• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

japanese Wifi access fee...(psp or nds?)

neptunes

even though this article is a bit old, I don't think it has been posted.

Japanese government plans wireless LAN fee

Gamers in Japan may be charged for playing with others on the PSP or DS if a new bill passes through parliament next year.
TOKYO--According to Kyodo News, the Ministry of Public Management, which governs the telecommunications field in Japan, is planning a new bill that will charge consumers a radio signal fee for operating devices that utilize wireless LAN. Previously radio signal fees were only charged to major companies with wireless communication licenses, such as broadcasting stations or mobile phone operators. The ministry explains that it the new bill aims to "make things fair," since wireless LAN products and mobile phones use radio waves in a similar manner.

The new radio signal bill specifically targets homes and offices that operate PCs over a wireless LAN. However, if passed by the Japanese parliament, the law will mean that multiplayer on the Sony’s PSP and Nintendo’s DS will come with a cost, since both use wireless LAN for their connections.

The bill will not be proposed to parliament until next year, so consumers and electronic manufacturers in Japan will have plenty of time to organize oppostion to the Ministry of Public Management's proposal.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does I hope the government here doesn't plan to capatlize on wifi by adding a tax to it also.

jarrod

Banned
Fortunately DS also includes Motorola's wireless tech for local wireless (it's easier on the battery than WiFi too). Sony should consider doing something similar imo...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If the article is right though, this tax seems to be targeting local area Wifi use, not just the use of Wifi to access remote resources over an Internet connection...so Nintendo's alternate wireless solution could be just as susceptible to this bill, depending on how it's worded.

neptunes

At this point in time I think it'll be too much of a hassle for sony to add any new proprietary wireless tech to the psp.

akascream

Banned
Shit, if paying a tax meant nation-wide wireless internet, I'd fucking do it. Very uncharacteristic of me, wanting the government to do it vs the private sector.. but when it comes to telecommunications, things end up in thier hands eventually anyway. Especially if you are talking about putting access points across entire cities.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
If the article is right though, this tax seems to be targeting local area Wifi use, not just the use of Wifi to access remote resources over an Internet connection...so Nintendo's alternate wireless solution could be just as susceptible to this bill, depending on how it's worded.
I'm not entirely sure but I believe the Motorolla solution is Bluetooth based. Are you sure this bill would cover that as well?

akascream

Banned
Let's face it... The government would tax air if they could.
"that's not a bad idea!"
866_7.jpg

Top Bottom