• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jubilee gets ongoing comic book (Eat it, nomo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnordChan

Robert Kirkman? Sure, I'll give it a shot.

1jube1_th.jpg

I'm guessing the inevitable Wolverine guest appearance happens by issue two.

FnordChan

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Forget inevitable... she should have just became Wolverine's permanent sidekick again... they were always great together.

tenchir

I wonder when she's getting the secondary mutation that everyone else went through? Her fireworks power isn't that intimidating when fighting villains.

If they followed continuity then Jubilee would be capable of exploding matter on the subatomic level. But for the longest time shes been the 14 year old with streamers shooting out of her hands.

Teh Hamburglar said:
If they followed continuity then Jubilee would be capable of exploding matter on the subatomic level. But for the longest time shes been the 14 year old with streamers shooting out of her hands.

I'd thought they went a little deeper into her powers during Gen X.

But then I haven't read those issues in quite a while.

nomoment

tenchir said:
If a comic book like Spider Girl reaches 70+ and is still on going, what makes you think this will do bad?
The difference between THIS title and Spider-Girl is a large one.

1. Spider-Girl has an insane cult following. Readers were sending in hundreds of hand-written letters to Marvel when the title got 'cancelled' the first time.
2. Spider-Girl was first released during a time where Marvel could support these crappy titles -- hence, the first 35 or so issues had no chance of getting cancelled.

And another kicker, Spider-Girl hasn't been renewed for another 12 issues, IIRC. So expect cancellation announcements sooner or later.

And to note, some recent solo Marvel titles that have been cancelled:

Namor - After 12 issues
Thanos - After 12 issues
Hawkeye - After 8 issues

Marvel is ready to announce the Silver Surfer cancellation (it's reached cancellation numbers), and Captain Marvel got cancelled a few months ago.

Do you honestly think Jubilee can survive? I don't think so.

SHE WILL SURVIVE! IF SHE IS NAKED!

....or a more likely situation where wolverine shows up and saves her flatlining comic book.

tenchir

I think it can. When I heard about Spider-Girl first, I thought to myself CANCELED. But it turned out to be a cult hit, why not the same for Jubilee? I think it will do faily well, have you thought that Jubilee might appeal to the same people who buy Spider-Girl?

nomoment

tenchir said:
I think it can. When I heard about Spider-Girl first, I thought to myself CANCELED. But it turned out to be a cult hit, why not the same for Jubilee? I think it will do faily well, have you thought that Jubilee might appeal to the same people who buy Spider-Girl?
Dude, as I've said before, Spider-Girl was first released in a different time... there were more comic book readers then, and the market was different. So, it really had NO chance to get cancelled during it's first 35 issues. It wasn't after the first 35 that the comic industry hit a big slump (which we're still pretty much in right now).

Sure, Spider-Girl readers might clamor to Jubilee, but there aren't enough Spider-Girl readers to begin with (approx. 25 000?). Just trust me on this one, there isn't a market to support a Jubilee title.

The only way for Marvel to really keep this title going is by the way of the manga. Of course, direct to manga digests (before publishing the floppies) probably isn't going to happen anytime soon...

I barely remember Jubilee even being in the AoA...

And didnt Jubilee fry these two thugs in an unusual boost of power in one of the Wolverine issues? I remember her talking to these two guys (who may or may not have killed her parents?) on like a cliff or something, and she got really angry, raised her arms and blasted ths shit out of the two guys. Her "fireworks" came out like a stream of colorful energy, and I remember the guys being reduced to ash or something.

Its been a long time since I read that comic, but for some reason I remember that scene and have thought it odd that ever since (especially during Gen X when the writers seemed to de-age Jubilee) Jubilee has never exhibited such power.

Even though I like Jubilee as a character...I give this comic no more than 12 issues...more likely, it'll last 8. They should have just done a miniseries or something.

tenchir

Look, you speaking as if you are talking for the whole comic community. Marvel wouldn't have given Jubilee her own comic series if they didn't think it will do well. They must have receive mails and stuff from fans requesting it, if they think they could do another Spider-Girl hit based on those request, then why shouldn't they? Like you said, the market is different, may be readers or new readers want comics like Jubilee and Spider-Girl. Do you collect Spider-Girl comics or comics like it? You obviously aren't one the audience they are aiming at with the comic.

Comics used to be black and white in the golden years, then they start to become gray, then comes the angst. Now the market seems to be shifting again.

nomoment

tenchir said:
Look, you speaking as if you are talking for the whole comic community. Marvel wouldn't have given Jubilee her own comic series if they didn't think it will do well. They must have receive mails and stuff from fans requesting it, if they think they could do another Spider-Girl hit based on those request, then why shouldn't they? Like you said, the market is different, may be readers or new readers want comics like Jubilee and Spider-Girl. Do you collect Spider-Girl comics or comics like it? You obviously aren't one the audience they are aiming at with the comic.

Comics used to be black and white in the golden years, then they start to become gray, then comes the angst. Now the market seems to be shifting again.
I AM speaking for the entire comics community. And trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I understand Marvel's business models, and I understand WHY Marvel's releasing this title.

Marvel takes calculated risks with the majority of their new titles, and they support them until they reach a certain cut-off point, profit-wise. Historically speaking (in a the current market), a title like Jubilee probably won't survive. I've read the sales figures, and know Marvel's cut-off point. This title won't survive. UNLESS... and this is a huge UNLESS, there's a secret society of Jubilee fans (at least 25 000) who will run out and buy this book immediately. And I think we all know there is no secret society. And again, I am speaking for the entire community here!

Jubilee's powers are inhibited because she has such a deep feer of hurting anyone. She allmost killed that guard in Zero Tolerance but made sure he got medical attention before she escaped.

God, I am kind of drunk. llol

DarienA

nomoment said:
Thanos - After 12 issues

<sniff> I knew it was too good to last...

Marvel is ready to announce the Silver Surfer cancellation (it's reached cancellation numbers), and Captain Marvel got cancelled a few months ago.

Well the new Silver Surfer was just f'n WEIRD. As for Marvel, what's the magic # I know an issue is shipping this week... and nomo where's the best place to get a daily dose of comic news?

DarienA

OMG I'm back in for Amazing Spiderman once 509 comes out... gorgeous art and I'm REALLY intrigued by the story.

EDIT: I always thought Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight was a book telling OLD Batman stories... but I see that for an upcoming arc part of the arc takes place in the LoDK book... wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom