1000 people giving the game an individual score and the final score is an average of those 1000 votes.

Majormaxxx

One person giving a game an above average score (7) is not the same as 1000 people giving the game an individual score and the final score is an average of those 1000 votes.
Sure but here we're not talking about one person giving the show a 7. We're talking precisely about the final score of 7. And on imdb, a 7 is an excellent score - a good product worth your time.

No, he isn't missing ANYTHING. Velaryons are well described in the text AND are heavily inbred with Targaryens, hell, the King himself is 1/4 velaryon or whatever.

It's just diversity casting without any attempt to explain it on the show. Just accept it as it is even if it makes a major plot point in S1 totally ridiculous to the point of making the King blind AND dumb as it can't possibly be overlooked like in the text.

Sadly Corleys actor is actually really good and I like what he does with the character when he isnt being sabotaged to prop up the character of his wife, all they needed was a single line that he was actually the bastard of his velaryion father and a Summer Isle princess and that would be that.

Still would make the later bit silly but at least the lore would kinda work out
I'm aware of how Velaryons are described in the books. Many families and characters have had changes to their appearances when comparing text-to-show. Not saying it isn't diversity casting - it absolutely is, but it doesn't break anything story-wise and at the end of the day, it's a weird thing to get hung up about.

I disagree it makes the S1 plot point ridiculous. I think it makes it even better. Viserys isn't fooled, he's in denial. The entire realm knows the truth after just a mere glimpse of the Velaryon children but Viserys refuses to accept it. The line directed at him from Aegon was perfect - "We know, Father. EVERYONE knows, just look at them". Viserys can't even respond to the comment because he knows it's true.

Not to go off-topic, but it reminds me of the Nicholas Barclay case of how far a parent will go to believe an obvious lie all for the sake of a little hope.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm aware of how Velaryons are described in the books. Many families and characters have had changes to their appearances when comparing text-to-show. Not saying it isn't diversity casting - it absolutely is, but it doesn't break anything story-wise and at the end of the day, it's a weird thing to get hung up about.

I disagree it makes the S1 plot point ridiculous. I think it makes it even better. Viserys isn't fooled, he's in denial. The entire realm knows the truth after just a mere glimpse of the Velaryon children but Viserys refuses to accept it. The line directed at him from Aegon was perfect - "We know, Father. EVERYONE knows, just look at them". Viserys can't even respond to the comment because he knows it's true.

Not to go off-topic, but it reminds me of the Nicholas Barclay case of how far a parent will go to believe an obvious lie all for the sake of a little hope.
Eh, you can say it doesn't bother you or ruin immersion, but it is ABSOLUTELY a case of diversity casing trumping storytelling and source material, so just don't gaslight anyone who objects to it as if they are the problem. It's a bad choice, an unnecessary choice, and it should be called out as such. But the other strengths of the show outweigh the flaws.

Eh, you can say it doesn't bother you or ruin immersion, but it is ABSOLUTELY a case of diversity casing trumping storytelling and source material, so just don't gaslight anyone who objects to it as if they are the problem. It's a bad choice, an unnecessary choice, and it should be called out as such. But the other strengths of the show outweigh the flaws.
I wasn't gaslighting. If continuity was broken by having a family change skin color within the same universe then I'd agree with you, but it didn't happen that way. The Velaryons were black from the first instance we saw them, and for that to be bothersome to a casual viewer who admittedly doesn't know the lore is strange to say the least.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I saw an Easter Egg breakdown and completely missed a hint at the most brutal fucking scene in the books and somehow I think HBO got it to the screen. I can only assume they tweaked it HEAVILY because even Game of Thrones or HBO doesn't cross lines like that these days.

If they HAVEN'T tweaked the scene somehow the reaction videos online to that episode are going to be some of the best reaction horror since the Red Wedding. It is fucking ROUGH.

EviLore EviLore did you catch it?

Blood & Cheese

Last edited:
I saw an Easter Egg breakdown and completely missed a hint at the most brutal fucking scene in the books and somehow I think HBO got it to the screen. I can only assume they tweaked it HEAVILY because even Game of Thrones or HBO doesn't cross lines like that these days.

If they HAVEN'T tweaked the scene somehow the reaction videos online to that episode are going to be some of the best reaction horror since the Red Wedding. It is fucking ROUGH.

Blood & Cheese
If we witness that play out exactly as it's described it'll have to be the most fucked up moment that's ever been in a show.

My guess is we mostly see Helaena's reaction to what's happening.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If we witness that play out exactly as it's described it'll have to be the most fucked up moment that's ever been in a show.

My guess is we mostly see Helaena's reaction to what's happening.
It has to be. There is no way they are going to do what happens in the books. The age of the children and the threats of rape alone put it WAY over the top for modern tv.

Actually forcing the mom to choose and then showing the beheading of a child? There ain't no way HBO has the balls to do that. Not even The Boys would be that blatantly over the line.

DKehoe

Blood & Cheese
I’m sure I read something a while back about them having cast one or both of those characters. It’s one of the signature moments of the story, showing just how brutal things have gotten, so I can’t imagine them skipping it.

It has to be. There is no way they are going to do what happens in the books. The age of the children and the threats of rape alone put it WAY over the top for modern tv.

Actually forcing the mom to choose and then showing the beheading of a child? There ain't no way HBO has the balls to do that. Not even The Boys would be that blatantly over the line.
I need them to go hard and do it. As soon as it happens all the normie fence sitters will jump STRAIGHT onto this show.

Trilobit

Sure, but are not Velaryons Valyrians like Targaryens? How come they were such a diverse people unless they were like USA? Are not the people and countries in that universe more inspired by medieval countries and times?

I need them to go hard and do it. As soon as it happens all the normie fence sitters will jump STRAIGHT onto this show.
I've been rereading F&B and honestly, I forgot how brutal some of the later deaths are. IMO they put that one to shame.

Joffrey Velaryon being hacked apart by a mob is going to haunt me if they film it the way it's described.

Sure, but are not Velaryons Valyrians like Targaryens? How come they were such a diverse people unless they were like USA? Are not the people and countries in that universe more inspired by medieval countries and times?
Both families migrated from Valyria, not too far from Slaver's Bay where Daenerys spends most her time in Seasons 1-6.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So this summer 2024

TLOU season 2 summer 2025

HBO has found their AMC Breaking Bad/Walking Dead duo

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So this summer 2024

TLOU season 2 summer 2025

HBO has found their AMC Breaking Bad/Walking Dead duo
? It was Breaking Bad and Mad men. Walking Dead isnt even close to those two GOAT.

And both shows came out every year. Not this bullshit 2-3 year gaps like they are movies or some shit. The whole point of tv is to get new seasons every season. Not ten seasons down the road. They should be shooting these things back to back like LOTR and Harry potter.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
? It was Breaking Bad and Mad men. Walking Dead isnt even close to those two GOAT.

And both shows came out every year. Not this bullshit 2-3 year gaps like they are movies or some shit. The whole point of tv is to get new seasons every season. Not ten seasons down the road. They should be shooting these things back to back like LOTR and Harry potter.
I meant more so in popularity, TWD and BB were AMC's most popular
And... TWD has a very special place in my heart :messenger_heart:

S0ULZB0URNE

They weren't.
They changed them for the show.

Top Bottom