• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy appreciation thread

Diablos

A couple people I talked to suggested this game. Just when I had lost hope in the future of console gaming, at least for this gen... along comes Katamari Damacy. Original and unique gameplay, great graphics, fun soundtrack (I love the jazzy song), and not to mention challenging at times. I'm on Make a Star 7, I gotta get my ball to like 6m, it's quite challenging for a game that seems so simple. This is Sony's Jet Set Radio. Best $20 spent on a game in a long, long, long time. Thank you once again Namco for an awesome game.

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already, except that this is the first game in a long while to suprise me, I mean, we all get a pretty accurate idea about what current hardware can and can't do, and when I saw the depth of field and sheer scale working in KD, I was awed that the PS2 was running this.

Ranger X

My god. Are gamers so bored and games in general so similar that we are all impressed by originality like that?
Katarami is fresh of course and it's a good game but nowhere near the savior of something.

impirius

I was wondering when GAF was going to find out about this game

Man, I say let's be patient and let Namco take their time with Katamari 2. I'm hoping KD will follow the Pikmin Path to Success (TM): The first game introduces a fresh idea and style of gameplay, and the sequel refines that gameplay and throws in plenty of content, depth, and play modes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was wondering when GAF was going to find out about this game
You.. haven't been here much, have you? Masturbating for Katamari was in full force here couple of weeks ago. I'd say this forum was one of the hubs for the Katamari viral marketing. Awesome little game, btw. Funny thing about it is that it's one of those games that I'm sure most people who never play games would like, but those people will never know about it to begin with. It could have been a New Tetris if Namco was smart about it.

Level 7 music is just so damn good.

olimario

Banned
somnific said:
yes, Tenshifuumi no Okurimono definitely rocks. i play level 7 just to listen to it.

No! That's the only song that makes me want to put a drill through my head!
All those beeps and boops are maddening!!!

I love the rest of the soundtrack, though.

aku:jiki

Marconelly said:
You.. haven't been here much, have you? Masturbating for Katamari was in full force here couple of weeks ago.
I'd even go so far as to say that the import buzz from back in April was even bigger than the US release circle jerks. And the game actually deserves it for once!

Dujour

Banned
I downloaded the soundtrack a few months ago, but there weren't as many threads a week about the game as there are recently. It's no Ico, but it's a reason to own a PS2.

somnific

olimario said:
No! That's the only song that makes me want to put a drill through my head!
All those beeps and boops are maddening!!!

I love the rest of the soundtrack, though.

while i love the rest of the soundtrack, that's definitely the highlight for me.

it's like something from the books, telefon telaviv, or m83. fucking rocks, but i can understand how it might not be everyone's cup of tea. i'm guessing that you don't dig that kind of music anyway.

Marconelly said:
Since I don't understand Japanese, do you by any chance know what does the name of that song mean?

not really sure... something about presents? i'm probably way off though.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Restored my faith in gaming. Hope they take their time with the sequel, there's *a lot* that could be done with the multiplayer side of things.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Katamari is a game made by very smart and very creative people. Those guys, team Ico and Clover (and although I haven't played it, I'd be very inclined to put Nintendo's studio that developed Pikmin together with them) are giving me the hope that this is the new Japanese development we'll be seeing more of. Enough with the boobies, JRPG teenage dramas and broken voice acting. We have grown up, and so should our games :))

while i love the rest of the soundtrack, that's definitely the highlight for me.
That and the intro/last level song (Katamari on the Rocks). The intro song is so ridiculously happy-happy, and so is the whole intro animation. It just fills me with joy every time I boot the game :D

it's like something from the books, telefon telaviv, or m83. fucking rocks
Hehe, you and I obviously speak the same language when it comes to music. The song #7 really is that good, that I'd put it with the good stuff made by those guys. And it actually reminded me of them as well.

mCACGj

Well I dont know how true it is, but talking to the manager of the local EB, he said that the sequel is coming to the US around next summer. Here's to hopin!

Top Bottom