• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: horror imagery

NKiqhoG.gif

Last edited:

poodaddy

The last one was terrible. Del Toro was the perfect director for this franchise, it’s a shame we didn’t get the third movie.
I liked em too but they had issues, and weren't really anything like the vibe of the books. This, on the other hand, seems most similar to the calm Eldritch horror vibe of the books, which means I'm very fuckin excited.

I liked em too but they had issues, and weren't really anything like the vibe of the books. This, on the other hand, seems most similar to the calm Eldritch horror vibe of the books, which means I'm very fuckin excited.

Funnily enough, I’ve never read any of the comics, but I always thought the Del Toro scripts had a very Neil Gaiman vibe.
If the comics take a much darker tone I should check em out. Any recommendations for a good graphic novel compilation or anything?

poodaddy

Funnily enough, I’ve never read any of the comics, but I always thought the Del Toro scripts had a very Neil Gaiman vibe.
If the comics take a much darker tone I should check em out. Any recommendations for a good graphic novel compilation or anything?
You're absolutely right that Del Toro seemed to take more from Gaiman than Mignola for his take on Hellboy, which is why the movies are so fun and innovative and why the characters are so likable, charismatic, and unique and why the world feels so well built. These are all great things. The books, on the other hand, have a much more muted, creepy tone, and they're technically considered horror in terms of genre, which I don't think we can claim of the movies.

As far as recommendation, I'd say start at Vol 1 with Seeds of Doom and follow the chronology, but that's a boring answer huh? My real answer is Hellboy The Wild Hunt and Hellboy in Hell, those books are just fucking outstanding. Also, there are a lot extended universe books about the other characters, particularly Abe, and they range from fine to outstanding.

Also, if you end up digging Mignola, please check out Baltimore. It's secretly better than Hellboy, and I love Hellboy, though Baltimore never quite caught on the same way.

Top Bottom