• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a Linksys router, what can I do to make things go faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

Ok, I just got myself a Linksys router the other day, and I'm wondering if there's any way I can configure it (i.e. opening certain ports) to make some of my programs run faster, namely stuff like PC ganes, Kazaa, Soulseek and Bittorrent?

fart

Savant
actually you're going to have to open ports for slsk and bt. check your configs for what ports these apps listen on and thus what you need to open.

mattx5

How can I access my router config files? Where are they usually stored? I didn't install it through the CD, I chose to do it manually, so I'm not sure where it stored everything.

fart

Savant
no your application configs

if you're running slsk 154test1 it set a random listening port when you first set it up.

bt default is different per client build

mattx5

Um, I'm not exactly sure how to do that, I'm not really smart when it comes to computers.

And if I'm d/ling something using BT right now, will I mess it up by testing various ports?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
type

192.168.1.1 in your web browser's address field.

That will take you to the router config template. The default password is 'admin'. No user name.

mattx5

5.gif

So which of those does an app like Bittorrent use?

Edit - Ok, so first I have to set up a static IP. But then how do I figure out whether BT is TCP or UDP, and what ports it uses??

Che

Banned
mattx5 said:
5.gif

So which of those does an app like Bittorrent use?

Actually you'll write the port you want to open there. You usually use ip address 192.168.1.20 and if you're using azureus you must only open port 6881 TCP and UDP.

mattx5

Ok, I'm using Bit Tornado, where do I have to go to figure out what port it requires to be opened? Is there like an info file?

Che

Banned
mattx5 said:
Ok, I'm using Bit Tornado, where do I have to go to figure out what port it requires to be opened? Is there like an info file?

Search on google keywords like "port forward", "port forwarding" or "open ports" adding the name of the program you wanna use. That'll do the job. Sometimes it's included on the help file of the program.

andthebeatgoeson

http://bittornado.com/faq.html
BitTorrent operates best when it has a TCP server port open, and defaults to open it at 6881 or higher (you can change this in Prefs).

Usually, you can do 6881 to 6999. For my old Linksys, there was another option on that forwarding tab that allowed you to set a range of ports to open. See if you have one at the end of that page you provided a pic of, for 'port range'.

mattx5

Che said:
Actually you'll write the port you want to open there. You usually use ip address 192.168.1.20 and if you're using azureus you must only open port 6881 TCP and UDP.

Ok, I read the FAQ and it said that BT uses ports 6881 to 6999 and that it's TCP, but it didn't say anything about using .20 at the end of my IP address??

Edit- So it should look like this?

ports.JPG

andthebeatgoeson

Pretty much. Do this:

Go to 'Start' button.
Click 'Run'
Enter 'cmd' without the quotes
Click 'Enter'
Type in 'ipconfig' without the quotes and hit enter
It'll show you your IP address. That's the Ip address that you want to enter.

However, the problem comes about if your router is 'DHCP' enabled. If there are other computers connected to the router, your router will assign IP addresses to all of them, including yours. It'll assign them in varying order, usually when you turn off your computer and another turns on. Meaning, they turn on, then request an IP address from the router in order to connect to the internet.

Your router sends any info that is requested out to the internet and when that info comes back, it needs a 'roadmap' to get that to your computer and not the other computers. So you need to know that if you have DHCP enabled, you're IP address might change at times. You'll either have to check from time to time and change the forwarding info, meaning retype in your new ip address when you get a different one or enable static ip's. It's up to you. Like I said, on one of those tabs, it'll give you a link to a manual in PDF form. That'll answer a lot of your questions. But don't hesitate to ask here.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why would you not want to be using DHCP?

You can have static IPs with DHCP enabled. Just block off a series/scope that you want to reserve.

andthebeatgoeson

Ooh, but how, DCB? Just change the dhcp range and manually insert it in your network TCP/IP properties? Or is there a better way to assign a static ip to a computer thru the router's software?

And if you have to plug the static ip address into your connection properties, what about your DNS addresses? Usually, mine change, I think. And it doesn't seem to allow you to insert a static ip AND automatically detect the DNS numbers. But maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.

rc213

skinnyrattler said:
Ooh, but how, DCB? Just change the dhcp range and manually insert it in your network TCP/IP properties? Or is there a better way to assign a static ip to a computer thru the router's software?

And if you have to plug the static ip address into your connection properties, what about your DNS addresses? Usually, mine change, I think. And it doesn't seem to allow you to insert a static ip AND automatically detect the DNS numbers. But maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.

Check out that pic, i have it setup to allow 3 pc to use the DHCP path. Then for static ip's u start by using the next ip after 192.168.1.1 for your pc's. So my main pc is 192.168.1.2/DNS:192.168.1.1

Phoenix

Do linksys routers support reserving an address for a MAC address like Netgear (kickass) routers? If so you should be able to specify that your particular machine will always be assigned the same IP address. otherwise you'll have to change the routing table all the time.

Che

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Why would you not want to be using DHCP?

You can have static IPs with DHCP enabled. Just block off a series/scope that you want to reserve.

I don't know why but having DHCP server enabled has caused me some of the most annoying problems including changing my internal IP (192.16.1.20 usually) automatically and screwing my whole configuration.

Phoenix

Che said:
I don't know why but having DHCP server enabled has caused me some of the most annoying problems including changing my internal IP (192.16.1.20 usually) automatically and screwing my whole configuration.

You OS is likely setup to renew its DHCP lease. If your OS asks for a new DHCP address, the DHCP server will oblidge it - another reason to reserve a particular address for that machine. I recall having this functionality on my old 802.11b Linksys router - I do notice that is was a LOT easier to configure in the netgear. Thumb through your docs for something called address reservation or LAN IP Setup.

andthebeatgoeson

Thanks guys.

So in your connection properties, it uses your local router ip address as the DNS address, not the DNS to your ISP. Ok, thanks, that's gonna be useful sometime.

I just checked ipconfig and figured it out.

Che

Banned
Phoenix said:
You OS is likely setup to renew its DHCP lease. If your OS asks for a new DHCP address, the DHCP server will oblidge it - another reason to reserve a particular address for that machine. I recall having this functionality on my old 802.11b Linksys router - I do notice that is was a LOT easier to configure in the netgear. Thumb through your docs for something called address reservation or LAN IP Setup.

Thanks for the info, but I've configured my whole windows setup and router without the DHCP server and it works great. Plus I'm afraid that if I change anything I'll go back to that nightmare I've lived during the first month I bought my router.

rc213

skinnyrattler said:
Thanks guys.

So in your connection properties, it uses your local router ip address as the DNS address, not the DNS to your ISP. Ok, thanks, that's gonna be useful sometime.

I just checked ipconfig and figured it out.

Works well for me, u can use your ISP's DNS but if they change u will have to update. This way the router picks it up automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom