• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Soundtrack: UNCHANGED (1UP)

BuddyC

YES YES YES YES YES
Namco representatives today confirmed that the American version of the game will also feature an unchanged soundtrack, meaning the original version's quirky blend of jazz, rock, synth-pop, and less easily-defined tunes will remain intact. It will also have a battle mode where two players can compete to roll up the largest lump of stuff.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3133550

cabel

6.8 said:
Well that was very convincing! Thanks!

Here, maybe I can help out a bit.

Track 1 is awesome
Track 2 is even better
Track 3 is very gentle
Track 4 is head-bouncing
Track 5 is retro
Track 6 is, eh, so-so
Track 7 is very Cornelius-esque
Track 8, well, now here's a great track, wish you could hear this one
Track 9 is glitchy-delightful
Track 10 makes me want a chibi gin tonic
Track 11 is amazing
Track 12 swings
Track 13 iis stunning
Track 14 is bossacutanovalicious
Track 15? Track 15 is delightful, glad you asked
Track 16 is quite amazing
Track 17 frightens me a little bit
Track 18 is exactly nine seconds long
Track 19 demands maracas
Track 20 will knock you on your ass
Track 21 is the cigarette you smoke after all this joy

Hope this helps!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You could also buy it here:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003269679/did-0/code-j/section-music/

Personally I find the way people turn a blind eye to rips of game soundtracks a bit odd when there is an official version available. Check out rips to see if you like it, but if you do like it put your money where your mouth is. If you are waiting to buy the US game when it comes out then that is some sort of defense, but even still ...

I mean no one on here would advocate people downloading a rip of the game would they? So treat the music with the same respect.

Rant over ;)

Nash said:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003269679/did-0/code-j/section-music/

Personally I find the way people turn a blind eye to rips of game soundtracks a bit odd when there is an official version available. Check out rips to see if you like it, but if you do like it put your money where your mouth is. If you are waiting to buy the US game when it comes out then that is some sort of defense, but even still ...

I mean no one on here would advocate people downloading a rip of the game would they? So treat the music with the same respect.

Rant over ;)

I'd rather buy the game and rip the soundtrack. :) The only difference with buying the soundtrack is Columbia Music gets their cut instead of Namco.

Belfast

The KD OST is nice, but I still prefer the rips. They're longer and weren't there some songs NOT included on the OST?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Belfast said:
The KD OST is nice, but I still prefer the rips. They're longer and weren't there some songs NOT included on the OST?

Yeah, but there's also some songs on the OST that's not in the rip. And I prefer the longer rips too

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That Gin song has little send offs to "Sing sing sing" and "It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)" sweet \m/

Does this game have a US date yet?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Told you so. :D

Oh yeah, +1 Namco.

And it is true, OSTOTY. There are a few tracks on this soundtrack that I consider some of the best stuff ever composed for a game. And the main theme is so awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
scola said:
That Gin song has little send offs to "Sing sing sing" and "It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing)" sweet \m/

Does this game have a US date yet?
Septemer. I think that is as specific as we know.

Nash said:

For whatever it's worth, almost every time I've pasted the link to my rip I've strongly recommended that people both download it and buy the real thing. I try to fairly illustrate the pros and cons of each, as well as the importance of giving a few (well ok, $30, which is probably more than the game will cost in the US) bucks to the people who created this awesome music.

In this case it's kinda hard to fairly compare my rip to the OST, considering that (as a few people have mentioned) the OST has half-length tracks. It sounds nice, but it's not an accurate representation of the actual music, in its entirety, that you hear during the game. Also, comparing a rip of music from a game to a rip of an actual game is a bit of a stretch. It's not like I extracted the music files from the DVD and put them up for all to steal - I basically spent an entire day hooking up the connections and recording, cleaning up, translating and mp3ing the files, all (initially) for the benefit of myself and other early-adopter Katamari fans who owned the game and were posting in the huge initial corresponding thread. We're talking about an amateur recording here, not the distribution of a complete, copyrighted product. The whole point of making the rip, outside of allowing myself and others to listen to the music outside of the game, was to increase awareness of the game and soundtrack in hopes that other people will buy it/them. It was not supposed to take away from the sales of either whatsoever. If that were the goal, I would've spent the last 4 months directing people to the readily available (via torrents, ftps, irc, etc) rips of the entire game and OST instead of to my fan-ripped bootleg.

I know at least 10-15 people off the top of my head who had never heard of the game before hearing my rip, and whose interest level jumped from 0 to 100 simply by listening to the tracks. Several of them bought the import immediately, and the others are waiting for the US release. And those are just the ones who told me about it. It's impossible to say how many friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends have had similar reactions to the music, but I'm guessing quite a few have. With that in mind, is capturing and spreading around the music from the game as a means of promoting the game really much different than capturing and distributing videos of it being played? What about videos of every single level being played from start to finish - is that the same thing as 'ripping the game'? Where is the line drawn, anyway?

Really, gamerips are a pretty grey area as far as legality is concerned, but in my opinion no harm (and very possibly some good) has been done here. This will probably sound corny as hell, not to mention self-congratulatory, but in a way I really do believe that this kind of pure guerilla-style promotion and celebration of a game can generate the kind of 'buzz' that underdog games like Katamari really need. At least to an extent, publishers do read forums and fan-sites and definitely take keen note of what people are saying about their games. I have serious doubts that KD would've even been considered for US release, much less with original title and music in-tact, if not for the explosion of excitement surrounding it on message boards and web sites. And the rip is just one little part of all of that - a nice chunk of the game that speaks volumes about its character and charm, and piques the interest of practically anyone who takes the time to listen to it. Here's hoping they all end up buying it.

So if you like the music, please do buy the game. If you're feeling super-nice, buy the OST too. It has nice liner notes with lyrics. Until then, I hope you enjoy my rip. Feel free to spread it around like you're in junior high, trading dubbed cassettes of your favorite obscure punk rock bands.

Top Bottom