• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese first-day sales 11/18

bloke

1 PS2 Momotarou Densetsu USA 49,000 26%
2 GC Mario Party 6 31,000 12%
3 PS2 J-League Winning Eleven 8 22,000 55%
4 GBA DragonBall Advance 15,000 25%
5 PS2 Pop'n Music 10 10,000, 43%
6 PS2 Beatmania IIDX 8th Style 5,700, 35%
7 PS2 Zoids 5,200 29%
8 PS2 Meitantei Conan: Daiei Teikoku no Isan 4,700 18%

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ipod_mini

jett

D-Member
J-League is different from the regular WE series. They don't sell anywhere nearly as well as the main series. :p

Seems like a boring day.

john tv

I think Mario Party came out a bit early, too. It's usually a big holiday seller in Japan, so I suspect sales will pick up and remain steady through the New Year.

That, or everyone finally realized that it's practically the same game every 12 months... :)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
funcojoe said:
Japan more like who gives a fuck.
?
Who gives a fuck about Japan's sales?
I do.

Thanks for bumping the thread, though, good job on that. *applause*

Mrbob

The only ouch part is that Mario Party 6 only sold 12 percent of stock. Most titles I notice usually sell 40-50 or higher. But this is only first day sales. How much have the previous Party gams sold in Japan? I thought they all sold around 700-900K. But Mario Party games have always been a more casual purchase so sales will probably stay steady.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
john tv said:
That, or everyone finally realized that it's practically the same game every 12 months... :)
You know, I used to think the same thing, and then I started thinking about why I kjeep buying it.. and you know what? despite the mechanics being virtually identical every year, they're not completely identical.. the mini games change enough and the board mechanics change enough that buying Mario Party every year is NO different than buying Madden every year. They update it enough to give you and your friends 5000000 new and fresh matches over the next 12 months waiting for next years copy to change it up again.

/fanyboy off

cvxfreak

I wouldn't worry about Mario Party 6's sales. It'll probably sell 600K or in that neighborhood like it usually does.

Mrbob

Nintendo should change the title of Mario Party games to include the year. Especially if they are going to update the game every year.

Mario Party 2005
Mario Party 2006
Mario Party 2007

Etc, etc.

borghe said:
the mini games change enough and the board mechanics change enough that buying Mario Party every year is NO different than buying Madden every year.

Or buying multiple games in a series (say, Gradius) where the only change is new levels to play through in the exact same way as the previous time.

Mario Party has consistently kicked ass since 1998 and keeps on doing so, both sales and quality-wise. Releasing a new sequel every year is a great thing when developers actually pull it off. Mario Party is just "cool to hate" for some idiotic reason, and I'm guessing 90% of the people doing the hating have never even played it.

Jonnyram

Mrbob said:
The only ouch part is that Mario Party 6 only sold 12 percent of stock. Most titles I notice usually sell 40-50 or higher. But this is only first day sales. How much have the previous Party gams sold in Japan? I thought they all sold around 700-900K. But Mario Party games have always been a more casual purchase so sales will probably stay steady.
They do get high numbers eventually, but even last year's game only sold 80k in the first week and ended up over 600k by the time the year was out. The major sales are over the year end holidays usually.

Broshnat

Banned
MP6 will pick up over Xmas time don't worry.

I do think it's a bit low though, but hey. Will probably be around 60-70k first week.

Plenty of time for it to sell 500k before Xmas though.

I think Naruto 3 sales will be more important

Broshnat

Banned
Since time began.

As I say, it's not the end of the world though for a game like MP6 which is obviously a holiday game. If it does 200k in it's first month it'll be ok as it will do 300k+ over the main xmas period.

The same kind of pattern should hopefully help Mario Tennis and Zelda do some good numbers by early Jan as well...

jiggle

:lol wtf

Momotarou Densetsu USA.
921680_20040927_screen002.jpg

921680_20040927_screen005.jpg

921680_20040927_screen006.jpg

I want this game.

Top Bottom