• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Michael Straczynski working on new Star Trek series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, Berman is still involved so things could get messy.

Trek Today reports that in a recent post made to the "Babylon 5" usenet group, series creator J. Michael Straczynski surprised his fans by revealing that he and "Dark Skies" creator Bryce Zabel wrote a treatment earlier this year for a new "Star Trek" television series. Straczynski felt that the new premise "would restore the series in a big way. I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Apart from this tantalizing admission from a man who wasn't above regularly slagging off the franchise whilst producing B5, no further details about the premise of Straczynski and Zabel's potential 'Trek' show were mentioned. It's the first indication that someone from outside of the current "Star Trek" creative team of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had been asked by Paramount to develop an idea for Gene Roddenberry's universe. Braga has mentioned that he is stepping back from the showrunning of "Enterprise" for its fourth season, and that he and Berman are working on a new sci-fi series that isn't 'Trek'.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
How does he find the time? Among other things he's still doing Amazing Spiderman right?

maharg

idspispopd
He's not working on anything Trek, he said in that post that it's been a long time without hearing anything back. He just put in a proposal.

Here's how you tell how JMS really IS working on something: He endlessly drops little hints about it in bits and pieces. If he does an info-dump like that, it more than likely means there is no hope of it ever happening.

Mashing

Member
I want a Section 31 series so bad... and what's his face must reprise his role..

I forget his name, the bad guy in Die Hard 2.

teiresias

Member
Though I did prefer Deep Space 9 over Babylon 5 and his consistent whining over DS9 got old, I respect the man and have one of his books and have read many of his articles on writing and stuff. So this does have me fairly excited - anyone but Berman will get me excited at this point. Straczynski working concurrently on a treatment for a REAL, final TNG movie would also add to my excitement.

maharg

idspispopd
So people stop giving this any sort of weight:

From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:43:33 +0000 (UTC)

>> John W. Kennedy wrote:
>>> Over on one of the British B5 groups, they've been speculating that
>>> you're about to take over "Enterprise", but unless you've suddenly
>>> started using the word "series" in the British TV sense (i.e., what US
>>> TV calls a "season [of a series]"), that's out.
>>
>> Enterprise has already been taken over by Manny Cotto. And why would jms
>> go and work for Star Trek??<<
>
>Manny Coto is, I believe, show runner; not EP.

No, just to clarify, though I got a call last year about coming onto
Enterprise, offering an EP position, and declined, the series I mentioned has
nothing to do with any current series, it's a new show. As for Manny, he's a
good writer, and left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over
there without the other powers that be impeding the process.

Amusingly enough, on the Trek front, Bryce Zabel (the creator of Dark Skies)
and I got together and wrote a treatment earlier this year that specified how
to save ST and develop a series that would restore the series in a big way. I
actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere
with Paramount, who knows?

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
and don't send me story ideas)

From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:55:43 +0000 (UTC)

There's some misinterpretations of what I said going around...so let's address them.

>Well - the now verified (from the horse's mouth, so to speak) fact that
>JMS WAS approached on the possibility of taking the reins of Star
>Trek: Enterprise (and wisely turned that down - gag, hack, hack)

Nope. I said that Paramount approached me about coming on board as an EP, not show-runner position. Berman and Braga would still have run the thing. I didn't feel that I could function best in that arrangement.

As for the treatment Bryce and I wrote for another Trek series, as I said, we wrote it on our own, NOT as an assignment from Paramount.

Just in the interests of accuracy.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine and don't send me story ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom