• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jujutsu Kaisen is ending on September 30, 2024

Neolombax

Can't say I'm going to miss this, or have any emotion at all. The only reason I'm reading the manga is because I started reading it during the debut. Whats the next shonen to read? Either I'm not looking hard enough or there's nothing good to follow.

Series fell the fuck off hard after Shibuya. The last year has just been watching it get worse and worse, its one of the best selling manga ever and Akutami is extremely spiteful and nasty towards the fans for his story choices.

I used to think it was good but not anymore.

SJRB

Gold Member
Series fell the fuck off hard after Shibuya. The last year has just been watching it get worse and worse, its one of the best selling manga ever and Akutami is extremely spiteful and nasty towards the fans for his story choices.

I used to think it was good but not anymore.

The guy is still so salty that Gojo is everyone's favorite, lol.

Shibuya Incident was S-tier. The pacing, how it tied all characters together, the payoff. Just excellent. The chapters after that were extremely weak. The Culling Games stuff was quite bad, even if the battles were often very cool the overall theme and vibe was way off compared to Shibuya.

I think Gege wants this to end for some time now. The battle with Sukuna has been going on for what, a year now? Crazy.

feynoob

Banned
The guy is still so salty that Gojo is everyone's favorite, lol.

Shibuya Incident was S-tier. The pacing, how it tied all characters together, the payoff. Just excellent. The chapters after that were extremely weak. The Culling Games stuff was quite bad, even if the battles were often very cool the overall theme and vibe was way off compared to Shibuya.

I think Gege wants this to end for some time now. The battle with Sukuna has been going on for what, a year now? Crazy.
He put himself in to the corner by killing most of the characters. The plot is not going anywhere with that kind of writing.

SJRB

Gold Member
In a few days the leaks for the final chapter will come out.

Are you guys ready for either the biggest turd of an ending in recent manga history or the most insane twist you've ever seen?

Last couple of chapters are just... wtf. My personal theory is there's no way it's real. It's a cursed technique or a domain expansion or whatever. It's just too dumb to be real.

SJRB

Gold Member
Final chapter leaked and, yeah... It's not good. No twist, no revelation, zero closure. Ton of questions and subplots left unanswered. Unbelievable fumble of an otherwise god-tier manga. What a bizarre ending. It is extremely obvious Gege was beyond done and wanted this to be over as soon as possible, resolutions be damned.

Subreddit and X fanbase meltdown.

No one acknowledging Gojo's death, mourning him or having a burial is just absolutely crazy. We don't even know what happened to his body. Especially considering he's one of the only ones who actually died fighting Sukuna.

Urban

Peaked with Shibuya. One of the best Arcs ever written. The Culling game and the aftermath reminded me very much of Bleach.
The amount of deus ex machinas and asspulls that the last arc showed was insane.

Reactions: Fbh

chromhound

Final chapter leaked and, yeah... It's not good. No twist, no revelation, zero closure. Ton of questions and subplots left unanswered. Unbelievable fumble of an otherwise god-tier manga. What a bizarre ending. It is extremely obvious Gege was beyond done and wanted this to be over as soon as possible, resolutions be damned.

No one acknowledging Gojo's death, mourning him or having a burial is just absolutely crazy. We don't even know what happened to his body. Especially considering he's one of the only ones who actually died fighting Sukuna.
I hope there's a part two lol

Spyxos

Gold Member

Uff that doesn't sound very good, I stopped somewhere at culling games, I couldn't really follow and it wasn't interesting anymore.

Shonens and shit endings, name a more iconic duo.
I partially put the blame on Viz Media, Toei, and Shonen Jump. These fast deadlines and monetary deals to stretch out a property for as long as possible (when the author already felt done with it ages ago) are part of the problem.

It's why I don't blame certain creators for doing what they can to circumvent the usual process in order to try and appeal directly to streaming services or more independent media.

SJRB

Gold Member
Uff that doesn't sound very good, I stopped somewhere at culling games, I couldn't really follow and it wasn't interesting anymore.

Can't blame you, Culling games arc was pretty bad, I disliked almost all of it. The story is ridiculous, the break-neck pace of introducing new characters that are almost all uninteresting, it's just a mess especially after the incredible Shibuya Incident.

There's like 15 pages of exposition just to explain the rules of the Culling Games, it's ridiculous. Needlessly convoluted and adds nothing to the overall experience.

Hugare

Can't blame you, Culling games arc was pretty bad, I disliked almost all of it. The story is ridiculous, the break-neck pace of introducing new characters that are almost all uninteresting, it's just a mess especially after the incredible Shibuya Incident.

There's like 15 pages of exposition just to explain the rules of the Culling Games, it's ridiculous. Needlessly convoluted and adds nothing to the overall experience.
This is JJK in a nutshell.

When the manga stoped sometimes mid fight to explain some bullshit power I sighed. Man, who cares? Its all ridiculous anyways. I dont need to understand the science behind the Kamehameha. Its cool and explode shit, its all that I need to know.

Truth is, Gege is horrible as a storyteller. And the dialogue was the worst that I've read in any manga. Dunno if there were stuff lost in translation, but it was borderline incomprehensible sometimes.

Heard somewhere that he fired his editor shortly after the Shibuya arch, and well, it showed.

The amount of storylines that he left on the table while wasting 4 chapters of filler for the ending is just ...

Even Season 8 from GoT was better than this

Fbh

Yeah the ending has been pretty underwhelming, but then again I also agree with the people saying it peaked with the Shibuya arc, so the bland ending hasn't exactly been surprising.
The last arc didn't do much for me on any level: plot, characters, fights, art.

It was honestly hard to follow at times with convoluted setups and story beats. A lot of the fights were also walls of text explaining convoluted abilities only for the next chapter to be another wall of text explaining some convoluted ass pull reason as to why the previous convoluted ability didn't work.

Shonens and shit endings, name a more iconic duo.

It's not a general rule or anything but I've often felt Japanese media in general sort of struggles with endings.
Plenty of Seinen manga also have pretty underwhelming ending (it's something that, for example, I've always found Naoki Urasawa struggles with)

Same with videogames. Just recently two big JRPG's, FFXVI and Xenoblade Chronicles 3, had stories I was really enjoying but both ended on a sour note with really underwhelming and half assed endings.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Dude had Uraume and Hakari fight off-screen for like 20 chapters (!!!) only for it to end with a two-page "O shit I lost" "Yeah that's a bummer. Anyway, bye".

I partially put the blame on Viz Media, Toei, and Shonen Jump. These fast deadlines and monetary deals to stretch out a property for as long as possible (when the author already felt done with it ages ago) are part of the problem.

It's why I don't blame certain creators for doing what they can to circumvent the usual process in order to try and appeal directly to streaming services or more independent media.
Yeah, it's the commoditization of art, and the horrible working conditions mangaka are put under.

That's why the only shonen I have any faith in having a good ending is Hunter x Hunter, if we're lucky enough to get an ending. Togashi doesn't give a fuck, and rightfully so.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
We just finished watching season 2 of the anime ... so people are saying that's about as good as it gets?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yeah the ending has been pretty underwhelming, but then again I also agree with the people saying it peaked with the Shibuya arc, so the bland ending hasn't exactly been surprising.
The last arc didn't do much for me on any level: plot, characters, fights, art.

It was honestly hard to follow at times with convoluted setups and story beats. A lot of the fights were also walls of text explaining convoluted abilities only for the next chapter to be another wall of text explaining some convoluted ass pull reason as to why the previous convoluted ability didn't work.

It's not a general rule or anything but I've often felt Japanese media in general sort of struggles with endings.
Plenty of Seinen manga also have pretty underwhelming ending (it's something that, for example, I've always found Naoki Urasawa struggles with)

Same with videogames. Just recently two big JRPG's, FFXVI and Xenoblade Chronicles 3, had stories I was really enjoying but both ended on a sour note with really underwhelming and half assed endings.

When a series is that good like Jujutsu Kaisen Season 1-2, it's very hard to make an ending that satisfies fans

Doom85

When a series is that good like Jujutsu Kaisen Season 1-2, it's very hard to make an ending that satisfies fans

I’m honestly struggling to think of an action Shonen that ended strongly that I read/watched, or I didn’t read/watch but heard many say did end strongly.

-DBZ’s Buu Saga is considered by most including myself the weakest saga.
-I’ve not finished Naruto, but I know few were satisfied with the final war, or at least most of it.
-Bleach’s Thousand Year War goes downhill in its second half based on what I’ve heard.
-One Piece, D. Gray Man, Blue Exorcist, Black Clover, Chainsaw Man, and Kaiju no. 8 are still ongoing.
-I know most don’t seem to feel this way about Soul Eater supposedly (I assume, some I feel just assume the manga’s ending is better than the anime’s without actually having read the manga), but I found the final third (so like roughly vol. 18-25 of the 25 volumes) of Soul Eater really lackluster compared to the first two thirds, kinda killed my interest in a Soul Eater “Brotherhood”
-Negima has one of the most massively disappointing endings I’ve ever read
-I’ve heard most of the final arc of Demon Slayer is actually good, it’s just the final fight itself is a letdown
-I’ve never even started My Hero Academia at all, but most seem to be meh about the final arc

I guess Fullmetal Alchemist is the sole exception. Also, while I haven’t seen much JoJo, I know despite the manga still being ongoing that Part 6 is the “ending” to the main timeline or something like that, and as far as I know most seemed to like Part 6 well enough.

I guess Gintama also ended well enough I assume? At least I don’t remember any outrage from the fans.

Edit: I forgot Hunter x Hunter, but I really doubt we’ll ever see an ending to that, or if we do it’ll be rushed as hell

Last edited:
We just finished watching season 2 of the anime ... so people are saying that's about as good as it gets?
Yes. Next arc is a trash fake BR arc with a bunch of new characters introduced with once again little development put into them and a bunch of events transpire that have zoomer pacing. Reading it I had such a hard time processing it. It felt like 10 chapters of material put into as few as possible.

After that it's the final battle and reading it weekly it was the biggest meme ever.

Hopefully Kagurabachi doesn't drop in quality.

I considered jujutsu season 2 just some of the best tv ever, regardless of anime. Very rarely do I rewatch a show but season 2 is something else

There's the super rare chance that the author, along with the animation team, decide to do some rewrites or touch-ups of events in order to improve it.

I’m honestly struggling to think of an action Shonen that ended strongly that I read/watched, or I didn’t read/watch but heard many say did end strongly.
When you look up 'best shonen anime' in a search engine you're going to be surprised like I was, because some of the top 100 are going to be shows that never really reached peak Toonami/DBZ/Naruto levels of popularity, like Hajime No Ippo for example.

Doom85

When you look up 'best shonen anime' in a search engine you're going to be surprised like I was, because some of the top 100 are going to be shows that never really reached peak Toonami/DBZ/Naruto levels of popularity, like Hajime No Ippo for example.

Well, I specified action Shonen. Hajime would be sports Shonen. Just like there’s a bunch of romance Shonen for that matter.

Well, I specified action Shonen. Hajime would be sports Shonen. Just like there’s a bunch of romance Shonen for that matter.
Fair point, I was mainly trying to point out that I don't think action shonen itself is broken like some claim. I just think that some of the better written action shonen out there are not going to be in the vicinity of the big 3 in popularity.

I think popularity is the curse that ruins certain shonen that have a rather strong start.

Top Bottom