• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KenRan (SCEJ) ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whoa, I've never heard of that...

Is this a new Bones animation production (the anime, not the game)? Kenran Butou Matsuri?

I'm going to have to look over that site...

MmmBeef

If the game is as boring and uneventful as the anime (at least the first 13 episodes, I gave up after that) I'll pass.

dark10x said:
No good, eh? Damn...

I actually quite like Kenran Butoh Sai - it's a standard 'adventure' style series, which turns some people off, but all in all it beats the hell out of a lot of other series I can think of.

The world design also lends itself quite well to a game, but I honestly don't have high hopes for this one. Expecting great anime-adaptation games is only slightly more likely than a great movie-adaptation game.

MmmBeef said:
If the game is as boring and uneventful as the anime (at least the first 13 episodes, I gave up after that) I'll pass.
If you say so. :p I found it to be a lot of fun, and it's Bones' typical excellent quality.

The game is set in the world of the anime and you interact with characters from the show and other characters. You don't play as the main character; you play as yourself, essentially, and the game simulates the world of the anime around you. Developed by Alfa System, who was also in part behind the show.

dark10x

Conflicting opinions eh? Guess I will give it a shot...

I had hoped, as a Bones production, that it would be pretty good.

Shouta

Bones' Karakurikiden Hiowu Senki rocks.

The Mars daybreak is ok but it's just a bit uneventful honestly. I love the dolphin in the diving suit though.

Meier

ferricide said:
bones is teh overrated.

Not really. Bones is definitely the top tv anime studio in Japan right now even if Kenran has been a bit of a misfire. Some of their series are better than others, but at their peak, no one is particularly close other than IG and their productions are fairly rare (discounting their XEBEC subsidiary which is very run-of-the-mill).

Shouta

Saying Bones is the top tv anime studio right now isn't saying much Meier. The anime scene in Japan has been a wasteland since 1999 honestly and it isn't surprising that Bones would be the top especially when their compeitition is something like Gonzo (BARF).

Meier

Yeah, there's been just an absolute shitload of terrible shows the past few years. It's sad GONZO is so damn inconsistent. I still contend LAST EXILE was easily one of 2003's best shows. I'm so over anime right now though... god I'd kill for an Ippo sequel. But still, RahXephon is one of the best anime in general in my opinion and not just in recent years. Not to mention quite a few other stellar productions.

Shouta

It's time for you to check out older shows then. Last Exile was good but fizziled out for me and RahXephon sucked ;p.

dark10x

Gungrave is recent and is one of the best TV anime shows I've ever seen...

The characterizations were incredibly well done and the show was dead serious in tone (and quite sad at times). I agree that anime in general has taken a nosedive as of late...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kenran Butoh Sai just screamed "generic" to me. I watched maybe the first 5 or 6 episodes before I gave up. There was just an overwhelming sense that I had seen this show before.

Top Bottom