• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Doom 3 - Got some questions...

suikodan

Two weeks after buying it, I finally beat the game.
The cyberdemon was HUGE but I guess it was too easy. 3-4 hits with the Soulcube and he's gone. As for the ending, I though it was ok even though our soldier looked like he was going crazy and that the evil scientist escaped within a monster form that will spawn either Doom 4 or an expansion (I would prefer the latter).

I really loved the game, I'm kind of sad that I finished it as I liked the experience. I got some questions.

1- I started playing Farcy, is it worth finishing?
2- What good Doom 3 mods should I try now?
3- Co-op mode. Is it real?
4- Higher difficulty. I played it on normal. How exactly is the game more difficult? More enemies? More damage? Etc...?

epmode

suikodan said:
1- I started playing Farcy, is it worth finishing?
i don't know about finishing, but it's definitely worth getting 3/4 through (which is where i am right now.)
suikodan said:
3- Co-op mode. Is it real?
yes, though it's very beta now. give it a few weeks/months to work out the kinks.
suikodan said:
4- Higher difficulty. I played it on normal. How exactly is the game more difficult? More enemies? More damage? Etc...?
enemies do more damage, you do less, different enemies. plus, on nightmare, your life constantly ticks back to 25 (1 hit point per second,) but you start the game with the soul cube.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
epmode said:
i believe this news.

I don't.

Far Cry has too many problems. Some levels were excellent, but most of them were quite dull and poorly balanced. Also, it isn't worth finishing as the last level is terrible and the ending is even worse.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:
I don't.

Far Cry has too many problems. Some levels were excellent, but most of them were quite dull and poorly balanced. Also, it isn't worth finishing as the last level is terrible and the ending is even worse.

Far Cry has dull levels? Doom 3 is full of them, and shitty enemy variety doesn't help either (it's like the level designer got lazy and just started sticking imps everywhere). At least Far Cry keeps it's levels interesting and varied. Mix of massive outdoor areas and creepy indoor action.

Gattsu25

Banned
*sigh*

not this shit again....Doom 3's environments have a fair bit of variety, you get glimpses early on but the major changes start happening after/during the monorail section. It's not the same scale of change as Far Cry's but at least the game stays engaging throughout

and Far Cry's environments were the only thing I really enjoyed in the game

the enemies, animation, scenarios, AI, animation, etc. were very poor

Pimpbaa

Gattsu25 said:
the enemies, animation, scenarios, AI, animation, etc. were very poor

Yes Doom 3's enemies were better designed and animated. But they didn't seem to be that smart (perhaps because they are dead before they show any signs of decent AI), and the scenarios mostly involved running around fixing things while constantly being pestered by imps. The outdoor fire fights in Far Cry showed far more intelligent AI than anything in doom 3.

EmSeta

I liked Far Cry much more than Doom 3. It had more variation, better AI, more impressive environments, and more interesting combat situations. Doom 3 was so dull in the gameplay department.

border

FarCry is so much better than Doom 3. But if you aren't enjoying it and are more than halfway through, I don't know if you will really enjoy the later parts of it.

"Dull and poorly balanced" levels is a pretty silly complaint if it's coming from a Doom 3 fan. D3's levels don't really show any variety until you are like 3/4 of the way through the game. The "story" in both games is relatively stupid. You can at least ignore the narrative elements in FarCry, where as Doom 3 more-or-less forces you to sift through lots of boring audio/text logs.

Top Bottom