• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job interview: Is this a good sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
After an hour and a half of the interview, I'm getting ready to go when the guy asks me if I wanna take a look around. He then takes like 30 minutes showing me around and showing me where everything is.

This is only my 2nd "real job" interview ever and the first was pretty much guaranteed before the interview. Is there anyway I DON'T get this job or am I reading too much into this?

ShadowRed

Banned
I'm sure that if the guy didn't at least have you in mind that he wouldn't have given you a walk around. I would take this as a good sign. What type of job are you apllying for, don't need the name of the company or anything, just was type of work will you be doing?

Phoenix

Having hired a considerable number of people in my time I can say that this is a good sign. Send a thank you card to your interviewer because unless they have someone else in mind or you get crazy with money, showing you around is a good indication that things went well. I spend more of my time showing peopel the elevators than showing them around - that's for certain.

Chrono

Banned
Phoenix said:
I spend more of my time showing peopel the elevators than showing them around - that's for certain.

rumsfeld.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
If hired I'd be joining the IT group of a software devlopment company. Assisting the Network Admin (he's the one who interviewed me) is what I'd be doing...

edit: I feel even more confident now lol :D

Pimpwerx

An hour and a half? Damn. Sounds like you got it going on though. Generally, if they ask you for references or start showing around and asking you about what you think of certain job-related tasks, then they want you. PEACE.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
the last place i had an interview at one guy gave me a tour.. mind you.. they do top secret government stuff.. and i saw some of that (i had to sign a waver) ..

didnt get the job.. turns out his boss (who didnt even interview me) decided on someone else..

but the guy told me to keep in touch and be on the look out for other job openings..

:/

Acrylamid

quadriplegicjon said:
they do top secret government stuff.. and i saw some of that (i had to sign a waver) ..
If there were grey aliens, don't answer to this post and we both know what you saw.

And if you answer, I'll assume they were green.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I once got shown around after an interview and it must have taken about an hour, but I still didn't get it.

I think I was probably the best candidate up to then, but someone better was interviewed after me.

So it's a good sign, but don't get your hopes too high.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I've been shown around and introduced one by one to team members and not gotten a job. I wouldn't put much faith in that portion of an interview. What is more promising is having a 90 minute interview. That sounds like you are at least a finalist. People don't spend that long in an interview unless you're in serious consideration.

SKluck

Banned
I don't really think it can give you an indication either way. The roughly 3 or 4 job interviews I've had where they did show me around the place and what I would be doing, I never got the job. Places I HAVE gotten the job, they didn't show me around until they actually hired me.

Take that however you like.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
SKluck said:
I don't really think it can give you an indication either way. The roughly 3 or 4 job interviews I've had where they did show me around the place and what I would be doing, I never got the job. Places I HAVE gotten the job, they didn't show me around until they actually hired me.

Take that however you like.
I've heard the same of being "shown around", unfortunately.

belgurdo

Banned
My father has been looking for a job for the past year or so, and of the 20 or so times he's been interviewed, about five were of the "talk for a long time and get toured" type, and he STILL didn't get hired

I just recently had a job interview. I don't think I got the job (asked for too high a salary I think) but it took around an hour and a half to get through. Didn't get shown around either. Man, my life sucks. Going to a job fair this Tuesday. I need a damn job! :(

AirBrian

It's a good sign, but you can't predict future candidates.

Like it's been said, send a thank you letter. If you need to clarify or add to any responses you feel you lacked in the interview, it's the perfect way. You can also remind them why they should hire you.

Good luck.

Doth Togo

Phoenix said:
Send a thank you card to your interviewer because unless they have someone else in mind or you get crazy with money, showing you around is a good indication that things went well.

IAWTP.

Sorry you didn't get the position. Don't fret, more will be on the way!

Onwards and upwards!

And next time, show them who's boss.

132803.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
Eh, I didn't send a thank you card. Maybe I'll start doing that if I don't get one of the other 2 jobs I interviewed for after that lol

Cloudy

Banned
Speaking of the other interviews....lol. Should I read anything to this:

- The first one lasted like 25 minutes and it seemed really fast :\

- The other one was a group kind of interview with A LOT of other folks (they are hiring 22 folks to staff a new tech support center). After the initial presentation and written test, they gave us seperate interviews with an oral test. I noticed that there was a 2nd part after that next test that they were having some folks do but others like myself were allowed to go. I aced the tests so are they letting me go cos they know I'm extremely qualified or what? The way it was, you couldn't really talk to anyone else after the oral test except you waited in the parking lot and I thought that was silly so I left. I've got really good vibes about this one. ^_^ Then again, look what happened with the other job lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Every job interview where I have been given the 'tour before you go' has resulted in me not getting the job. 'Cept recently where I was offered the job, but I turned it down.

calder

iapetus said:
Did you send a thankyou card? If so, you didn't get the job because he thought you were creepy.

Haha, it's just not done here either. A followup phone call is pushing it, but except here in GAF I had never even heard of it being done. I asked my mom (who worked in finance/HR at the corp here until recently) if ppl send thank you letters for getting interviewed and she said not that she's never seen it. Maybe at the executive level when there are lawyers and placement pros involved in contract negotiations.

She does however stress the followup phone call whenever someeone applies for a job, but I resist. Just doesn't feel right, and one of the few times I did it they sounded surprised and vaguely alarmed that I had called back to express more interest in the job I had just interviewed/tested for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom