• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter Collection |OT|

Grabbed Jak 1 - huge fan of this game when it first released (Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin are bosses), but was never able to get on board with the darker, 'serious' tone of it's sequels so I never tried them.

Just wondering if someone could fill me in on what I'm missing.

Not much, just one of the best platformers of ALL TIME in Jak 2, and its sequel which was still pretty damn awesome even though it felt like an expansion pack at times (it reused a large chunk of 2's locations) and featured a dumbed-down difficulty level.

iBuzz7S

Banned
I hate that I have to wait at least 3 weeks for the game, since it is delayed in EU. I could grab it from a NA retailer, but the postage time would have me getting it anywhere from a day to a week early, and paying an extra $15.

Yaska

I hate that I have to wait at least 3 weeks for the game, since it is delayed in EU. I could grab it from a NA retailer, but the postage time would have me getting it anywhere from a day to a week early, and paying an extra $15.

On the same boat. Getting a 50 USD psn card would cost around 61 USD. But US price and Disc price here are roughly the same (disc is bit more). So to wait for 3 weeks, or get the collection now.

Endo Punk

From my understanding the game has missing effects? I don't so much care about sub-HD but missing effects and such is unforgiveable so will not purchase.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
PSN game are not region locked are they?if they are not I ll grab it from store tonight instead of waiting another two weeks

Erasus

I never played these on PS2.

I fucking love Ratchet and Clank though, even the new ones. I´ll pick this up when the price drops a bit. Im in EU so I´ll have to wait 2 weeks anyway (fucking why?)

They are 60fps? Cool, ICO and SoTC was 30 so I didnt think these would be 60.

But are they sub-HD? Is DigitalFoundry going to do a feature?

I never played these on PS2.

I fucking love Ratchet and Clank though, even the new ones. I´ll pick this up when the price drops a bit. Im in EU so I´ll have to wait 2 weeks anyway (fucking why?)

They are 60fps? Cool, ICO and SoTC was 30 so I didnt think these would be 60.

But are they sub-HD? Is DigitalFoundry going to do a feature?

The jak games ran at 60fps on PS2, so it was a given, they had framerate problems though (lots of tearing), so I hope that the PS3 versions will be more stable and v-sync, but it should be a given.

Not much, just one of the best platformers of ALL TIME in Jak 2, and its sequel which was still pretty damn awesome even though it felt like an expansion pack at times (it reused a large chunk of 2's locations) and featured a dumbed-down difficulty level.

Alright, fair enough. I'll grab it after I give Precursor a go, thanks fella.

Xander51

I've never played any of these in spite of all the acclaim over the years. Didn't know they were coming to PSN, might check them out there.

by most accounts the sequels were frustratingly difficult, and their darker tone and open world designs were an acquired taste.

I went to Target, Best Buy, and Gamestop with no luck before eventually finding it at FYE. Gamestop guy told me they were sold out already. Sold out in a day. That's pretty impressive for a rerelease without much marketing.

Spwn

I've never played any of the Jak games because I didn't like the first one's artstyle back in the day (felt it was too cartoony for a cool teen like me) and just skipped the sequels because they were tied to the first one. Been interested in picking the collection up although it being sub-HD was off-putting at first. Was also concerned how well the games will hold up graphically, but after watching the GB Quick Look I can say it look pretty good in motion. Will buy when the price drops a little bit.

I got the only copy at the closest Gamestop, in fact they had gutted it and used it as a display case. Yepppp. Did I pay used price for it? Noppppeee.

Derrick01

Banned
You know, you're probably right actually. Well, at least 1 or 2 people bought the game then.

I put $5 down at gamestop for it when I was there for something else and he said it's a good idea to preorder it. They get a max of 5 copies and they get next to nothing for further shipments. It seems to go that way for most of these collections because it was hard to find the Ico and Sly collections when I looked around christmas time.

edit: In fact when I went to cancel it on Monday since I was just going to get 2 and 3 on PSN, he said that was the only copy that was shipped to them. They had no other preorders and no regular ones for sale.

TripOpt55

I had a tough time finding it as well. Checked Best Buy then FYE and then Gamestop. They had a gutted copy which I wasn't too interested in, so decided I'd keep looking. And Toys R Us had a couple of copies, so I got one there.

Anyway, I finished up The Precursor Legacy tonight. That game is pretty much perfect to me. I think I will jump into Jak II tomorrow.

teiresias

Why does it actually cost more to buy the collection than to get the games separately? Is there any advantage?

The collection is $40 and each game separately is $15, right? $15 * 3 = $45, so how exactly is the collection costing more?

[EDIT] Nevermind, saw it addressed already - forgot to refresh the thread.

kaiwing

While I definitely am getting this collection, I hope that they decide to release the other three games as well:

Jak X
J&D - The Lost Frontier
Daxter

That way we have the entire saga on PS3 like we do for God of War and Sly Cooper. Which reminds me, when is my Ratchet and Clank HD collection going to be announced?

KingK

Which reminds me, when is my Ratchet and Clank HD collection going to be announced?

This. They really need to do a collection with Ratchet and Clank, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal. If that were to happen, nearly all of my favorite PS2 games would have HD PS3 versions.

Is this coming out on the Vita?

conflicting reports on the internet.

Also on the subject of a Jak4 and hearing Naughty Dogs ideas.... Yeah I think it should be handed off to another studio. No offense to Naughty Dog but most of the time when ever a creator returns to a old series of there's they normal try and reinvent the wheel instead of just making what most fans of that game want and you end up with stuff like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts when all people really want was something in Banjo 1/2 style but with better graphics.

Probably better off for a future entry in the franchise to be made by a studio who where fans of the original games and are talented enough to continue that legacy and dont feel obligated to completely re imagine every little thing.

JohngPR

Apparently Best Buy has it so I might head over there tomorrow and pick it up. I have a $10 Reward Zone coupon I need to use anyway. :)

Top Bottom