• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez's Rumblings: Next Xbox will sport Qualcomm's NPU for handling some AI tasks, such as automatic Super Resolution

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...-is-becoming-increasingly-clear-in-the-ai-era

“I've heard the next Xbox will sport Qualcomm's NPU for handling some AI tasks, such as automatic Super Resolution, for example. The next Xbox will also have some form of Copilot, offering guidance in-game without having to use websites like ours (RIP Windows Central).”

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Update:

UPDATE: I previously wrote that the NPU attached to the next Xbox will be from Qualcomm, but this was a misunderstanding on my part. Currently, the manufacturer is unknown at my end, but it's most likely AMD. I regret the misunderstanding here, apologies.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
He saw a few news about MS and AI, and mixed both to pretend he got some special info.
Considering that all CPUs from 2024 forward will have an NPU, this is like looking at a dark cloudy sky and saying it's going to rain.
Pretty much. This is taking what exists today for Windows 11 and saying "I hear the next box coming out in 3-4 years will also have this"

Imtjnotu

So this to me says one of two things,

Next Xbox is for sure using arm,

And I doubt this is a home console. Portability in mind.

Don't think we are dealing with the real next Xbox here

ManaByte

I never thought about that. It is seriously going to damage the ad structure of the internet. Lots of things will cease to be feasible without subscription services

Copilot is fucking great to find stuff online with. It'll summarize it with Wikipedia style citations and everything if you actually want to click on a site to give them the ad impressions they crave.

StereoVsn

Copilot is fucking great to find stuff online with. It'll summarize it with Wikipedia style citations and everything if you actually want to click on a site to give them the ad impressions they crave.
The issue is half the time it’s full of crap and can be wildly inaccurate. I would caution of taking what any Chatbot produces with a grain of salt. That goes double for code production, lol.

RespawnX

Will remix data gathered from these websites without giving them a single dime lol

AI collects data in all areas without the content providers seeing a single penny. This will result in the mass extinction of sites and communities. As a result, no new data will be added, which will lead to a massive collapse in relevance and performance. THAT will be the first AI crash, currently predicted for 2028 ... personally, I'm betting on 2026.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m sure they’ll double down on AI. I have no interest in the proposed Copilot stuff though.

winjer

Gold Member

I use BingChat with some frequency, with good results. Better than Gemini.
But I disabled Copilot on Widows 11. That is just spyware, permanently running in the background.

GHG

Gold Member
Gemini is. Haven't had that problem with Copilot.

I see posts like this and it makes it abundantly clear why we are racing towards an information crisis borne out of AI.

All of these AI systems (which let's be frank, are nothing more than glorified chatbots at this stage) are prone to error.

Blindly trust what they spit out at your own peril.

ManaByte

I see posts like this and it makes it abundantly clear why we are racing towards an information crisis borne out of AI.

All of these AI systems (which let's be frank, are nothing more than glorified chatbots at this stage) are prone to error.

Well this shows you don't know what you're arguing about. There's a difference between asking it to generate shit and the web search summaries it gives.

2DhNblB.png

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Well this shows you don't know what you're arguing about. There's a difference between asking it to generate shit and the web search summaries it gives.

Even if you're asking for web search summaries they can and do coalate information from inaccurate/untrusted sources.

The models they are trained on is literally the Internet itself. Do you trust everything you read on the internet?

ManaByte

Even if you're asking for web search summaries they can and do coalate information from inaccurate/untrusted sources.

The models they are trained on is literally the Internet itself. Do you trust everything you read on the internet?

Again, Gemini just takes BS and makes word salad of Reddit posts. Look at what I posted above, this has citations and links to the sites so you can verify it if it doesn't seem right.

In any cases a Qualcomm npu would be for a handheld device similar to Steam box. The most powerful Qualcomm NPU is currently rated at 45 TOPs. Which would be barely enough to reconstruct something from a rather low resolution using AI upscaling.

The vast majority of those AI systems are programmed to lie.

GHG

Gold Member
Again, Gemini just takes BS and makes word salad of Reddit posts. Look at what I posted above, this has citations and links to the sites so you can verify it if it doesn't seem right.

That's not all Gemini does, but ok.

The image you posted is proving my point. Most people aren't going to look at the citations, nevermind go a step further and actually click on the links to:

a) verify whether or not the summary the AI is providing is accurate or not.

And

b) verify whether or not the information being cited in the article itself is accurate or not.

Effectively you're just putting yourself another layer away from source (and another layer away from fact/truth). You are trusting a system that has been taught to blindly trust the information it is fed, and is taught to deliver that information as fact. It's Chinese whispers on steroids. If you can't see where the problem lies here then I can't help you.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Microsoft’s marriage with ARM is deeper than I thought. I figured they were just hedging, but it appears they’re fully committed.

SHA

AI NPCs in the matrix demo are a bunch of trolls and it's hilarious.

Last edited:
The accuracy of responses on Gen AI solutions such as Copilot, Gemini or ChatGPT depends mostly on your skills with prompting. People tend to use those solutions as a search bar or a text messaging app, and the don’t work like thT.

MS is the most advanced gaming platform when it comes to GAI, time will tell

Doesn't make sense.

AMD's next-gen RDNA micro-arch will be designed for highly parallel, very high throughput low precision math. So will be way more efficient for doing super-resolution, rather than having to move the buffers into main memory to be acted on by a separate NPU.

Top Bottom