• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

MC Safety

So what exactly is the point of the Mae Young Classic? The other two tournaments they did crowned new champions. What's the prize here. Just a trophy? Does the winner get a contract or something?

To remind us all of the greatness of a woman who lived to be 366 years old and also once gave birth to a human hand.

Draxal

So what exactly is the point of the Mae Young Classic? The other two tournaments they did crowned new champions. What's the prize here. Just a trophy? Does the winner get a contract or something?

To basically refill a roster that was hit pretty hard by the brand split.

TJP was purely because other people weren't signed.

I could see I could see Toni Storm, Kaiji Hojo, Mercedes Martinez and Mia Yim going far. I'm not sure if Mia Yim or Santana Garrett are signed but Kaiji Hojo and Toni Stom are (I think). Also, I'd put Sarah Logan (former Crazy Mary) up there.

They have lots of signed names in this tournament unlike the CWC to choose from.

Don't think Storm is signed (but I think she will be the winner).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This woman tournament seems like a after thought especially when compared to the Crusierweights classic.

Except the women draw ratings and someone like Toni Storm is going to be a big star in the company, whereas literally no one in the Cruiserweight Classic is anything other than D-tier.

Raw64life

Don't think Storm is signed (but I think she will be the winner).

They'll probably do the same thing they did with Ibushi/Sabre. Push them, but also give them a deadline to sign a contract and if they don't sign by the deadline, they're losing their next match.

Recall

Except the women draw ratings and someone like Toni Storm is going to be a big star in the company, whereas literally no one in the Cruiserweight Classic is anything other than D-tier.

Because they gave them nothing.

WWE made the CWC tournament.
WWE made the utter pointless 205 live and RAW "cruiserweight" division.

It doesn't matter who comes out as a big star if they do fucking nothing with them and use them as time fillers or talent to fill a pointless hour show.

If WWE actually put effort in to 205 like they did with CWC then they wouldn't just be labelled as "d-tier"

Think.

Heroman

Banned
Yeah I am sure this show that is going to release 8 episodes 2 weeks before the finals is going to be a huge draw that has half the talent of the CWC or the UK tournament.

Mahonay

Banned
lol wtf

They put heavy effort into the CWC and 205Live

It just didn't catch
205 Live very much feels like them not trying, or someone along the lines not giving a shit about it.

CWC was a different beast that had actual heart poured into it. I don't even consider CWC directly connected to 205 Live because other than the roster and belt, they are presented entirely different.

Kaladin

They did it entirely to compete with the World of Sport revival, which they genuinely expected to be a thing

Now it is pretty much on hold till the deal with Progress and other companies come to fruition to bring their content to the network. I think they would tie that together nicely with their weekly show.

Mahonay

Banned
John Morrison and Marquis Cor Von were bigger stars than any cruiserweight you'll ever see again, including Finn "Too ashamed to get his weight announced because fans will ask why he's not on 205 Live" Balor
What a hot take.

You are
2yxgn07.gif

Draxal

They'll probably do the same thing they did with Ibushi/Sabre. Push them, but also give them a deadline to sign a contract and if they don't sign by the deadline, they're losing their next match.

Storm is an interesting case because she might as well be signed due to her association with Progress.

Storm wants to go to the WWE supposedly and I think its good as done.

As for the cruiserweights vs womens tournament. I think the womens roster is desperate for an influx of not the top of card talent, and hopefully that tournament could provide either that or even better top of the card talent that will push somebody into the midcard.

I just see no way to get the cruiserweights over unless they go faction branding like they did with Tozawa - Titus Brand.

I feel like WWE did a lot more to push the CWC than the MYC so far, unless I've been missing it from watching only on Hulu of late.

I think so too, but I think Ibushi and ZSJ were bigger names then any of the wrestlers in this tournament.

I just see no way to get the cruiserweights over unless they go faction branding like they did with Tozawa - Titus Brand.

I think so too, but I think Ibushi and ZSJ were bigger names then any of the wrestlers in this tournament.

Just put them on RAW or Smackdown, without any goofy ring shit, and let them do their thing. Gallagher is a solid as hell wrestler.

There are some big names in the woman's tournament, probably more so than CWC. I haven't seen all of them but I recognize a lot of the names.

What a hot take.

You are
2yxgn07.gif

The Pounce was a Top 10 finisher, and Morrison did more flips in his finisher than you see in a single 205 Live match

Unless you're calling out my Finn point, in which case: neither man ever hurt themselves, let alone doing their own finisher. His knees will be dust after one double-stomp too many, and it's not even for a good move or crowd pop. The few things I don't like about the modern indies summarized right there in one guy

Kaladin

As for the cruiserweights vs womens tournament. I think the womens roster is desperate for an influx of not the top of card talent, and hopefully that tournament could provide either that or even better top of the card talent that will push somebody into the midcard.

This is true

Mahonay

Banned
The Pounce was a Top 10 finisher, and Morrison did more flips in his finisher than you see in a single 205 Live match

Unless you're calling out my Finn point, in which case: neither man ever hurt themselves, let alone doing their own finisher. His knees will be dust after one double-stomp too many, and it's not even for a good move or crowd pop. The few things I don't like about the modern indies summarized right there in one guy
You clearly don't like Finn and that's fine. His matches are pretty ho-hum a lot of the time. Morrison was more exciting for high flying stuff for sure.

Finn is a draw like it or not. Crowd was chanting "we want Finn" at GBOF. People want to see him.

They will screw it up like they did last time.

How is Raw putting together better PPV cards than Smackdown right now? How is that even possible?

It's the new reality.

Stories they have been working on for a while are finally coming together. Even Roman is starting to click.

I don't like the idea of a Punjabi Prison match. Not looking forward to Smackdown's PPV.

Kaladin

Smackdown is the same place where Jinder holds the WWE Championship. I don't know, you tell me.

I know, but Smackdown has the best collection of talent in one place in the company. They have 5 guys that would legit give them a year of good main events and mid card main events. None of them are named Orton or Mahall.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I am sure this show that is going to release 8 episodes 2 weeks before the finals is going to be a huge draw that has half the talent of the CWC or the UK tournament.

What does that have to do with literally anything?

Mahonay

Banned
I know, but Smackdown has the best collection of talent in one place in the company. They have 5 guys that would legit give them a year of good main events and mid card main events. None of them are named Orton or Mahall.
Smackdown's booking is noticeably worse since the last trading of talent, and even just before. Just an overall less exciting product. Jinder becoming champ didn't help a show that was already starting to stall. There's awesome workers on the show, but it's being presented as B-tier at the moment.

Top Bottom