• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's official - Fable rawks!

jedimike

http://chespace.ogamo.com/

I didn't bring my camera, but I brought both hands, which I used to play two solid hours of Fable, starting from the very beginning. I'm not sure if I've just been under a very large, mossy rock for months and months, or that I don't take very seriously the writings of my esteemed colleague Greg Orlando, who personally visited Big Blue Box in the U.K. to pen his spooge-fest for Xbox Nation's June cover story, because I've discovered today that Fable is a fucking fantastic action RPG. I can't say too much here, since I'll be detailing my revelations in the upcoming September issue of XBN. But I will say this: Fable may not have the best graphical tech out there, but the game is gorgeous and full of soul. The game is also undeniably British, in all the best possible ways: funny, smart, adult, and masterfully written. What impressed me most was how Fable handles the choices you've made (even as a child), and how the world reacts to you as a consequence. Mark my words -- Fable will get 8's and 9's across the board. Blarrggh! Such a good game. They literally had to pry me away to go interview the Forza Motorsport team...

Fable might be flawed in some minor aspect, but I think that this game has the possibility to be a wonderful experience.

So I don't care if it will be THE BEST rpg out there, just that it gives me a great experience.

jedimike

DrM said:
Kotor best rpg ever? Are you joking or something?

nope...

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 Nintendo 30 8.9 97.2% 98.6%
2. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack PS2 Rockstar Games 8 8.1 96.8% 96.9%
3. Soul Calibur DC Namco 28 8.9 96.4% 96.9%
4. Metroid Prime GC Nintendo 98 8.5 95.9% 96.1%
5. Halo: Combat Evolved XBOX Microsoft 92 8.7 95.2% 95.6%
6. NFL 2K1 DC Sega 24 7.8 95.2% 95.3%
7. Grand Theft Auto III PS2 Rockstar Games 85 8.6 94.7% 95.2%
8. Tekken 3 PS Namco 23 8.1 95.3% 95.2%
9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES Nintendo 13 9.3 95.4% 95.2%
10. Gran Turismo PS SCEA 20 8.2 94.6% 95.1%
11. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 Konami 85 8.6 94.7% 95.1%
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker GC Nintendo 102 8.9 95.1% 95.0%
13. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City PC Rockstar Games 47 8.8 94.2% 94.9%
14. NCAA Football 2005 PS2 EA Sports 5 9.1 94.8% 94.8%
15. GoldenEye 007 N64 Nintendo 26 8.9 94.6% 94.8%
16. Sonic the Hedgehog GEN Sega 6 8.8 91.6% 94.7%
17. Perfect Dark N64 Nintendo 59 8.9 94.6% 94.7%
18. Super Mario 64 N64 Nintendo 26 9.0 94.2% 94.5%
19. Half-Life PC Sierra Entertainment 27 8.6 94.1% 94.4%
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 DC Activision 15 8.0 94.1% 94.4%
21. Metal Gear Solid GBC Konami 19 8.0 93.9% 94.2%
22. Super Mario World SNES Nintendo 7 9.2 94.5% 94.2%
23. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic XBOX LucasArts 116 9.0 94.0% 94.2%

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hmm, I never finished KOTOR, and I know most of you agree that KOTOR starts off really slow, but I found the first two hours of Fable to be much more compelling, and better paced than KOTOR.

But just as you can't really compare LOZ: WW to KOTOR, you can't do the same with Fable either. Fable is like a 3D LOZ with all the complexities (stats, character development, weapon growth, etc.) of a western RPG like KOTOR, and the social experimentation and design ambiguities of a Molyneux-style game like Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, etc.

I think you guys will really dig it.

----

http://chespace.ogamo.com

Iceman

Can't wait personally.

This followed by Jade Empire and KOTOR2... It's going to be a sweet, sweet RPG season.

Kon Tiki

Banned
chespace said:
Hmm, I never finished KOTOR, and I know most of you agree that KOTOR starts off really slow, but I found the first two hours of Fable to be much more compelling, and better paced than KOTOR.

But just as you can't really compare LOZ: WW to KOTOR, you can't do the same with Fable either. Fable is like a 3D LOZ with all the complexities (stats, character development, weapon growth, etc.) of a western RPG like KOTOR, and the social experimentation and design ambiguities of a Molyneux-style game like Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, etc.

----

Dispite some ludicrous acquisitions made by some people, I still look forward to this game. Thank you for the impressions.

Edit: I still do not forgive you for give that low score to World Driver Championship. :p

IJoel

I am reluctant about Fable since so many features were cut, but hopefully it turns out to be a pretty good game.

jedimike

chespace said:

----

Glad to hear it!

btw, nice blog. Interesting stuff, especially the part on your friend at doublefine. Did psychonauts find a publisher yet?

Mashing

Hey cool! That site has a picture of Microsoft the year I was born... rock!

Oh and on topic... can't wait for Fable!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
8bit said:
Ehh, fuck that.

The Wario Ware knock off is far more interesting.

http://www.altoids.com/index.aspx?area=game&relationID=407&siteGameID=315
WTF?! That's a really unabashed rip-off, right down to the presentation and the GBA-esque "system" the screen is on.

jedimike said:
I move that we disallow any future validations of a game's quality by posting its Game Rankings link, as it's irritating and doesn't prove anything at all, except maybe a vague idea of how reviewers felt about it when compared to other games of the same time period.

Matlock

Banned
Re: JediMike

Hey guys, look at those two RPG's above and beyond Star Wars!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Matlock said:
Re: JediMike

Hey guys, look at those two RPG's above and beyond Star Wars!
The Legend of Zelda games are not RPGs at all.

jedimike

human5892 said:
I move that we disallow any future validations of a game's quality by posting its Game Rankings link, as it's irritating and doesn't prove anything at all, except maybe a vague idea of how reviewers felt about it when compared to other games of the same time period.

Is there a better way to judge a game's "credibility" in the gaming community? If so, I'm all for it. 94% with over 116 reviews says a lot about the quality of KOTOR. I don't see how you could just ignore those opinions while trying to give credibility to someone elses.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jedimike said:
Is there a better way to judge a game's "credibility" in the gaming community? If so, I'm all for it. 94% with over 116 reviews says a lot about the quality of KOTOR. I don't see how you could just ignore those opinions while trying to give credibility to someone elses.
I'm not trying to disavow the credibility of Game Rankings, but I don't think it can be used to justify arguments about a game being "the best ever" in its genre just because it has a high rating on there -- especially when the site only covers relatively recent games.

Of course, a high percentage rating on Game Rankings is generally a mark of quality, but I think that's all it's useful for -- a general idea of a game, not a tool for calculating specifically how good a game is.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jedimike said:

If those 116 reviewers also review every other RPG that came out and still game to the conclusion that Kotor was the best RPG ever, then it is admissible. There has to be a constant.

rastex

Banned
You retards. GameRankings is the only objective tool used to measure the quality of a game. Actually, there is one other method and that's using number of units sold (or money made). Those 2 methods are the only statistics available, anything else is simply subjective opinion which can't be argued. Therefore there is no friggin point!

The reason why you don't accept GameRankings is because it doesn't support YOUR agenda/opinion. Which is fine. It doesn't agree with your opinion, but it's the best tool fans have available to compare different games on an objective level. And those 116 reviewers don't have to rank all RPGs you people. Geez, it's a statistical tool that meta collects all reviews to give an average, with a large sample space that they have any individual effects are totally minimized and it becomes the critics CONSENSUS on the game that is shown. So critics agree that KOtoR is the best RPG ever. If you don't agree, that's fine, it doesn't matter, your opinion means nothing to the argument.

Kon Tiki

Banned
rastex said:
You retards. GameRankings is the only objective tool used to measure the quality of a game. Actually, there is one other method and that's using number of units sold (or money made). Those 2 methods are the only statistics available, anything else is simply subjective opinion which can't be argued. Therefore there is no friggin point!

The reason why you don't accept GameRankings is because it doesn't support YOUR agenda/opinion. Which is fine. It doesn't agree with your opinion, but it's the best tool fans have available to compare different games on an objective level. And those 116 reviewers don't have to rank all RPGs you people. Geez, it's a statistical tool that meta collects all reviews to give an average, with a large sample space that they have any individual effects are totally minimized and it becomes the critics CONSENSUS on the game that is shown. So critics agree that KOtoR is the best RPG ever. If you don't agree, that's fine, it doesn't matter, your opinion means nothing to the argument.

Wow, you are dull.

rastex said:

Mairu

rastex said:
Actually, there is one other method and that's using number of units sold (or money made).
232025.jpg

:eek:

Between Sudeki, Fable, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2...it should be a nice rpg season with just a few months in between each of those releases. Baiten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia would make a good addition as well.

Having both a GC and Xbox rocks.

B E N K E

The logic of bunching a group of subjective views together and forming an objective truth is pretty extreme. I'd say it's communism!

Subitai

It sounds great, but I don't want to contribute to hype that might not live up to expectation on this one. I'd like to be pleasantly blown away. :)

This game was the reason I bought my xbox (this was before it was delayed a few times). I was kind of getting worried for a bit there becaues of all the things that got axed, but it sounds like it's still doing well. Thats what I like to hear :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Subitai said:
It sounds great, but I don't want to contribute to hype that might not live up to expectation on this one. I'd like to be pleasantly blown away. :)

ala KOTOR :)

I even wrote that off when it was announced alongside Panzer Dragoon Orta. I was like PDO = woot! KOTOR = meh... it was a pleasant surprise playing through KOTOR only to realise it obliterated PDO in every respect. I remember even writing off RalliSport Challenge lol.

Argh!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GaimeGuy said:
Fable sounds more and more like Starfox Adventures 2...

But whatever, the more great games, the better for the industry. Which is why I hope Rare doesn't continue to suck, like they have been for the last seven years or so, IMO.

I think you are looking for the KAMEO thread.

Top Bottom