• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Scarface! (delete if old)

BarneyBP

Hope I won't be welcomed to last week...

Just got the new EGM today. The "World Exclusive" is Scarface for PS2 and Xbox. Due in late 2005, looks great.

-Brian

Alex

Scarface is what that big EGM secret was? I hadn't heard that before, just the announcement a few days prior.

That's, um, pretty crappy.

BarneyBP

True, I don't see mention in those previous threads that Scarface is the EGM exclusive. Perhaps I am redeemed...

BarneyBP

I aim to please...

Silent Hill 4 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
Nascar 2005 9.0, 8.0, 9.0 (silver)
Street Racing Syndicate 7.0, 6.0, 6.0
ESPN NHL 2K5 8.5, 8.5, 8.0 (silver)
NHL 2005 6.0, 6.0, 7.0
(Don't le tthis devolve into an EA/Sega Hate thread, thanks!)
Cue the dancing sega banannas?

Burnout 3 9.0, 9.5, 9.0 (Game of the month) (gold)
Catwoman 4.5, 5.5, 2.0
Armored Core: Nexus 6.0, 6.0, 5.0
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires 6.0, 5.5, 6.5
Star Ocean: Till The End of TIme 7.0, 7.0. 7.5
Viewtiful Joe (PS2) 8.5, 8.5, 9.0 (silver)
Astro Boy 5.0, 3.0, 5.0
Hot Shots Golf Fore! 7.0, 8.5, 6.5
Phantom Brave 8.5, 8.5, 8.5 (silver)
Spy Fiction 5.5, 3.0, 5.0
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload 9.0, 8.5, 9.0 (silver)
Sudeki 4.5, 6.0, 5.5 (Ouch!)
Pikmin 2 8.5, 9.0, 9.0 (silver)
Amazing Island 5.5, 3.0, 5.5

BarneyBP said:
I aim to please...

Nascar 2005 9.0, 8.0, 9.0 (silver)
Street Racing Syndicate 7.0, 6.0, 6.0
NHL 2005 6.0, 6.0, 7.0
(Don't le tthis devolve into an EA/Sega Hate thread, thanks!)
Cue the dancing sega banannas?

Catwoman 4.5, 5.5, 2.0
Astro Boy 5.0, 3.0, 5.0

wow some brutal scores in there! What did they say about Star Ocean III?

BarneyBP

Star Ocean 3 isnt quite stellar.
A relatively solid follow up, with an ok storyline, but the battle system isnt too hot. The real time isnt as good as Tales of Symphonia due to AI and collision detection. If you're really into RPGs, you'll like it, awesome voice acting (!!!). Overall, it's just solid.

MaddenNFL64

I think it got a better score than the GC version which is just... wrong :\.

It's probably because they have more appreciation for the game than they had when they first reviewed it.

BarneyBP

You people never stop.

Viewtiful Joe has good controls, Dante is a fun character and hilarious to play as and the unlockables make replay worthwhile. Best for those that never got a run at the Cube version, especially since the PS2 version is budget priced.

Matlock

Banned

^Paging Dr. SSx! Paging Dr. SSx!

NHL 2005 6.0, 6.0, 7.0

^Haha, EA Sports got owned.

^Nice, nothing unexpected...I still want to find BO2. :-|

^Far from GOTY status, I see. What was the reasoning for this?

Astro Boy 5.0, 3.0, 5.0

^That had better be for the PS2 version. IF they rated the GBA version that, heads will ROLL.

belgurdo

Banned
Matlock said:

^Far from GOTY status, I see. What was the reasoning for this?

"More of the same" is usually their excuse for never giving DWs anything higher than 7.5 usually

BarneyBP

Astro Boy's score was the PS2 version.

As for Empires, most of it is the same old soldier fighting legions of enemies. The strategy helps to make it more involved then other Dynasty games. Mainly a beat em up, some of the reviewers found the versus mode fun but nothing special, others didnt like it. People really into DW will enjoy it.

Joe

belgurdo said:
Bleah, typical shitty EGM scores show that they're par for the course again
you do realize they are opinions right? just because you don't agree with their thoughts on a game doesn't make it "shitty".

Joe said:
you do realize they are opinions right? just because you don't agree with their thoughts on a game doesn't make it "shitty".
belgurdo
When it comes to stupid whiny generalizations there is no power greater than I
(Today, 05:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

belgurdo

Banned
Joe said:

Uh, yes, I know they're just opinions. It's also my opinion to say that they're "shitty" as well

hahaha! There were hints that it was Scarface.

"Say hello to an awesome new game..."

"we can't even tell you what it is, mang."

^_^

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
skip said:
but I want to try to get his head to explode.

Didn't you learn anything from that thread about piracy?
You can't change the world. Give up.

SH4 seemed to start off slow, but really picked up eventually.

Man, it's a month full of mediocrity:

- Sega continues their spiral into oblivion. Incredibly, Amazing Island fares better than Astro Boy.
- Silent Hill 4 fails to impress.
- Nippon Ichi > Squeenix
- "Sudeki: It's Better Than Spy Fiction"
- Pikmin 2 rocks.

BarneyBP said:
Catwoman 4.5, 5.5, 2.0
Astro Boy 5.0, 3.0, 5.0

Alex

I'm marked junior because hardly anything at GA is worth replying to these days. :p I've been here for about five years.

Hot Shots and Burnout get.

Still mulling over Star Ocean...

But the praise it gets for English VA is bullshit. The VA sucks. Half of the females sound, not exaggeratingly, borderline retarded.

But then again, considering a lot of publications said Symphonia had bad VA, I'm not too shocked. Barring the unnatural presentation of VA + forwarding dialogue boxes, Symphona has some of the best VA in a localized game. If you want an example of bad Tales VA buy Eternia/Destiny II.

RPG mechanics wise, you don't listen to mags, period. Unless you're simply out for whatever cutscene filled monster their trying to feed the kiddies this year.

I keep hearing the same issues about SO3, which leaves me concerned, but considering no one brings up the still fairly lengthy list of problems Tales games still have is kinda notion to shrug lots of it off.

I'll have to buy SO3 too, then make a big, big classic Alex RPG topic, and hopefully piss some folks from both camps off.

PS: Symphonia doesn't have good AI. Espically for the dumbass mage jobs on the two upper difficulties.

BarneyBP

There isn't a scan.

Now that I've read the whole article, I'm less sold on Scarface, though it is early on.

Not sure if this was in the original press release, but the mag mentions that the storyline pretends Tony didn't die at the end of the movie and continues onward from there. Seems like a good way to enrage fans of the original, we'll see.

Hah. Sorry about the Tommy. Too much GTA?

belgurdo

Banned
BarneyBP said:
There isn't a scan.

Now that I've read the whole article, I'm less sold on Scarface, though it is early on.

Not sure if this was in the original press release, but the mag mentions that the storyline pretends Tommy didn't die at the end of the movie and continues onward from there. Seems like a good way to enrage fans of the original, we'll see.

Got your hands on a super special edition, eh?

BarneyBP

Q didn't have much. I don't want to put too much content out there so I'll try and sum up. Expect a new batman game, Sony may have a NFL Street competitor in the works for PSP, GTA will return to Xbox, Riddick will be back, SSX won't be (until next generation), Don't be surprised to see eye toy support in Gran Turismo 4.

jett said:
Crazy gaffers, who lost their marbles over a vague hint and blew their expectations way out of the water even when like three Ziff editors posted in the thread to try and defuse their insanity, and who are now going to try and make it all EGM's fault, can go fuck themselves.
Fixed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont know....this Scarface game must be REALLY AWESOME if EGM said this is the game that everyone will want to play

Top Bottom