• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - Jesus Walks video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekajelly

OMG! P. Diddy has been cloned O_O

2659-252004-20952.jpg

Meier

Cool video although the thing at the end with the KKK dude catching on fire and all was a bit.. weird. It's a great song as well -- one of my favorites on the album.

kevm3

Wow, a music video that actually kept my interest. 1000 times better than that 'bling-bling,' hoes with big asses dancing on hot cars bullshit that has flooded the boob tube.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think it's ridiculous when people claim an allegiance to Jesus without following even 1/4th of what He said. Kanye needs to read through the gospels.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dice said:
I think it's ridiculous when people claim an allegiance to Jesus without following even 1/4th of what He said.

Off Topic but you can say this for 99% of the people that go to church :b

video doesn't work for me...can't connect to server :\

Dice

Off Topic but you can say this for 99% of the people that go to church :b
That is correct, at least in america. Sitting in a garage doesn't make you a car, sitting in a church doesn't make you a christian.

SKluck

Banned
You know, how come no one equates rapping like this to angsty rock like Linkin Park? They are both overly melodramatic out the ass.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dice said:
I think it's ridiculous when people claim an allegiance to Jesus without following even 1/4th of what He said. Kanye needs to read through the gospels.

Ah the righteous minority speaks....

Dice

dskillzhtown said:
Not righteous enough not to post on a board where FHUTA is the norm though.
Good to see I'm held responsible for the actions of others.

andthebeatgoeson

Why the fuck fuckety fuck did WMP try to change my Internet Connection Sharing properties when i tried to check out that video? Even when I don't have ICP enabled (cuz I'm directly connected to a cable modem)? Weird.

Edit: Here's the message:
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe is attempting to change or view this computer's Internet Connection Protection settings. To give C:... permission to edit these settings for as long as the program is open, click YES.

WTF is that?

miyuru

Two Words is a single?

Dammit, I just want New Workout Plan to come out! I thought it would hit before Jesus Walks :-\

kayne west annoys me with all his preaching... i dont buy a f'ing rap album to hear about jesus nor do i want to hear about how the white man is holding you down..

oh really, white man is holding you down, thats why you are rich and i am white and poor? annoying as hell.

loved to see kanye west acting like a stuck up punk snob on Punk'd during the FILMING OF JESUS WALKS video... what a moron.

effzee

LuckyBrand said:
kayne west annoys me with all his preaching... i dont buy a f'ing rap album to hear about jesus nor do i want to hear about how the white man is holding you down..

oh really, white man is holding you down, thats why you are rich and i am white and poor? annoying as hell.

loved to see kanye west acting like a stuck up punk snob on Punk'd during the FILMING OF JESUS WALKS video... what a moron.

he has one song about jesus. get a grip. and then about ur other point u might as well stay away from rap all together cause most all rap mentions racism and how whites are involved in that.

personally i think kanye is just what rap needs. he isnt the best rapper or the best producer but he is solid at both. makes a good combination and best yet he doesnt go around doing the same shit over and over. his videos are always creative and he is mainsteam. hopefully this wakes up all other rappers that u dont need to have every single video full of skanky women and cars and money to make it mainstream. kaney did it with creative videos, creative lyrics, and beat u can tap ur feet to.

karasu

He's rich because he makes music. 0_o It doesn't mean he didn't have a life before that, jesus. And fuck yes, it's good that some conscious hip hop is back in the mainstream.

I think it's ridiculous when people claim an allegiance to Jesus without following even 1/4th of what He said.

You'd have to know the guy to know his struggles with religion , that's not even for you to judge. I'm sure he does nothing worse than Biblical heroes like Davd did. So please, give it a rest.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
karasu said:
He's rich because he makes music. 0_o It doesn't mean he didn't have a life before that, jesus. And fuck yes, it's good that some conscious hip hop is back in the mainstream.

But doesnt that make his point kinda moot? If the man was bringing him down, we wouldnt be listening to his music would we. Itd be better if he was preaching "stop blaming other people and go out and do something for yourself for once"

effzee

kanye doesnt only blame whites. his message is for blacks mainly. listen to some other songs and he mentions how blacks spend too much on things they dont need. rappers buy jewelry and cant buy homes. he talks about the mistakes of blacks also.

karasu

no, because some people are held down/allow themselves to be held down by negative people. Not everyone has a talent that'll make them rich,or the strength to keep a positive attitude. The Temptations were famous as hell too, that doesn't mean that people weren't being held down in the 60's.

effzee said:
he has one song about jesus. get a grip. and then about ur other point u might as well stay away from rap all together cause most all rap mentions racism and how whites are involved in that.

personally i think kanye is just what rap needs. he isnt the best rapper or the best producer but he is solid at both. makes a good combination and best yet he doesnt go around doing the same shit over and over. his videos are always creative and he is mainsteam. hopefully this wakes up all other rappers that u dont need to have every single video full of skanky women and cars and money to make it mainstream. kaney did it with creative videos, creative lyrics, and beat u can tap ur feet to.

when i say preachy, i dont mean just about jesus.. he has songs about being too materialistic, about being bad people, about doing drugs, about how the WHITE MAN makes MONEY OFF OF ALL OF DAT.

i dont buy my rap for a fucking message.. if he wants to talk like that, go do PSA's for saturday morning cartoons..

thats why i listen to three six mafia.. NORTH NORTH!!!

effzee

LuckyBrand said:
when i say preachy, i dont mean just about jesus.. he has songs about being too materialistic, about being bad people, about doing drugs, about how the WHITE MAN makes MONEY OFF OF ALL OF DAT.

i dont buy my rap for a fucking message.. if he wants to talk like that, go do PSA's for saturday morning cartoons..

thats why i listen to three six mafia.. NORTH NORTH!!!

well then i guess dont listen to any concsious rap and lose urself in mindless rap. no offense cause i listen to all sorts of rap but it is nice to finally have someone break it mainstream who carries a message or two especially for young black youth who could use some messages besides bitches, hoes, rims, and money. i say young black youth cause ive found most of the other underground/concious rappers like talib, mos def, or common have mainly non black followings. but kanye is much more mainstream....sort of like nas.

effzee said:
well then i guess dont listen to any concsious rap and lose urself in mindless rap. no offense cause i listen to all sorts of rap but it is nice to finally have someone break it mainstream who carries a message or two especially for young black youth who could use some messages besides bitches, hoes, rims, and money. i say young black youth cause ive found most of the other underground/concious rappers like talib, mos def, or common have mainly non black followings. but kanye is much more mainstream....sort of like nas.

yes thank you kanye west for telling the young black youth that the white man gets PAID OFF OF ALL OF DAT... and I am certainly rolling in the riches because of it!!! hooray for the system that white men get paid from black men's screw ups!!!

hooray kanye west for teaching the black youth to be racist against white people!

effzee

seriously he said that line what in a song once and ur going to claim thats all his message his...and ignore when i pointed out how he critisizes blacks for thier spending and other faults.

and when he mentions a white man gets paid off all of dat he is talking record companies behind these rap acts that seem to only know how to party with bitches/hoes and cars.

firex

maybe I'm taking the message of his cd too literally, but it seemed like Kanye had too many skits/songs about how college is worthless for black people to make me think he has any kind of positive moral message. it's like he's saying "I was successful in rap without going to college, so why should any other blacks go?" with all of his skits making fun of people who go up to doctorate degrees in college, and at one point mocking people who don't go to college but through a character portrayed as a huge loser. I still like a few of the tracks on the cd though - mostly "never let me down," "family business" and "breathe in breathe out" (the parody of bling rap is decent, and even without that the track itself is good).

DMczaf

firex said:
maybe I'm taking the message of his cd too literally, but it seemed like Kanye had too many skits/songs about how college is worthless for black people to make me think he has any kind of positive moral message.

According to Kanye, his plan is for 4 albums

College Dropout

Late Registration

Graduation

Good Ass Job

Saw this somewhere a couple of weeks ago

firex

if he does that, that would be cool. I'd like it if he doesn't include a 20 minute track telling us his life story again though.

Dice

karasu said:
You'd have to know the guy to know his struggles with religion , that's not even for you to judge. I'm sure he does nothing worse than Biblical heroes like Davd did. So please, give it a rest.
To know more personal struggles yes, but not the public ones. His music, his videos, his known lifestyle go against what Christ taught. I'm not talking about american moralism here, I'm talking about naming yourself after Christ and not living in His truth. David made some mistakes, but he stood honestly before God and repented of them (and yes, biblically repentance is a public action). That is something Kanye has not done in many things, nor even acknowledged them to be wrong.

Now scripturally it is not my place to judge if he will go to heaven or not, that is with the Lord. But among christians there is a corporate responsibility to hold one another accountable to God's calling upon us. And just as Christ did, if there is an example of someone claiming to be of God and living the contrary, it is my place to warn others against thinking that is what real christianity is.

This thread was made to discuss his new video/song, you can give your view of it and I can give mine. I think it's ridiculous because his claims do not follow with his actions.

Ceros said:
After that being said, your opinion on ANYTHING rap related is null. Sorry. :(

I CARE. NO REALLY, I DO.

And yah, the whole bashing college thing was really lame... not a good example.. yah kanye, every kid out there will go and make beats and get rich, good thinking. his over abundance of lame college bashing jokes leads me to believe that he is still sensitive about dropping out and insecure about it..

i do like his CD, i just feel he is way too cocky and way too preachy on his album.. i dont give a shit what kanye thinks about if college is good or not...

DMczaf

Theres actually 3 videos for Jesus Walks

Heres another one

http://www.mtv.com/music/video/premiere/kanye_west/index.jhtml

If you dont have real player, get Real Alternative!

http://e9.edskes.com/realalt123.exe <--it rocks!

And a press release from MTV

Source: MTV News

NEW YORK — Kanye West doesn't do anything by half. At the Tribeca Cinemas Monday night, not only did he screen three different videos for the same song, "Jesus Walks," he let everyone know that money was a small price to pay to get his vision out there.

"This is a song that is very important to me," West told the crowd before admitting he'd actually wanted to do five videos for the song.

West had wanted Hype Williams to direct "Jesus Walks" but decided not to use the director because he'd heard that Jay-Z was thinking about using Hype for "99 Problems" (ultimately, that video was directed by Mark Romanek). Admitting to a bit of "big brother/little brother" competition with Hov, Kanye went with Michael Haussman for the first version of "Jesus Walks," budgeted at $600,000.

In that version, West preaches to a congregation from an altar while angels guide three people, who are embroiled in life's strife, to church. Kanye wasn't satisfied with that clip and hit up label head Dame Dash for $500,000 to shoot another clip.

The Chris Milk-helmed second version — probably the most visually riveting and undoubtedly the most controversial of the three — includes footage of drug dealers being pursued through the desert by cops, inmates on a chain gang tangling with guards, and a Ku Klux Klansman setting himself on fire while carrying a burning cross.

The much less expensive final clip, the most comical of the three, was shot in one day, guerrilla-style, in Chicago and depicts Jesus following Kanye from his house through the 'hood and to church. It was co-directed by West with Coodie and Chike of Channel Zero.

"All of them are groundbreaking," West said about the clips. "That song evokes so much emotion, and four minutes of imagery limits the ideas that you're supposed to give for the songs, so I had to do three. We're probably gonna put together a DVD [with all of them]."

Even though the song and its videos will probably push West's debut, The College Dropout, past the 2 million sales mark, he'll be the first to tell you that he had to work to score the opening slot on this summer's Usher tour.

"You know I be coming up on TV and be saying a bunch of arrogant sh-- or whatever," he said. "But I'll tell you right now, I had my manager call his mama, I had my mama call his mama — I called and begged to get on this tour, 'cause I needed to be on that. When I tell people that [I'm going to be on the tour], they be like 'Damn! That's gonna be the tour of the summer.' "

The Chi-Town native's reaction was even less inhibited. "I was dancing around the house like in 'The Five Heartbeats,' when they first heard their song on the radio," he said.

Fans can look forward to hearing a Kanye and Usher collaboration any day now: There's a remix of "Confessions, Pt. 2" on the radio and mixtapes that features Kanye, Twista and the incarcerated Shyne.

Kanye teased a little bit of his verse. "Damn, how did you bring it up/ How did it you break it down/ Man, you at the clinic?" He paused for a moment — "Ah, I ain't gonna give you all that, man" — before continuing. "I remember old girl, mm-hmmm, we met her on tour/ I see your baby dance good as hell. It's yours!"

The rapping producer has more than enough to keep his schedule filled through the end of the year. He wants to start on his next album, Late Registration, right after the Usher tour, and his clothing line, Mascott, may be hitting by the fall.

"I don't want to give too much away, but all I'm gonna say is I am real serious," he said about the line. "I go in with the designers and sit with the cat and do the colors. It's not something I am just signing off [on]. I went to art school and I've got a love for clothes. I'm not just trying to make clothes as something to make money. I go to the Polo store or Tommy Hilfiger and I [feel there's] something I want that they don't have; that's what I try to design."

Kanye also talked about his jewelry line, made in association with Jacob the Jeweler.

"People got confused that it's a religious line," he clarified. "I'm coming up with all different types of jewelry pieces. I came into the store and I was tired of everything I saw. The last good Jesus piece that was made was the one Biggie bought out. It was time to innovate."

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dice said:
Now scripturally it is not my place to judge if he will go to heaven or not, that is with the Lord.

At least you admit your hypocrisy. I suppose we could turn this in to a huge religious debate but quite honestly I find it pretty callous and less than christian of you to down someone who you know very little about public or private. Isn't it the responsibility of christians to help raise others? I don't remember that you help raise others by downing them. Though I've been an adult many years you remind me of the older members of our church. So set in their ways and assured that there is only one way that people can seek salvation through Jesus.

Walk your path, let him walk his. You'll both have to answer for your actions at the end. And as you yourself said... you have no place to judge his religious core.

As an aside I finally picked this CD last week... and thought it was interesting. I certainly didn't take away from it that black people shouldn't go to college.... that MIGHT be Kanye's opinion, but that an opinion, not a fact. And since we know the reality of situation(that most folks should go to college), who gives a sh*t what one person thinks? I enjoyed many of the tracks AND I actually really enjoyed the last track that talked about how he made it... will I listen to it each time I listen to the CD? Probably not, but it was still a nice trip to the inside of how things go in the music industry, stuff we don't always hear about.

tt_deeb

Kanye West is Christian rap!!!

And how come he reminds me of that one dude in American Idol...George, I think his name was.

Dice

DarienA said:
At least you admit your hypocrisy. I suppose we could turn this in to a huge religious debate but quite honestly I find it pretty callous and less than christian of you to down someone who you know very little about public or private.
I don't need to know the man to recognize his publically displayed unbiblical use of money, exploitation of women and a couple other things. You think Christ wasn't serious about obeying Him? Read Matthew 7, the whole gospel of John, etc. Take the apostles teachings into account and it's even greater. If you want to know what this obedience looks like, just read the bible more, it's all over it.

Isn't it the responsibility of christians to help raise others? I don't remember that you help raise others by downing them.
How is it loving to say a person is doing alright when they aren't according to God's defined law? We are supposed to raise each other up by exhorting each other to love and obey the Lord, not live lives which bring us under His judgment. Read Jeremiah 23, you personally come under judgment if you tell people they're doing ok/will be ok when they are really under God's judgment. I don't want to say God is cool with Kanye when He clearly is not by what He has said.

Though I've been an adult many years you remind me of the older members of our church. So set in their ways and assured that there is only one way that people can seek salvation through Jesus.
You mean like the bible says? I don't know what Jesus you are talking about, but it is obviously not Jesus Christ of the bible. If you readily admit you doubt the authority of scripture then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree as our views have entirely different foundations. Though I would wonder how anyone could have a certain doctrinal foundation of heaven, hell and salvation in Jesus Christ without having a certain belief in the bible.

Walk your path, let him walk his. You'll both have to answer for your actions at the end. And as you yourself said... you have no place to judge his religious core.
No, that is not what I said, I said I have no place to judge whever or not he will go to heaven. Meaning that God may yet show abundant grace and lead him to a faith which bears the fruit of repentance. However, that does not mean I cannot currently recognize what is scripturally defined as unrepented wickedness ("bad fruit" as described in Matthew 7) in what Kanye has often publically displayed.

He can choose to live as he may, we all have that right and I am not trying to take it from him by making this statement. I am simply making the statement that I think it is ridiculous to claim to be a follower of Christ while not following Christ's teachings. Why am I not allowed to voice that opinion?

Does it make me a hypocrite in your eyes, because you think Christ taught that we can not warn others about sinful actions and God's revealed judgment of them? I disagree on that point, but if that is your position, how then could you not likewise call Kanye a hypocrite for not following other teachings of Christ? You're holding a double standard.

DMczaf

DMczaf said:
Theres actually 3 videos for Jesus Walks

Heres another one

http://www.mtv.com/music/video/premiere/kanye_west/index.jhtml

If you dont have real player, get Real Alternative!

http://e9.edskes.com/realalt123.exe <--it rocks!

Found the 3rd version

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,p442gb9270-10185,00.html#

And I found this pretty damn funny

Earlier this week, Kanye visited 106 & Park to premier his "Jesus Walks" video. Minutes before the presentation, co-host Free asked Kanye who he would be if he was a cartoon character. Though he initially answered that he would be "A Bug's Life's main character, Kanye later interrupted Free to address what he deemed an inappropriate question. "Yo Free, who they got writing these questions," Kanye asked. "I bring you a video about Jesus, and you're sitting here asking me questions bout cartoons? Geez!" Free then stared at Ye, visibly heated before giving him a chance to finish his thoughts. An awkward silence followed and they then quickly cut into the video. Since the minor incident, heads have been siding with Kanye and Free. While some feel the episode was another sample of Kanye's arrogance, others believe that the question was inappropriate considering the seriousness of the video's content. More heads have also applauded Kanye for speaking out instead of remaining silence like artists often do.

LOL!

andthebeatgoeson

LuckyBrand said:
I CARE. NO REALLY, I DO.

And yah, the whole bashing college thing was really lame... not a good example.. yah kanye, every kid out there will go and make beats and get rich, good thinking. his over abundance of lame college bashing jokes leads me to believe that he is still sensitive about dropping out and insecure about it..

i do like his CD, i just feel he is way too cocky and way too preachy on his album.. i dont give a shit what kanye thinks about if college is good or not...

So, stupid messages about money, hoes and clothes = good. Messages about having doubts about college from a PERSONAL view, messages about relating to Jesus on a PERSONAL level = bad? Jesus fuckin christ, it's his own thoughts. He's not trying to promote leaving college or joining The Church of Latter Day Saints. He's doing a great job of avoiding the norm. If you consider him preaching, maybe you are insecure about college and religion. If it bothers you so much when he mentions ways to improve people's life, maybe you are so secure in your. People often say red meat is bad for ya....doesn't stop me from eating a burger and feeling great about it. And he probably doesn't give a shit about your feelings about his feelings. Personally, I'd rather him preach about self-improvement than attaining more material shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom