• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished reading the Batman Begins script (MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BATMAN BEGINS

SECOND WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BATMAN BEGINS

FINAL WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BATMAN BEGINS

THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. IF YOU READ THIS THREAD YOU WILL READ SPOILERS FOR BATMAN BEGINS. IF YOU DON'T TURN BACK NOW IT'LL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

However, I will not be revealing a major plot twist that involves a major character in the movie. With that said this thread will include a ton of major spoilers, as David Goyer has written the best Batman story to ever be put to the screen.

According to what he said at Comic Con, Warner didn't touch anything. If that is true, we will get the definitive Batman movie next summer.

Basically it combines a "Year One" style story with a somewhat classic Ra's Al Ghul yarn where he wants to destroy the world. To do this he enlists the help of Dr. Crane (the Scarecrow) and his psycho-gas.

The conspiracy is pretty deep involving corrupt Gotham cops and a crime boss, but the basic thing is Crane pollutes the water supply of Gotham with his poison that is only lethal in an airborne form. So, Ra's Al Ghul and his ninjas steal a Wayne Enterprises microwave emitter to basically cook all the water in Gotham and turn the entire city's population into psychotic lunatics to bring the city to the ground in chaos.

Before this happens, Bruce Wayne must first become Batman.

After the death of his parents, and the murder of their killer as he is being released from jail, Bruce travels the world. He ends up in Tibet where he is trained by Ducard under the watchful eye of Ra's Al Ghul. Eventually Bruce returns home and decides the corrupt Gotham needs a symbol and protector. We get to see how Batman got all his wonderful toys, created the suit, and even why the Batmobile resembles the tank version from Dark Knight Returns. He uses his experiences and training from his worldwide trek in becoming the Bat, and most of his toys are from Wayne Enterprises in the basement. They do a very good job explaining how Batman gets the Batmobile and all his other gadgets. Wayne Industries IS a very large company with a lot of defense contracts after all...

The first half of the movie alternates between flashbacks of Bruce as a child and his training with Ducard. Once he becomes Batman, we get a Detective Comic where Batman must put together the pieces and follow the breadcrumbs from a Gotham crime boss and corrupt cops to an insane Doctor and eventually Ra's Al Ghul.

At Comic Con, Goyer said to wait and see what they did with the Batmobile before bashing it, and damn they have an awesome action sequence with it. Basically, Rachel (Katie Holmes' character) is poisoned by the Scarecrow and Batman is rushing her back to the Batcave while being pusued by cops. The Batmobile can jump and there's a car chase scene with the cops on the ground and the Batmobile racing along the rooftops of Gotham. It sounds really cool on paper.

The final battle between Batman and Ra's Al Ghul may remind some people of Spider-Man 2 as it takes place on a monorail train, but the finale to the scene in Batman is much bigger than the awesome train scene in Spidey.

When this movie ends, people will want to see the sequel immediately. The final scene sets up the second movie's villain without mentioning his name in a way that'll have Batman fans doing backflips. Hell, the final dialog between Gordan and Batman is just awesome:

GORDON
I never said thank you.

Batman looks out at the lights of Gotham. Cloak billowing around him.

BATMAN
And you'll never have to.

Batman DROPS from the rooftop, GLIDING on the night wind.

Gordon smiles. He can't help it.

FADE OUT.

Batman fans will worship this movie in the same way Superman fans worship Donner's Superman. It is the best telling of the Batman mythos ever written for the screen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HalfPastNoon said:
fuck yea. thanks, mana. anyway, who's going to be the villian in the sequel? can you spoiler tag it?

Gordon fishes in his pocket.

GORDON (CONT'D)
Take this guy...

He pulls out a clear plastic evidence bag.

GORDON (CONT'D)
...armed robbery, double homicide...

Inside the clear plastic bag is a PLAYING CARD.

GORDON (CONT'D)
Got a taste for theatrics, like you...

Gordon hands Batman the bag.

GORDON (CONT'D)
Leaves a calling card.

Batman turns the card over.

It is a JOKER.

BATMAN
I'll look into it.

FoneBone

That's going to be such a great ending (although it's pretty similar to the end of Miller's Year One). I'm sure that was deliberate, though.

chimpychi

boy%20thumbs%20up.jpg

fuck yeah!

karasu said:
the batmobile scene sounds retarded.

fuckign shit. how many times MUST YOU SAY THAT?? we get it already. you don't like the batmobile, or the scenes about it, even though it's a big part of batman history. get off it, shit...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That does sound awesome, I'm very surprised this movie is shaping so well. I was starting to think that Warner Bros could never be trusted with any DC license ever again. And I love it when the villian for the sequel is set up, very cool.

karasu

HalfPastNoon said:
fuckign shit. how many times MUST YOU SAY THAT?? we get it already. you don't like the batmobile, or the scenes about it, even though it's a big part of batman history. get off it, shit...

do I know you?

ManaByte said:
Batman fans will worship this movie in the same way Superman fans worship Donner's Superman. It is the best telling of the Batman mythos ever written for the screen.

i think that Burton came very close as to Batman should have been.

According to IMDB, they say Burton wanted to turn the movie into the Dark Knight returns.
WB opted to reintroduce the character before making him an old man.

Nobody can deny that Burton's Batman was awesome.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The Bookerman said:

Not really.

As Kevin Smith said, "... Burton always said he never read comic books. And well, I guess that explains Batman."

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Bookerman said:

According to IMDB, they say Burton wanted to turn the movie into the Dark Knight returns.
WB opted to reintroduce the character before making him an old man.

Nobody can deny that Burton's Batman was awesome.

Burton's Batman sucks. Burton's Batman Returns is slightly better thanks to the Walken element. The last four Batman movies focused on the villains and Batman was basically a supporting character to the big name actors they got to play the super villains.

In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne/Batman is the focus of the story. He's what drives the story forward, not some big-name star as the token villain. It also nails the grim tone of the character, something Burton tried to do and failed and something Satan had no idea about when he directed the last two movies.

And if the current casting rumors for
Joker
pan out it looks like they'll be doing the same thing for the sequel where they don't let a big name star as a villain become the focus of the movie. They had better let Goyer write the second one though. If Warner plays their cards right, this new Batman series could do for DC movies what Spidey is doing for Marvel.

Willco

Hollywood Square
So you, the almigty one himself, with all the connections and whatnot, just finally got the script or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom