• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just saw Spider-Man 2: Questions for Spidey Fans!! (no spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

john tv

OK guys, just got back from the Japan premiere of Spider-Man 2, and now I've got a few questions.

First, for those who will undoubtedly ask: the movie was, IMO, very very good. I had kinda low expectations again (not sure why, maybe because licensed stuff like this is never a safe bet), but I came out very satisfied. It's a lot like the first movie overall, though the pacing is a little bit slower until about midway through. From one particular point on, though, it really picks up and stays exciting straight through to the end (which kicked ass, BTW).

So, that said, I have a couple of general Spider-Man questions:

1. What's the best way to go back and re-read all the old ASMs? Back when I was like 15, there were Marvel Masterworks collections... do these still exist? Is there something better now? Fill me in, please!

2. Dr. Octopus... what's his story in the comic? I'm not going to spoil anything or talk about what happens in the movie; I'm just curious what his origin was in the comic, as I honestly can't remember. Also, is he still around? If so, what's he up to? If not, how did they write him out? Just curious, really.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks for any help!

BTW, check out the killer freebie they gave out at the Japan premiere:

108823495120040625_2326_0000.jpg

Good times!

Tritroid

Occupation: Former atomic-research consultant, criminal mastermind
Identity: Publicly known
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record
Place of Birth: Schenectady, New York
Group Affiliation: former leader of the Sinister Six I
Base of Operations: New York City
First Appearance: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #3 Vol. 1

History: Once he was Otto Octavius, a brilliant and respected scientist who had designed a set of robotic arms to aid his research into atomic physics. But a freak laboratory accident exposed Octavius to intense radioactivity, grafting his mechanical appendages to his body and granting him complete telepathic control over them. Worst of all, the accident altered Octavius' mind, transforming him from a timid physicist into a criminally insane megalomaniac.

Armed, quite literally, with four powerful and nearly indestructible tentacles, Octavius took the name Doctor Octopus. He has sought to amass wealth and power through various criminal activities, and has formed gangs, such as the original Sinister Six, in an attempt to dominate crime in New York City. Through the years, Doctor Octopus has shown himself to be one of Spider-Man's most formidable foes, and their battles have proven to be as brutal as any the web-slinger has ever fought.

Octavius is actually murdered by the first clone of Peter Parker, Kain, back when Octavius discovered that Spiderman was Peter Parker and trying to save his life from a deadly virus:

Even after Peter goes into cardiac arrest, Octopus manages to save his life. The virus is conquered and Stunner is sent to get the police. The plan is for Octopus to be arrested and freed by Stunner. Then the long dance between spider and octopus can begin again. Unfortunately, the plan is upset by Kaine, the first clone of Peter Parker, who knocks Stunner unconscious with a gas bomb, then proceeds to murder Doctor Octopus by snapping his neck.

john tv said:
1. What's the best way to go back and re-read all the old ASMs? Back when I was like 15, there were Marvel Masterworks collections... do these still exist? Is there something better now? Fill me in, please!

There is something better: Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider Man! No disrespect meant to Stan Lee and Ditko, but nowadays you'd probably be best off trying to ignore the forty years of mistangled continuity and just starting afresh with Bendis' great dialogue and solid retellings and reintroductions of classic Spidey tales!

COCKLES

being watched
Doc Oct's tentacles were seperate from his body in the comics weren't they? I remember stories where he was controlling them seperately with his mind to run amok on their own while he was held captive in prison IIRC.

FnordChan

john tv said:

If you want Spidey starting from square one, you want:

spiderman-essential-01.jpg

Marvel's Essential line reprints classic (and, in some cases, not-so-classic) comics in black and white, on newsprint, dirt cheap. Each volume contains anywhere from 20 to 25 issues of classic continuity for about 15 bucks. Sure, color and good paper would be nice, but if you just want to read the damn things, this is the best deal going. They're up to volume 6, which goes up to ASM 137, plus assorted other classic issues.

Meanwhile, I second JackFrost2012's Ultimate Spider-Man recommendation. Bendis is doing a terrific job of re-telling the classic Spider-Man continuity, Bagley's art is consistently rock solid, and each and every issue is thoroughly entertaining. Look for the first hardback volume of the series:

UltimateSpiderManV1.jpg

This collects the first 13 issues for roughly $25 in a nice format. It's a solid deal on some damn fine comics. Edit: And the three hardcovers for $40 deal is astounding. Jump on it, even if shipping to Japan is painful.

Thanks for the impressions! And, yes, that's the swankest freebie ever.

FnordChan

Matlock

Banned
I'm going to second (er, wait, it's third now) the recommendation for Ultimate Spider-Man Hardcover Vol 1. I got it right before I watched the original movie, and it's a damn fine read.

Thirteen issues, an almost self-contained storyline (well, one with a satisfying end, at least), and a veritable shitload of extras in the back make the hardcover a good investment. Plus it's oversized. OVERSIZED, DUDE.

This format, and this format alone has forced my hand into buying Absolute Authority ($50 when it first came out, I believe), and Ultimates ($30) hardcovers because it's so damn fine.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Federman was at physical therapy for his busted back. Looks like you guys covered all the bases in my absence.

I'm glad you liked the movie! The consensus seems to be it's better than the original and Doc Ock is an awesome villain.

Doc Ock's origins in the movie follow his comic book beginnings from Amazing Spider-Man, but his personality and newfound homicidal behavior is lifted from Ultimate Spider-Man. In fact, there's a scene in the comics (and this is spoilers) where...

... He kills all the doctors and scientists operating on him. This never happened when he originally debuted in the '60s, but he did kill the doctors who were operating on him in his most modern iteration in Ultimate Spider-Man.

I recommend, as many have already said, you read Ultimate Spider-Man. Bendis' series is more like the movie, in fact, they just did a Spider-Man movie spoof featuring Sam Raimi, Avi Arad and Doc Ock. Plus, it's awesome.

nomoment

I've been very high on Mark Millar's Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, myself. Anybody wanting a fun, Spider-Man romp should check out the first three issues out now:

marvelknightsspiderman1.jpg
spiderman2.jpg
marvelknightspiderman3.jpg

Check out those Ultimate Spider-Man trades as well, and don't forget to read Amazing Spider-Man #509 for free.

Finally, pick up Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home. It collects J. Michael Straczynski's first Spider-Man story, and is a fabulous read.

Asm_CmgHom.jpg

Seth C

I have all three Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers. I definitely recommend them. Great comics, great story, great format, and as someone said...oversized pages with oversized art!

mattx5

I've been out of the comic loop for awhile, so let me get this straight...

They're in the 500s of ASM? Isn't that around where they 'restarted' the original ASM from #1? Are they gonna do it again?

Seth C

mattx5 said:
I've been out of the comic loop for awhile, so let me get this straight...

They're in the 500s of ASM? Isn't that around where they 'restarted' the original ASM from #1? Are they gonna do it again?

They've switched back to the original numbering. Couldn't miss out on the sales #500 would bring. Most Marvel comics now have the original numbering and the new numbering, so they can have big money issues more often. :/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Doc Ock is unconscious during the Spider-Man 2 scene in question.
Doc Ock's arms are partially, and sometimes completely, driven by their own A.I. There's an inhibitor chip on them that let's Doc Ock override all commands by the A.I., but it gets fried in an accident early in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom