• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan-US researchers win Ig Nobel prize for the question that keeps you up late at night - can mammals breath through their ass?

I am a . . .

• Nose breather

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Mouth breather

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Anus breather

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Meat Popsicle

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
a1cXcJu.jpeg

A team of Japanese and American researchers was awarded the satirical Ig Nobel Prize in physiology on Sept. 12 for discovering that mammals can breathe through their anuses.

This marks the 18th consecutive year that a Japanese researcher has been honored with the Ig Nobel Prize, which recognizes “research that makes people laugh and then think.”

The prize is awarded by the scientific humor magazine Annals of Improbable Research.

More like Anals of Improbably Research, amirite?

In an experiment, the team injected oxygen through the anuses of mice in low-oxygen conditions.

As a result, the mice showed some recovery from respiratory failure and a significant increase in survival rate, proving that mammals can absorb oxygen through their intestines.

9iDhJ9S.png

The team also developed a method for potential use in humans by injecting oxygen or oxygen-rich liquid into the rectum through the anus. They named the technique “enteral ventilation via anus (EVA).”

Scared Neon Genesis Evangelion GIF

calistan

I've seen this doing the rounds for laughs, but there's a really grotesque animal experiment behind it. It's not animals standing in a bath, sucking oxygen through their bungholes, it's a surgical procedure. There's a video of it, if anyone dares look up the original paper (Okabe et al 2021 Med 2 773-83).

calistan

I'm not completely against animal testing, but that experiment is very fucked up.
This one has a definite post-Covid purpose - how to get oxgen into patients whose lungs no longer work - and it's already highly cited, so I guess some good may come of it. It's the trivial ones that annoy me, testing cosmetics and the like.

Most pointless one I ever read was a 1982 study into the toxicity of Tabasco sauce. People had been eating this stuff for over 100 years, but some researchers in Pennsylvania noticed that nobody had officially determined whether it was poisonous. Cue various experiments to see how much Tabasco vs ordinary vinegar you can force-feed a rat before it dies, what happens to guinea pigs when you scratch their skin and rub in Tabasco, and whether rabbits make a noise when you drip Tabasco in their eyes (spoiler: they do). DOI 10.3109/01480548209017772 if you fancy looking it up on sci-hub, there are no graphic images.

Top Bottom