• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy is GOLD

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/07/news_6106763.html

Namco Hometek today announced that its quirky action title Katamari Damacy has gone gold, and will ship to retailers beginning on September 21. Originally released in Japan earlier this year, Katamari Damacy quickly reached cult-classic status among import gamers and fans of Japanese design. The game will retail for only $19.99.

Even Namco has trouble finding the words to describe Katamari Damacy's gameplay, calling it a ‘rolling, sticking, never-stopping, ever-swelling clump of stuff that makes a star out of everyone and everything game’ In the game, the title for which translates as "clump of souls," the player is the Prince of the Cosmos, who is charged with creating new stars in the sky by rolling up as many earthly objects as possible into a giant mass, regardless of their shape or size.

Shown off in a hard-to-find corner of Namco's booth at this year's E3, Katamari Damacy drew crowds anyway and won praise not only for its unique and intuitive gameplay but for its singular, quirky art style and original soundtrack, which features catchy smooth jazz tunes sung in both English and Japanese. More information, as well as screenshots, can be found on with our recent--and exclusive--hands-on.

olimario

Banned
Whoo Hoo! I can't wait.
I'll be getting this release day and I'll have Pikmin 2 and Activision Anthology to hold me over until then.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oh man, I can't afford it right now, but I have a horrible feeling this game will turn into the next ICO and just cost me more later when you can't find it anywhere.

Wait...$20? I can afford that!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm ready! Such a long wait...but such a sweet price. :D

Serafitia said:
XB DEF JAM: FIGHT FOR N.Y. [49.99]
XB KINGDOM UNDER FIRE: THE CRUSADERS [39.99]
XB STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT [49.99]
XB YAGER [19.99]
XB HEADHUNTER REDEMPTION [39.99]
PS2 BLOOD WILL TELL [39.99]
PS2 DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION EXTREME [39.99]
PS2 FINAL FANTASY XI: CHAINS OF PROMATHIA [29.99]
PS2 KATAMARI DAMASHI [19.99]
PS2 MONSTER HUNTER [49.99]
GC MEGA MAN X COMMAND MISSION [49.99]

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Awesome. That's the first list in a long time I've seen that only has one game I want on it. It's like the good old days.

Mairu

Mr_Furious said:
XB YAGER [19.99]
+ Star Wars DVDs & Mr. Show Season 4

Spike

Mr_Furious said:
XB YAGER [19.99]

Mairu said:
too much shit is coming out on september 21st :(

Yup, you're right.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Defensor said:
So is does this mean the original soundtrack present?
From what I have heard, the only changes are the intro has a slightly different mix of the theme song, and the tutorial stage has new music. Otherwise, the soundtrack is completely untouched.

bjork

Is this going to be like Dog's Life, and be a title that I can't find at retail?

Maybe I should just order it online.

Saw Dog's Life at GameStop last night.

How long does this game last and how is the replay value? That's my only real concern... it looks like a blast otherwise.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Playing the import right now. Pretty fun, pretty damn bizarre. Reminds me a lot of Monty Python too.

Nester

September 21st is my wedding anniversary. That takes a chunk out of my game spending budget for the week.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SpeedRazor said:
September 21st is my wedding anniversary. That takes a chunk out of my game spending budget for the week.
When I play it I will have a glass of champaign and make a toast for you while I roll around a huge ball of trash.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doom_Bringer said:
What the hell is this game all about?

Life, love, honor, and rolling balls of trash around.

aku:jiki

Semjaza Azazel said:
How long does this game last and how is the replay value? That's my only real concern... it looks like a blast otherwise.
It's pretty bad in that aspect, honestly. I beat it in one day, clearing every level aside from a few of the tougher "challenge" variety levels, and didn't really find any of the collectables worth it.

That's so very beside the point, though. I swear to you that you'll be happy with your purchase even if you beat it in an hour. It's just that kind of game. It makes you feel good.

ferricide

aku:jiki said:
It's pretty bad in that aspect, honestly. I beat it in one day, clearing every level aside from a few of the tougher "challenge" variety levels, and didn't really find any of the collectables worth it.
the collectables are more fun in english because the descriptions are really funny. personally, i really like all the thought that went into the items, too, so i love filling up those charts.

Soul4ger

I'm really worried about this not being readily available in-store, at least at EB. I already pre-ordered mine, but I tried ordering another one online (to send to my store, just to be safe), and, sadly, it wouldn't let me. I had Growlanser Generations and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne in my cart, all to send to the store for pre-orders, and while those two RPGs could go, Katamari couldn't -- I had to ship it to my billing/mailing address. Gives me a sour feeling that it could be online-exclusive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I preordered it at Software Etc. a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't really in the system. They better get it cause I don't want to buy it online

I preordered it at EB when I picked up Pikmin 2 and Phantom Brave, made sure to pay the whole thing off too... so I should be getting it...

Soul4ger

Mr. Lemming said:
I preordered it at EB when I picked up Pikmin 2 and Phantom Brave, made sure to pay the whole thing off too... so I should be getting it...

Not necessarily. There have been a couple smaller games that people have pre-ordered, but we never got in. It happens. For whatever reason, they hold on to some software just because. I pre-ordered mine in full, too, but that didn't stop me from trying to get another one, just so they made sure to send one. Like I said, though, it wouldn't let me. Phear.

I've noticed a bunch of games that wouldn't let you do the instore pickup thing online though (Outrun 2 for instance). I'm not really sure how that is related to what the individual stores will get in stock.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder if I could just drive up to Namco's place directly and buy it from there, haha. They're only like 10 miles away from me...

P90

Pre-ordered mine a while back. Being a virtual dung beetle sounds pretty cool. The quirkiness of the game reminds me of Cubivore. :D

Top Bottom