• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAWS on Blu-ray August 14th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poltergeist is an amazing film. I remember watching it as a kid and it scaring the shit outta me. Awesome :)

Surprised it's not been remade actually, its a cool idea still :)

They're waiting for Spielberg to die before that remake comes out

And once Lucas is gone, then we can start on the Indy sequels/prequels

Draconian

Man, it's nice to see Spielberg's stuff being release on Blu ray. Munich and Schindler next please!

Yep. I just bought Close Encounters and am waiting for Jaws to do a double feature. I had no idea it came with a digibook.

Also, I watched Poltergeist for the first time last night. It was great. Had no idea about the directing controversy though.

Shadybiz

Jaws (3D)? Anyone in with me on this?

Dat 3D:

Jaws-1.jpg

dosh

My man.

Secret: I think I almost want Munich on blu more than Schindler. Spielberg's best looking film and I just know it would look absolutely SUPERB on blu.

You speak the truth. Munich is really high up on my "Spielberg on Blu please" list. I actually think it was only second to Jaws (Jaws being the best movie ever and all that).

NekoFever

The movie was re-released in the UK recently - and probably the US, I think - as a PG. Can those ratings be revised?
It was revised from a PG to a 12A when it had a limited theatrical re-release a couple of months ago. The BBFC's notes make for interesting reading and explain why stuff like Quint's death doesn't justify a higher rating:

At the time the film was submitted for video classification the '12' certificate had not yet been introduced. Given how well known the film is and given the fact it had been classified 'A' for cinema release in the 1970s (which was broadly equivalent to the modern 'PG' certificate), the decision was taken that JAWS should be classified at 'PG' rather than at the next available certificate of '15'. However, the film is clearly more appropriately classified at the '12A' level now that another classification is available between 'PG' and '15'.

Although the bloody and gory images occur within a real world setting, they are seen only briefly and occur in the context of animal attacks rather than human violence. As a result, the violence is not sadistic in nature and the brief blood and gore serves to establish what has happened rather than emphasising blood or injuries.

kaskade

I'm getting it. I have a few movie posters in the basement of some older stuff and Jaws is one of them so it'd be fitting to have the Blu-Ray.

Iceman

Is there a possibility of renting this guy at any location today or tomorrw, or is digital purchase/download the only option for me?

Tedesco!

I grabbed my copy. In what I believe is a first, (at least for me) the digital download code provided gave me access to not only the SD version, but the HD version and the iTunes extras. I don't think I've seen that happen with a physical media purchase before.

Went to Best Buy to check out the video game sale, was surprised to see this on a table by the door. A pleasant surprise.

We should organize a thread to watch it all at the same time... For some reason.

kaskade

Movie looks damn good in Hi-Def. It's crazy how a 35 year old movie can still look this good. Technology is awesome.

Just ordered the metal case of goodness before I saw this thread.

Looking forward to rewatch it for the 12th time and then again in the awesome French dub that was erased from all previous releases.

Darkgran

Just started watching it..looks fantastic so far. Will update with impression later.

Edit: Impressions on the Picture quality not the movie. Since the movie will always be awesome.

Bought it this morning.
One of my favourite movies, i've lost count of how many times i've watched it since i was a child.

And somehow, i've never noticed the falling stars during the night scenes on the boat...

I guess that's Blu ray magic.

I got my copy today. There are many scenes I look forward to seeing on my TV, but I honestly want to just skip straight to the USS Indianapolis scene.

Shadybiz

Oh man..should be getting my copy today. I'm supposed to have my family over on Sunday to watch it, as we're all Jaws-heads..I don't know if I can wait until then!

He is not wrong, Universal are apparently 'mulling over' a Jaws 3D remake...

As I said, I'm out of the loop and didn't read the thread but

It took them so long to get Jaws out on BR.. I am just assuming with a logical guess that a re make of some sort is going to happen. It's the trend to make good movies into bad re-makes

Tobor

He is not wrong, Universal are apparently 'mulling over' a Jaws 3D remake...

I woud rather be shot out of a cannon into a tank filled with actual sharks than watch something like that. Hopefully they drop the idea.

As for the BR, we watched it last night. Truly amazing.

Just got back from theatrical screening.

HOLY FUCK is this movie good on the big screen. Especially with a primed audience. Everybody obviously already loved the film, yet the whole theatre still got caught out by the ol' dead fisherman in the boat scare!

DEM TITTIES are also clear as day.

We also screened an exclusive 15 minute preview of INSIDE JAWS which is from the same guy who did Raiding the Lost Ark and the Star Wars filmumentaries.

Great night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom